Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 12:48 PM

17,380 posts, read 14,911,744 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain just what the deal is that, seemingly, when someone is elected as a sheriff, they are required to immediately start breaking the law?

Saw where Union County sheriff David Taylor is under investigation..Again. Of course the previous sheriff, Howard Wells was convicted and spent 90 days in jail 10 years ago and is under indictment again facing 45 years.

Laurens county's former sheriff Ricky Chastain just didn't get charges stuck to him.. But did get caught taking his mistress to Charlotte for an abortion and losing massive amounts of evidence. And, this asshat is running for sheriff again.. And putting out signs saying "Re-Elect".. Which I find right in line with his character. He's not in office now, so..I find it disingenuous to say 're-elect'. Yeah, he held the office before, so while it may technically be right, he's trying to fool people into thinking he's the incumbent.

Greenville's had some winners, too.. Such as Will Lewis. But.. Also some decent people.. I don't think anyone has ever thought Johnny Mack Brown was corrupt.. Who was the one who died in his car at Faris and Augusta years back?

Chuck Wright in Spartanburg seems pretty on the level. I knida look at him like the guy down in Laurens now. They try to take the spotlight and run their mouths a bit more than i'd like, but.. They get the job done, and done right.

There's been several sheriffs in the past year or two down Columbia/Florence who were drummed out of office.. One I think on a murder charge?

and then people come out and ask "Should a sheriff be held to a higher standard"?.. Well.. Yeah.. but even if you disagree with that, they should at least be held to the SAME standards that the rest of society is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 01:16 PM

5,617 posts, read 5,753,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Can anyone explain just what the deal is that, seemingly, when someone is elected as a sheriff, they are required to immediately start breaking the law?

Saw where Union County sheriff David Taylor is under investigation..Again. Of course the previous sheriff, Howard Wells was convicted and spent 90 days in jail 10 years ago and is under indictment again facing 45 years.

Laurens county's former sheriff Ricky Chastain just didn't get charges stuck to him.. But did get caught taking his mistress to Charlotte for an abortion and losing massive amounts of evidence. And, this asshat is running for sheriff again.. And putting out signs saying "Re-Elect".. Which I find right in line with his character. He's not in office now, so..I find it disingenuous to say 're-elect'. Yeah, he held the office before, so while it may technically be right, he's trying to fool people into thinking he's the incumbent.

Greenville's had some winners, too.. Such as Will Lewis. But.. Also some decent people.. I don't think anyone has ever thought Johnny Mack Brown was corrupt.. Who was the one who died in his car at Faris and Augusta years back?

Chuck Wright in Spartanburg seems pretty on the level. I knida look at him like the guy down in Laurens now. They try to take the spotlight and run their mouths a bit more than i'd like, but.. They get the job done, and done right.

There's been several sheriffs in the past year or two down Columbia/Florence who were drummed out of office.. One I think on a murder charge?

and then people come out and ask "Should a sheriff be held to a higher standard"?.. Well.. Yeah.. but even if you disagree with that, they should at least be held to the SAME standards that the rest of society is.
Taylor was under investigation not too long ago for something.

Chastian, I aint going there since she is family. But Don is no prize himself, but his past has nothing to do with the person he is now. Hes doing a great job, I feel.

Sam Simmons.

Lewis, well she agreed to it so thats that. She got her 15 minutes of fame, he got jail time. We all recall the deatils.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:18 PM

205 posts, read 211,416 times
Cash Williams was Greenville County Sheriff before Johnny Mack. Speaking of... murderetcpodcast. There's actually breaking news in that case, at the moment.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 7,246,826 times
Also Chester County Sherriff Alex Underwood was suspended under federal indictment and SLED investigation for falsifying evidence, excessive force, false arrest, and civil rights violations. But apparently has filed for reelection anyway while investigation continues.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gville75 View Post
Cash Williams was Greenville County Sheriff before Johnny Mack. Speaking of... murderetcpodcast. There's actually breaking news in that case, at the moment.

