U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 07:01 PM

11,808 posts, read 9,207,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Plan on a construction zone on I26 from Asheville towards Greenville. Getting off I26 at HWY 25 towards Greenville is a much easier drive.

They start construction on that? Haven't been there in a while. While the 25 route is quite scenic.. "easier" is a relative term. It's got a pretty good downhill grade, but, of course, so does I-26. the Hwy 25 route will take them right into downtown, tho.. And also through Travelers Rest. And past the Harvard of the South, Furman University (Got that right, didn't I?)

I'd just assumed they'd come down 95 to 85 the whole way. Technically, if they wanted to avoid the interstates as much as possible, they could come down 29. Gets you all the way to Greensboro. I've done that drive before. Kinda follows the train route. Or the train route follows it.

If a major medical center is important.. Spartanburg, Greenville, Greenwood and Anderson.

Mary Black in Spartanburg, "Prisma" which is the former Greenville Hospital System and Bon Secours in Greenville. Self in Greenwood and.. What is it? Anderson Area Medical in Anderson?

But.. Keep an eye on the suburbs.. I mean, there's Hillcrest Hospital, which is part of GHS in Simpsonville.. Laurens has their hospital which is also part of GHS.. er.. Prisma.. Though.. I'm not overly a fan of that hospital. Anything major, they tend to just transport you to Greenville Memorial. probably alot of others I'm forgetting.

Abbeville has a hospital as well that I believe is part of Self, but.. it's likely on the same level as Laurens. I mean, you go in with a stroke, they stabilize you and ship you elsewhere.

Lots of mennonites in Abbeville. You'd have no problem getting cabinets built. Great people, but God forbid you invite them in and have the TV on.

I spent too many years in the NoVA area. So.. Yeah. And 'too many' is only 9. I'd never go back there to live.

There really aren't many 'townhouses' around here. Not like you're probably used to. Single family homes, detached, is more the norm. Sitting on anywhere from a quarter acre up. And you'll see a whole lot of mobile homes.

The outlying areas like Laurens and Abbeville.. Pending on if you're looking to buy or build.. Lots of property available.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 07:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,343,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They start construction on that? Haven't been there in a while. While the 25 route is quite scenic.. "easier" is a relative term. It's got a pretty good downhill grade, but, of course, so does I-26. the Hwy 25 route will take them right into downtown, tho..
I went through it a few weeks ago, many sections are a real mess like I85 between Spartanburg and NC. In good weather, 1 accident on the way up. Coming back, 4 accidents between both sides, and the sign announcing another accident ahead when I finally exited on Hwy 25.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:27 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,987,671 times
OP: Remember, you can buy a really nice house here with half the taxes for the price of an old townhouse in Montgomery Village. If you’re older, there is also the Homestead Exemption to look into which reduces taxes even more. Our \$7,000 real estate taxes in Darnestown became less than $2000 here, with Homestead. 2600 square foot home vs. 3000 square foot house in Darnestown in an equally lovely area.

Red state v. Blue state.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:39 PM

10 posts, read 2,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They start construction on that? Haven't been there in a while. While the 25 route is quite scenic.. "easier" is a relative term. It's got a pretty good downhill grade, but, of course, so does I-26. the Hwy 25 route will take them right into downtown, tho.. And also through Travelers Rest. And past the Harvard of the South, Furman University (Got that right, didn't I?)

I'd just assumed they'd come down 95 to 85 the whole way. Technically, if they wanted to avoid the interstates as much as possible, they could come down 29. Gets you all the way to Greensboro. I've done that drive before. Kinda follows the train route. Or the train route follows it.

GPS is telling me to take the exit at I77. Which would be a better drive? Take I77 or I26 to HWY25? Our hotel is near the intersection of I85 and Pelham RD.

