U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 02:36 PM

599 posts, read 380,756 times

Advertisements

I think Columbia still has a substantially larger population of liberal or center-left type people, largely due to the university's influence. There are thousands of grad students, professors, and retired professors, as well as liberal-minded working folks who stick around after graduating. Of course, if people like that aren't currently in your social circle, you won't notice as much. Columbia also seems more 'artsy'-- for instance it has a dedicated arts cinema, the Nickelodeon, which Greenville will likely never have in our lifetimes.

Columbia's Main Street has improved a lot in the last fifteen years; it was kind of a ghost town before. One of the big commercial buildings being converted to student apartments has brought more youthful vitality to the area. Compared to Greenville though, Columbia's downtown restaurant/bar scene is more dispersed (Main Street plus the Vista and Five Points).

Perception of cultural differences between the two towns again may depend on who you associate with. The Columbia area, including West Columbia and Lexington across the river, has plenty of conservative football-loving people just like Greenville.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-22-2020, 08:16 PM
NDL

4,283 posts, read 5,011,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Both cities have their positives and negatives I suppose. Columbia has more of a gritty feel to me while Greenville feels more polished. At least from the downtown areas. Columbia has traditionally been considered the more liberal city and is probably more liberal in the areas outside of the city. Greenville is more of a mixed bag as of late and the leadership is working hard to make everyone feel welcomed to Greenville. In the city is a mixed bag of leanings. As you go away from the city it gets more conservative depending on which way you go. In my opinion Greenville has better shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Columbia has better museums and nicer zoo. Perks of being the capital. And is highly influenced by U of SC. It may not feel like it, but Greenville is the most populated county and metro in the state. It is growing fairly rapidly.
Excellent post; it's both helpfully descriptive and spot on.

I do have to ask, not for the point of debate, but for edification: in what ways is the City "working hard to make everyone feel welcomed to Greenville?"

Old 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM

5,350 posts, read 7,733,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Excellent post; it's both helpfully descriptive and spot on.

I do have to ask, not for the point of debate, but for edification: in what ways is the City "working hard to make everyone feel welcomed to Greenville?"
I think the mayor showed it at the beginning of the protests that happened. He attended and even gave a speech about Greenville being a city for all backgrounds, telling the protesters this is your city. This allowed Greenville to have less issues than other in state cities of similar size. There was no looting and destruction here. I've watched them in my time here continually try to add things for different cultures. They aren't there yet, but definitely making effort.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:22 PM

9 posts, read 7,065 times
This is important as the country continues to diversify and compete on a global level. Im reading that Columbia is bigger, relatively, in size, openess; I just don't see it personally, or even feel it. Something feels old here. Its like its back 20 years or something like that.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 PM
NDL

4,283 posts, read 5,011,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I think the mayor showed it at the beginning of the protests that happened. He attended and even gave a speech about Greenville being a city for all backgrounds, telling the protesters this is your city. This allowed Greenville to have less issues than other in state cities of similar size. There was no looting and destruction here. I've watched them in my time here continually try to add things for different cultures. They aren't there yet, but definitely making effort.
I appreciate your reply, and perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2SC2020 View Post
Im reading that Columbia is bigger, relatively, in size, openess; I just don't see it personally, or even feel it. Something feels old here. Its like its back 20 years or something like that.
That's why I don't like Columbia; it's gritty; it's back 20 years, and her boasts are without merit.

Greenville is nothing like that, and if you check out the foodie sites, you'd be surprised at the diversity of food offerings here in Greenville. Very respectable.

Prior to moving to Greenville, I lived in the CLT area, and in my opinion, Greenville feels a lot more cohesive than CLT.

Especially considering her size, Greenville packs a punch.

Yet if you're looking for something that's solidly liberal and/or a mix of hippy/new age, Asheville's your place.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:21 PM

513 posts, read 517,763 times
Quote:
Hello,

I recently moved to Columbia from NY and fell in love with Greenville when I visited last weekend. For those living in Greenville, what will you say are the biggest differences between Greenville and Columbia? I say this because, I have experienced Columbia as "archaic" in comparison to Greenville, which I perceive have a younger, "more liberal," vibe. I could be wrong. Columbia seems to me to evolve around the Gamecocks and maintaining the status quo. I don't like football and I'm a free thinker so I find this to be problematic. I'm married and looking to start a family.
Others have given some good info, so here's my take. Overall Greenville is fairly conservative from a political perspective, which I like. It, and it's collection of suburbs, are a very good area to raise a family. There's a little something for just about everyone, but Greenville excels in a couple of keys areas.

Downtown is as nice as you will find for a city its size, very clean, pretty, walkable, entertaining, and eclectic.

Great parks. Not just Falls Park, which is first rate, but the new Cancer Survivor's park is beautiful, and a great link to Cleveland, which has a nice small zoo good for kids. Keep your eye on the new Unity Park. Also nice pocket parks like Linky Stone children's park and even McPherson Park with tennis courts and a putt putt course.

Outdoors. Ceaser's Head, Table Rock, Jones Gap, Lake Jocassee, Lake Hartwell, Lake Keowee. Lake Robinson, Paris Mtn, Chattooga River, Foothills Trail, Sassafras Mtn, Nine Times Preserve, Stumphouse Tunnell, more waterfalls than you can name; just to get started.

I would also say that Greenville is very progressive in the real sense of the word. It has progressed very well over the decades, brought in a variety of industries, has built on it's strengths, has grown steadily but not explosively (thank goodness), has a broad appeal, and has a great variety of attractions for its size. It struggles with infrastructure keeping pace, and the climate has warmed a bit, but overall it is not a bad place.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:35 PM

5,350 posts, read 7,733,870 times
Quote:
This is important as the country continues to diversify and compete on a global level. Im reading that Columbia is bigger, relatively, in size, openess; I just don't see it personally, or even feel it. Something feels old here. Its like its back 20 years or something like that.
It has a larger city limit, but in this state that has little to with true size. Annexation is tough here. The Greenville area(meaning metro, county, CSA) is the most populated and growing faster, just laid out differently.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,169,346 times
We moved here to SC when I was 33 and my wife was 27, although she spent most of her growing up years in Columbia. I'm from Upstate, NY, raised and educated, she went to U. of SC for undergrad and grad school.

We settled in Forest Acres in a rental for a year, didn't really like Columbia so we headed here and settled. I'd argue that Columbia's "vibe" is more youthful, if young adults are into the party scene, but Greenville might be a better fit once people get into their late-20's and into their 30's, especially if people like the outdoors. Honestly, Congaree Nat. Park and maybe some lakes around Columbia are all that exists for quality outdoor activities. Here we can head to the hills or mountains any weekend we have off from work, and nearby states to enjoy the outdoors there, too.

I just think there are lifestyles that fit better for people, in either metro, but they are very different places.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 7,065 times
I keep hearing that Columbia is more youthful than Greenvile. Is this only because of USC? I also hear its much more moderate than Greenville. Where was Greenvile 10 years ago? Its seem like it changed overnight.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 PM

13,807 posts, read 12,867,836 times
Quote:
Hello,

I recently moved to Columbia from NY and fell in love with Greenville when I visited last weekend. For those living in Greenville, what will you say are the biggest differences between Greenville and Columbia? I say this because, I have experienced Columbia as "archaic" in comparison to Greenville, which I perceive have a younger, "more liberal," vibe. I could be wrong. Columbia seems to me to evolve around the Gamecocks and maintaining the status quo. I don't like football and I'm a free thinker so I find this to be problematic. I'm married and looking to start a family.
I would give Charleston a close look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area