U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 10:12 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,551,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The DC is going to Ahold Delhaise according to this. I guess there could be other potential transactions with the remaining stores and announcements forthcoming. Not sure who would be interested unless it is Publix. Doesn't seem to be common for Harris Teeter or Lowe's to acquire a competitors footprint. They have been building from ground up.
Wonder if this explains Lowe's Foods reversal and decision to build the Pelham Rd store if they heard these changes were coming.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...astern-grocers
The Lowes Foods on Pelham being back on probably was a one two punch with Bilo likely being completely divested and Earth Fare closing. I think that area is prime for a Harris Teeter so they probably want to try and get in before that happens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 04:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 953,729 times
Quote:
That's why I question the need for 4 supermarkets on that stretch of W. Georgia.

I have been in that Hwy 25 FL many times and it can get quite busy. Guess it serves that end of things with less competition.
I just don't get the appeal of Neighborhood Market or the Supercenters and their lines especially right now. I look for the places with less people. LOL.
Agreed - I’d drive by 3 wal mart types and turn left. The Wm experience isn’t for me.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 953,729 times
Quote:
The DC is going to Ahold Delhaise according to this. I guess there could be other potential transactions with the remaining stores and announcements forthcoming. Not sure who would be interested unless it is Publix. Doesn't seem to be common for Harris Teeter or Lowe's to acquire a competitors footprint. They have been building from ground up.
Wonder if this explains Lowe's Foods reversal and decision to build the Pelham Rd store if they heard these changes were coming.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...astern-grocers
FL’s pass on the Pelham rd site makes sense - they still have a lease to pay ( Bloom ) just a couple of miles down the road. Any purchase by Publix or HT will definitely be tear downs. That Bi-Lo at 14 and main in Simpsonville would do well as a Publix -

Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 PM

4,243 posts, read 5,185,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
FL’s pass on the Pelham rd site makes sense - they still have a lease to pay ( Bloom ) just a couple of miles down the road. Any purchase by Publix or HT will definitely be tear downs. That Bi-Lo at 14 and main in Simpsonville would do well as a Publix -
Agree. I'm thinking that 14 Bi-Lo would be great as HT also. They converted a Bi-Lo in Charlotte I believe that was very similar in design. They may be better off going there vs. W. Georgia eventually but who knows.

FL really fumbled their entry into the market back then IMO. I think they confused the market with the mix of both Food Lion and Bloom stores in the upstate then tried to convert them all back to the one banner Some of the locations they picked just didn't work out (Holland Rd, Pelham Falls area, S. Pleasantburg). On the other hand others have survived a long time. Will be interesting the see how they do with Bi-Lo's locations and Bi-Lo eliminated as competition.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:12 PM

8,563 posts, read 8,662,386 times
Quote:
Agree. I'm thinking that 14 Bi-Lo would be great as HT also. They converted a Bi-Lo in Charlotte I believe that was very similar in design. They may be better off going there vs. W. Georgia eventually but who knows.
I agree, the demographics in that area would support a Harris Teeter nicely.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:18 AM

20,923 posts, read 24,918,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree, the demographics in that area would support a Harris Teeter nicely.
BI-LO #5661, Gresham Plaza, 120 Highway 14, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681-6056, could work well for either Publix or Harris Teeter.

Could Publix operate three stores within the City of Simpsonville? Publix #1717, Market at Standing Springs, 1400 West Georgia Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29680-6305, is positioned to solely serve West Georgia Road.

Harris Teeter should be thinking beyond two stores in Greenville. I do not know if it inquired about acquiring BI-LO stores going to Food Lion:
  • BI-LO #5057, Five Forks Plaza, 2607 Woodruff Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681-4803
  • BI-LO #5161, Dill Creek Commons, 1365 West Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greer, South Carolina 29650-1145
  • BI-LO #5182, Oak Forest Plaza, 2401 Reidville Road, Oak Forest Plaza, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29301-3654
  • BI-LO #5274, Brushy Creek Crossing, 2460 Hudson Road, Greer, South Carolina 29650-2923
  • BI-LO #5624, 699 Fairview Road, Simpsonville, South Carolins 29680-6706