I have taken 29 before going back home to MD from Winston Salem. It was a nice drive but can't do that when I am looking for a faster route.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
OP: Remember, you can buy a really nice house here with half the taxes for the price of an old townhouse in Montgomery Village. If you’re older, there is also the Homestead Exemption to look into which reduces taxes even more. Our \$7,000 real estate taxes in Darnestown became less than $2000 here, with Homestead. 2600 square foot home vs. 3000 square foot house in Darnestown in an equally lovely area.

Red state v. Blue state.
Cost of living definitely is one of the reasons we are looking at your area. And tax benefits too. As I mentioned at the beginning, we will be retiring in early 2023.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We initially rented an apartment in Greenville, thinking we would move there. We sold our house, sold most of our furniture, put the rest in storage and rented a small one bedroom. That way we were free to look leisurely at areas and when the right house came up, we were preapproved, could put down cash, no contingencies etc. I’d highly recommend renting to not rush a decision to buy. It takes time to figure out areas.

We actually found Spartanburg to be a better fit for us.

I wanted out and away, far, far away from Maryland/DC.

We have found the people here have been friendly, polite, conservative, religious, minimal traffic and the polar opposite of the hustle-bustle, social climbing, pretentious people of Montgomery County.

I should add though — if you’re looking for an extremely diverse, cosmopolitan community like Montgomery County, you should stick with Greenville, Charleston or Atlanta.
I think that is a good idea to rent first since we have a house to sell here in MD.

Since we will be retired when we move out there, it doesn't matter to us if we settle in Greenville or Spartanburg area.

I don't want to bring this up, but since it came up, we are originally from the Philippines but have been living in MD for the last 27 years(not 20 I mentioned at the start). I wonder how Asians are being accepted in that part of the country.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,343,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
GPS is telling me to take the exit at I77. Which would be a better drive? Take I77 or I26 to HWY25? Our hotel is near the intersection of I85 and Pelham RD.
I would recommend I77 down via I85 to that location then. Still some construction, but probably the best overall.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 PM

507 posts, read 225,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
I don't want to bring this up, but since it came up, we are originally from the Philippines but have been living in MD for the last 27 years(not 20 I mentioned at the start). I wonder how Asians are being accepted in that part of the country.
There are a good many Asian immigrants throughout Upstate SC, like most places in the U.S. It's also not uncommon to see Asian children who have been adopted by white families. Though of course moving across the country without an existing social circle can be challenging for anyone regardless of race. Joining a church can give you a lot of social contacts quickly. As to whether there are subtle cultural factors that could make it harder for Asian immigrants to make friends with locals, it's hard to say. But I'm quite sure you wouldn't experience any real xenophobia.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 5,987,671 times
I agree with HDWill1.

For the most part — SC is overwhelmingly White and Black with a small percentage of Hispanic. Spartanburg, for example is 47% Black, 46% White, 4% Hispanic, 4% Other, 2% mixed race. It’s no where near the International flavor of the DC area but it is also NOT the backwoods, ignorance, prejudiced world so many like to project. Are there bigoted jerks? Yes, of course . . . as there are everywhere. Some of the biggest bigots I know live in Potomac and Chevy Chase.

If you’re looking for a Filipino-oriented neighborhood, I think it will be more difficult. I’ll assume you are Catholic and that would be a great place to start building relationships. Most people here still attend church regularly and many social activities/circles revolve around it. It is still the Bible Belt and you will see people praying before eating at a restaurant and random people telling you “Have a Blessed Day.”

Come for a nice long visit and don’t solely focus on Downtown Greenville. It is beautiful and has a lot of razzle-dazzle but unless you intend to live downtown, remember you’ll only be there occasionally. Downtown areas are geared to tourists. Look at the suburbs and try to check out the things you would be doing — church, shopping areas? a gym? The library? Grocery stores? Hiking (there’s some fabulous parks here), etc. Then you’ll get a feel for what it would really be like.

Best of luck finding your new home.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:55 AM

396 posts, read 112,284 times
I worked with a Flipino man 12 years ago in Greenville. He grew up in the Phillipines.

He had moved down from NYC about 30 years prior and he liked living down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area