Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 01:16 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Yup, certainly remember that WD at Eastgate. It opened up a week after we moved down the street to Halcyon. I don't ever remember going there much. Other than walking past it on the way to and from school at Eastside. We went to that Harris Teeter or Bilo. Seemed like too many grocery stores in such a short radius. Also, there was the run down Bilo past East Side High on brushy creek that is now townhouses.
I don’t remember the Bi-Lo on Brushy Creek - Hopefully CK can refresh my memory on that store # / location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 02:08 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
I don’t remember the Bi-Lo on Brushy Creek - Hopefully CK can refresh my memory on that store # / location
It’s right next to where Dollar General is now. There’s a fire department there also.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:14 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It’s right next to where Dollar General is now. There’s a fire department there also.
Thanks G-Man!

Old 03-30-2021, 07:05 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
SC based supermarkets like Bi-Lo (originally) and Community Cash pretty much a relic of the past now. Four of the major traditional chains represented here now based and have N.C. roots (ingles, Food Lion, Lowes, Harris Teeter). State of NC -Winner of the grocery wars.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:47 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
You are referring to BI-LO #2, Stewart Square, 301 Brushy Creek Road, Taylors, South Carolina 29687-3557.

Stewart Square also had drugstore Rite Aid. Rite Aid closed after a quantity of stores were divested to Eckerd in the late 1990's. (Rite Aid would acquire Eckerd in 2006.) BI-LO #2 closed on Saturday, 26 January 2002. It was demolished and graded in 2015 to make way for the Townes at Eastside.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Yup, certainly remember that WD at Eastgate. It opened up a week after we moved down the street to Halcyon. I don't ever remember going there much. Other than walking past it on the way to and from school at Eastside. We went to that Harris Teeter or Bilo. Seemed like too many grocery stores in such a short radius. Also, there was the run down Bilo past East Side High on brushy creek that is now townhouses.
I recall when there was one supermarket in that trade area: Winn-Dixie #1293. Harris Teeter opened in 1989/1990, and closed in 2001. BI-LO #274 opened in 1991, became store 5274, and is now Food Lion #2854.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:23 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
SC based supermarkets like Bi-Lo (originally) and Community Cash pretty much a relic of the past now. Four of the major traditional chains represented here now based and have N.C. roots (ingles, Food Lion, Lowes, Harris Teeter). State of NC -Winner of the grocery wars.
All are NC based but Harris Teeter is now a division of Kroger, based in Cincinnati. And Food Lion is owned by international grocer Ahold Delhaize. But Ingle's, Harris Teeter, and Lowe's Foods can be considered American owned and operated, but not necessarily Food Lion.

Edit: And ironically, Ahold was the former operator of BI-LO back in its heyday. Not sure why they sold out, as they run a solid operation, including Giant Carlisle and Giant Landover. But now they come full circle and merge with Delhaize and convert many of the former BI-LO stores into Food Lion, which has had there eye on them for years.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
All are NC based but Harris Teeter is now a division of Kroger, based in Cincinnati. And Food Lion is owned by international grocer Ahold Delhaize. But Ingle's, Harris Teeter, and Lowe's Foods can be considered American owned and operated, but not necessarily Food Lion.

Edit: And ironically, Ahold was the former operator of BI-LO back in its heyday. Not sure why they sold out, as they run a solid operation, including Giant Carlisle and Giant Landover. But now they come full circle and merge with Delhaize and convert many of the former BI-LO stores into Food Lion, which has had there eye on them for years.
Food Lion HQ is still in Salisbury N.C. and Harris Teeter HQ is in Matthews N.C.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
You are referring to BI-LO #2, Stewart Square, 301 Brushy Creek Road, Taylors, South Carolina 29687-3557.

Stewart Square also had drugstore Rite Aid. Rite Aid closed after a quantity of stores were divested to Eckerd in the late 1990's. (Rite Aid would acquire Eckerd in 2006.) BI-LO #2 closed on Saturday, 26 January 2002. It was demolished and graded in 2015 to make way for the Townes at Eastside.
That Stewart Sq. store seemed very busy back in the 80's. I recall it had the 80's look and signage with the steer design in the middle of the logo when they went to that instead of the steer on top of the building. I guess the newer store at Brushy Creek Crossing eventually took business away. I read somewhere the Brushy Creek Crossing store was one of Bi-Lo's top performing stores in recent years. It certainly looks the best and it looks like they spent more money on it during the last remodel than some of the others like Verdae.

The Bi-Lo on East North@ Pleasantburg in North Hills was a beast too in the early to mid 90's. Crazy busy.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:43 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Food Lion HQ is still in Salisbury N.C. and Harris Teeter HQ is in Matthews N.C.
Food Lion headquarters is indeed Salisbury, NC where it originated as Food Town. But I'm not sure if you would consider it American owned, since it is now operated by international grocery conglomerate Ahold Delhaize. And yes I am aware that Harris Teeter is headquartered in Matthews, NC, a suburb of Charlotte. But it is now a division of Kroger, based in Cincinnati. But certainly not disputing your NC connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area