Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM

36 posts, read 122,462 times

Advertisements

hi all..i currently live in california.

what would the climate be in the greenville area (i love the looks of the city from what i've seen) toward whites who have adopted black children?

i have never heard one nasty comment here in northern california, or gotten any wierd looks that i've noticed anyway.

i have a friend that lives near Duke U in NC and had some pretty racist encounters...she also adopted a black child (from haiti)

thanks for your input

steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,813,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapaholics View Post
hi all..i currently live in california.

what would the climate be in the greenville area (i love the looks of the city from what i've seen) toward whites who have adopted black children?

i have never heard one nasty comment here in northern california, or gotten any wierd looks that i've noticed anyway.

i have a friend that lives near Duke U in NC and had some pretty racist encounters...she also adopted a black child (from haiti)

thanks for your input

steph
I have seen many interracial couples/families in the downtown Greenville area, in my opinion you would have no problems moving to this area. On the other hand I am not a minority, so I can't speak as though I am one who knows about those sort of things. I will say I think you are very lucky for never having encountered that sort of thing before, there are lots of people in this country that don't have their heads on straight if you know what I mean

Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM

221 posts, read 1,028,301 times
I don't think anybody would say anything harsh, or do anything, but you might see some strange looks.

In my experience, it seems the majority of racism is isolated to people from older generations that lived through the events of the 50's and 60's. I'm 24 and I realized when I got to college and saw a bit more of the world that there's definitely a difference in thinking from my grandparents to my parents to my generation. I'm hopeful that my grand children won't know a world of racism.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:03 PM

well if ther have been any looks i have not seen them...i can't believe i haven't gotten any, just hasn't been obvious. most people think she is so CUTE.

we have a lot of biracial fams in this neighborhood.

greenville looks very nice. we would like some few acres or something with some outbuildings in place to have a few farm animals.

but my primary concern is her well being of course. i would hate to voluntarily move somewhere that has a lot of overt racism.....esp since we dont' have a lot here, from what i've seen.

cant argue with those home prices tho, compared to here! of course i can't sell now i'd lose my shirt.

is it humid there? great weather? we have tshirt/lite sweater weather from april to like october, sorta.

thanks!

steph

Old 04-30-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapaholics View Post
is it humid there? great weather?
steph
In a word. Yes. It is humid. SC isn't the hottest place in the US by the mercury. We top out usually in the high 90's. Tripple Digit Heat for more than a few days in July or August is rare. But our humidity is more than 50% probably 5 days a week or more.

I went to Pheonix a couple years ago. It was 105 when I landed. It felt hot, but your sweat is so beneficial there. Everything evaporates so quickly. I sat in a pool on a float and got the shivers from a breeze in 105 deg weather. In SC your sweat just sticks to you.

In the summer heat, all of the humidity often pops up an afternoon shower. Sometimes every day for a week or two. They're usually brief, but it does rain a fair number of days.

Its not unbearable most of the time, but you'll have to get used to it.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM

5,511 posts, read 15,282,535 times
Tommy, in what part of the state do you live? Upstate, Midlands, Lowcountry, Pee Dee, or Coastal?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 PM

835 posts, read 2,295,840 times
It depends on the person. At most, I would think maybe some funny looks but probably not any blatant racism to your face.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:46 AM

how do carolinians (is that right?) typically find californians? ugh do i want an answer to that?

LOL also what neighborhoods or areas of greenville would i look around for good schools and also to have a few acres and maybe a horse and few farm animals? nothing major. thanks

Old 05-01-2008, 01:48 AM

5,511 posts, read 15,282,535 times
Yes, you are correct in calling us "South Carolinians."

Don't worry about any negative encounters with people in Greenville. The "looks" mentioned above are usually accompanied with a big smile. In other words, most often when someone sees an interracial couple or family, the reaction (if any) is always positive instead of negative. Why anyone living here would tell you otherwise is beyond my understanding. Greenville is a great place to live if you are sensitive about your relationship.

Concerning the reception of Californians, let me assure you that you are very welcome here in Greenville. Based on the feedback I have received from several CA transplants, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Literally each and every one of them loves this place and most are actively involved in its development toward an even better city in the future. We gladly welcome you into our lives and trust you will be able to find peace living among us.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Tommy, in what part of the state do you live? Upstate, Midlands, Lowcountry, Pee Dee, or Coastal?
I'm in Columbia now. I've lived in Greenville, Clemson and Abbeville. I've got family in Hartsville and Marion, so I've spent alot of time in the Pee Dee too.

As for opinions of Californians in SC, I think most people in SC have a curious outlook on California. I've never been that far west, and I'd bet most people in SC have spent very little time there if they've been there at all. So if anything people here don't know too much first hand about California. What we do know is what we hear and see on TV, either in news reports or through TV shows, which generally portrays CA as a "paradise" kind of place that seems almost too good to be true. One thing I associate with California is Green stuff. It seems California has lead the way for a while on emissions and energy conservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area