I thought there was someone in between.. Who was it that died at Faris and Pleasantburg? Was that, perhaps the city chief of police? As I recall, had a heart attack and wrecked his vehicle. Heart attack killed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Also Chester County Sherriff Alex Underwood was suspended under federal indictment and SLED investigation for falsifying evidence, excessive force, false arrest, and civil rights violations. But apparently has filed for reelection anyway while investigation continues.

Name 5 people not named Gotti in the past 30 years that have gotten off from federal charges once an indictment has been handed down. I'll spot you one.. Vince McMahon. They have some astonishing 98% conviction rate or something like that.

John Oliver did a spot on this a while back.. Interesting watch.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:05 PM

5,617 posts, read 5,753,613 times
Quote:
I thought there was someone in between.. Who was it that died at Faris and Pleasantburg? Was that, perhaps the city chief of police? As I recall, had a heart attack and wrecked his vehicle. Heart attack killed him.

Name 5 people not named Gotti in the past 30 years that have gotten off from federal charges once an indictment has been handed down. I'll spot you one.. Vince McMahon. They have some astonishing 98% conviction rate or something like that.

John Oliver did a spot on this a while back.. Interesting watch.
Sam Simmons

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sherif...elling/7008316

Was this ever fixed?

Old 05-24-2020, 08:18 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,990,956 times
Governor Henry McMaster has suspended and/or removed three sheriffs from their offices:
  • Greenville County: Will Lewis (South Carolina Executive Order: 2018-15 (suspension from office), 2019-36 (removal from office))
  • Florence County: Kenny Boone (South Carolina Executive Order: 2019-15 (suspension from office), 2020-02 (removal from office))
  • Colleton County: Robert Strickland (South Carolina Executive Order: 2019-37 (suspension from office))

Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,990,956 times
Quote:

I am trying to research the crime rate and types of crime being committed frequently in Union County. I would expect the crime rate to be higher as Union County has one of the smallest populations in South Carolina.

Both David Taylor and Howard Wells are Democrats. The same can be said for the constituents and most elected officials in and from Union County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18
Chastain served Laurens County dishonorably. Being pro-crime, a Democrat initially elected in 2000, then re-elected as a Republican in name only in 2004, 2008, and 2012 made for 16 years of drama and sanctuary county for crime.

Quote:
Johnny Mack Brown, a Democrat, did his job well as Greenville County Sheriff from 1976 through 2000 and from 2018 through earlier this year on. Law enforcement has changed since Brown retired from office in 2000.

Sam Simmons, the first Republican elected Greenville County Sheriff in decades or in history, sustained a fatal heart attack that created a three-vehicle wreck at South Pleasantburg Drive and East Faris Road in September 2002. He was Brown's Chief Deputy before being elected Sheriff in 2000.

Quote:
Chuck Wright gets jobs done and done right indeed.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am trying to research the crime rate and types of crime being committed frequently in Union County. I would expect the crime rate to be higher as Union County has one of the smallest populations in South Carolina.

Both David Taylor and Howard Wells are Democrats. The same can be said for the constituents and most elected officials in and from Union County.

I don't really see politics, so far as Republican vs Democrat making a whole lot of difference at the sheriff level. So.. To me, that's rather irrelevant.

Union county, to me, the biggest problem is the unemployment rate. Which leads to higher drug usage.. Which leads to higher crime.

But, Union, while being 15th in the state at 3.9% pre-pandemic, is generally viewed as much worse than #16, Abbeville, which was at 3.8.

Quote:
Chastain served Laurens County dishonorably. Being pro-crime, a Democrat initially elected in 2000, then re-elected as a Republican in name only in 2004, 2008, and 2012 made for 16 years of drama and sanctuary county for crime.
Ugh.. so many things we could talk about in Laurens. Even the CITY Police have problems. The Captain there was accused of drunk driving and using racial slurs back in '16 and last info I have is that he was suspended again in October.. Rather "Administrative Leave".. And was being investigated by SLED.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:11 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,256,301 times
In the south, county sheriffs wield more power than almost anyone else at the county level. That broad power eventually leads some that are well intentioned when they take office down the path of corruption and abuse of power. Those that were less well intentioned when they take office are even more quickly led down a bad path. My general belief is that sheriffs along with most other elected officials should be replaced every few election cycles to bring in people that still understand the perspective of the general public that they represent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area