Old 06-08-2020, 07:38 AM

20,923 posts, read 24,918,315 times
Quote:
FL really fumbled their entry into the market back then IMO. I think they confused the market with the mix of both Food Lion and Bloom stores in the upstate then tried to convert them all back to the one banner Some of the locations they picked just didn't work out (Holland Rd, Pelham Falls area, S. Pleasantburg). On the other hand others have survived a long time. Will be interesting the see how they do with Bi-Lo's locations and Bi-Lo eliminated as competition.
Eighteen stores, consisting of six Bloom stores and 12 Food Lion stores, opened in Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg, and Union counties in 2006 and 2007. Eight of those stores remain open as Food Lion.

Anderson County
Stores opened: 2 (Food Lion: Anderson (2))
Food Lion stores remaining: 1 (Anderson)

Greenville County
Stores opened: 6 (Bloom (5): Greenville, Greer (2) Mauldin, Simpsonville; Food Lion (1): Piedmont)
Food Lion stores remaining: 2 (Piedmont, Simpsonville)

Oconee County
Stores opened: 1 (Bloom: Seneca)
Food Lion stores remaining: 1 (Seneca)

Pickens County
Stores opened: 1 (Food Lion: Clemson)
Food Lion stores remaining: 0

Spartanburg County
Stores opened: 7 (Food Lion: Inman, Lyman, Roebuck, Spartanburg (3), Woodruff)
Food Lion stores remaining: 4 (Lyman, Roebuck, Spartanburg, Woodruff)

Union County
Stores opened: 1 (Food Lion: Union)
Food Lion stores remaining: 0

Food Lion experienced failures in its previous attempt. If it has learned from its failures and can do better, it could be successful on its next attempt. If it reverts back to reasons that led to failures, it will fail again and will leave stores closed and dark.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:43 AM

195 posts, read 177,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
The Lowes Foods on Pelham being back on probably was a one two punch with Bilo likely being completely divested and Earth Fare closing. I think that area is prime for a Harris Teeter so they probably want to try and get in before that happens.

It looks to me like the Lowe's site is still in question (according to GVL News):

Making the least progress on Tuesday was a proposed 265-apartment development off Pelham Road near Blacks Drive and Boiling Springs Road.
County Councilman Rick Roberts, who represents Greenville's rapidly growing Eastside, asked for and was granted more time to get community leaders together to review the developer's plans and suggest tweaks. The project was kicked back to the council's planning and development committee, which voted in May to reject it.
"They said they would come back with a new plan," Roberts said of the developer, listed as Ryan Foster in county documents..
Existing zoning allows for a grocery store. On the site today is a church and a couple of houses and outbuildings facing Pelham Road. The county's comprehensive plan recommends no more than 54 housing units ever go on the site.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:54 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,551,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gville75 View Post
It looks to me like the Lowe's site is still in question (according to GVL News):

Making the least progress on Tuesday was a proposed 265-apartment development off Pelham Road near Blacks Drive and Boiling Springs Road.
County Councilman Rick Roberts, who represents Greenville's rapidly growing Eastside, asked for and was granted more time to get community leaders together to review the developer's plans and suggest tweaks. The project was kicked back to the council's planning and development committee, which voted in May to reject it.
"They said they would come back with a new plan," Roberts said of the developer, listed as Ryan Foster in county documents..
Existing zoning allows for a grocery store. On the site today is a church and a couple of houses and outbuildings facing Pelham Road. The county's comprehensive plan recommends no more than 54 housing units ever go on the site.
This would be good but I think instead of two access point on Pelham, there should be one at the light on Pelham and one off of Blacks Drive to access that light as well.

Lowe's foods should just wait and purchase the Bilo location when it goes under. Or build on the empty land next to the Bilo shopping center.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:01 AM

4,243 posts, read 5,185,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
This would be good but I think instead of two access point on Pelham, there should be one at the light on Pelham and one off of Blacks Drive to access that light as well.

Lowe's foods should just wait and purchase the Bilo location when it goes under. Or build on the empty land next to the Bilo shopping center.
I'm confused. Is the property for the apartments separate or part of the same development? It states it is already zoned for a supermarket and Lowe's has erected a sign recently and stated the store was in the planning stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area