U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 15,723 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am thinking of applying to Clemson's part time MBA program. I would work full time during the day and take 1-2 classes per semester. I have looked and researched all over the Clemson website.

Can anyone give me details about the quality of education I can expect? Is the program well respected in South Carolina? How about nationally? Is it likely that I would receive more job offers from SC companies vs. companies in other states? I am afraid that I would be forced to stay in SC after completing the program...not that that is a bad thing! I love the area around Clemson. I just don't want to pidgeon-hole myself into one area of the country because I happened to go to school there.

Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:38 PM

221 posts, read 916,840 times
The Clemson MBA is fairly solid and respected around the area, especially in the Upstate. Many of the Engineering Companies (Fluor, Day and Zimmerman, Etc) will send their middle mangement folks to Clemson's MBA program. Their night school classes are actually held in Greenville. They've got a common campus for a bunch of Universities around the area. I can't remember the proper name, but its on Plesantburg.

If you're planning to stay in the Upstate, you can't go wrong with the Clemson MBA. If you're looking for more regional respect, the Clemson MBA probably wouldn't be your first choice. UGA has one of the best MBA programs around that will give you much more clout, and if you're into Internation Business, as much as it pains me to say (I'm a Clemson Alum...) USC's Moore School of Business has the best internationally focused MBA program.

If you've got the cash and the GRE to get into UGA, I'd go there first unless you're particularly interested in International, then I'd go to USC. Clemson would be a good alternative if you wanted to stay in Greenville and didn't have the GRE or Cash to go to UGA or USC. Also UGA and USC will both have full time programs. The may offer night classes too, but its not the same degree as the full time classes. If you're looking for night school MBA, Clemson might be the best choice.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,723 times
Wow Tommy, thanks for all the info. Hard to beleive a Clemson alumn is suggesting I look at USC! Thanks for the honesty Anyone else have opinions or information? The specific program that drew me to Clemson was they have a conentration in Health Care Management.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM

128 posts, read 561,319 times
Either way, I would look into the University Center as your most convenient hub for over eight universities... it's located on Pleasantburg in Greenville.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 AM

221 posts, read 916,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoole52 View Post
Either way, I would look into the University Center as your most convenient hub for over eight universities... it's located on Pleasantburg in Greenville.
Yeah thats the one I was trying to remember. I drove by the place dozens of times because I lived on Pleasantburg, but I couldn't come up with the name. I guess University Center is too simple for me to think of.

There was a time when I considered an MBA and did a bunch of research. I didn't contact anyone at the University Center directly, just the Clemson Night MBA rep, so I'm not sure what other schools offer Night MBA's at the University Center, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are other options there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInNE View Post
Wow Tommy, thanks for all the info. Hard to beleive a Clemson alumn is suggesting I look at USC!
Its that good. Their Int'l Business MBA is ranked like 5th in the nation, and definitely #1 in the region. UGA is similar with their normal MBA program.

I guess it really depends on what you're going for. Some companies require an MBA for a certain level of mangement almost like a technicality. So they send their existing employees that they want to promote to the Night programs (or maybe even online MBA's now adays). Other jobs like MBA's but they're more interested in the full time MBA programs. Technically they're the same cirriculms, but I think they have different connotations in the market. Some jobs may not care, but others would be a pretty hard sell to get in with a night school MBA. Clemson is very connected in the Medical world (for a school that doesn't have a med school). If you're interested in a particular job, it might be worth asking somebody in that position to see what they think. Clemson has an AskaTiger program that lets Clemson students check with alumns to ask stuff like this. Would you be working for the Hospital while you're going to get your MBA at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area