Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:49 PM

192 posts, read 607,582 times

Advertisements

Actually standing outside a bar and yelling at people for drinking and saying that gay people deserve to get aids...that aids is a cleanser and that people who unfortunately are forced to get abortions are murderers...are crazy. Sorry....but it's true.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:04 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,606 times
[quote=webbster;3700227]I've visited Greenville a few times, thinking maybe it's the place for me and my family. However, here are my reservations:
-people are still caught up in the evolution debate
-abortion is still hot topic in SC?

I believe I was answering the original OP's question......one of the questions is if abortion is still a hot topic in SC.

It obviously is if I had to explain the "agenda" of saving another human life to the poster cabin.
The OP said he/she welcomed all input which implies not just people who think like him/her.

I believe if you live in Greenville, this issue will be more prevelant than in some other areas of the USA. If that is offensive or bothersome to someone when considering an area to live, then that it is something they should weigh heavily when making their decision.
I currently live in Seattle which has a very liberal envirnoment. There are certainly people of same values as me here, however, I'm not surprised when I run into liberals. I can't change the entire feel of the city......so therefore, it's not a comfortable environment for me to live in. That is why moving to a more conservative area is more in line with my values and morals. I'm sure people who hold your liberal ideas and have the "live and let live" attitude would be very comfortable in an environment prodominently with people who think like you.

Therefore, when I live in Greenville, I shouldn't be surprised to run into "conservative" attitudes. It is known around the country as a conservative area. No big surprise.
I've said it before.....there is a cover for every pot. Live where you feel you can be most comfortable in your own skin. If you think people who believe in God and follow a religion are "crazy" and "werid".....why on earth would you move to an area that is known for them if you have a choice to move anywhere else?
I've done all the research........and the reason I'm choosing Greenville, is because it is a place that is most suited to my values.

Good luck in your search for your "cover to your pot".

Old 05-08-2008, 03:04 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
I'm black with mixed children, I voted for Obama and support him , I don't go to church, I believe in evolution and the concept of God as all that is(meaning everything and everyone is one and make the body of God, I'm a single father, and I'm usually outspoken and I have no problems at all. People have a lot of respect for me. I choose Greenville over anywhere in SC.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
Actually standing outside a bar and yelling at people for drinking and saying that gay people deserve to get aids...that aids is a cleanser and that people who unfortunately are forced to get abortions are murderers...are crazy. Sorry....but it's true.
I agree. If that is what people are doing. That is not what I consider a "peaceful" demonstration and I'm really sorry if that is how some people choose to get a message across.

Cabin, I want to apologize if I came across as too passionate in respect to your comment. I guess your comment about finger pointing and laughing at such a serious topic hit a nerve with me, for many personal reasons.

I respect everyone's right to freedom and to live as they choose. This may be hard for you to believe but mostly EVERYONE I know, friends and family have opposing views to mine. I am friends with many atheists, homosexuals, liberals, etc. We agree to disagree on our lifestyles and it works because we ultimately respect each other and have a genuine love and concern for each other.
The other topics all have to do with your choices and how they affect you. Abortion is different as such that it isn't just affecting the person who is having it......if the babies could speak, they would. They aren't given the opportunity. So I feel it is my duty and responsiblity as a decent human being to try to be part of the solution, not the problem.

So on that note, I won't say anything more on this thread about this issue as I realize it may be starting to go off topic and that there is a "religious" forum for that!
Enjoy your evening!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
You will be fine. Oh - occasionally some of the crazies from Bob Jones will be downtown yelling that "aids is a cleanser" and "abortion is murder" but you just have to point and laugh at them and not take them seriously.
Funny how "Liberals" are supposed to accept everyone, yet they look down on those whose views do not coincide with theirs...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM

27 posts, read 81,070 times
Since when are liberals supposed to accept everyone? I sure don't. Especially if it infringes on human rights, and I mean humans who are alive and kicking and breathing air. I don't accept racism, pedophiles, bigotry, greedy people. I don't accept a government who will sit back and watch it's own citizens die because they can't afford health care. There-I'm starting to rant!!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbster View Post
Since when are liberals supposed to accept everyone?
Just about every true Liberal you meet will claim they accept everyone, regardless.

Quote:
I sure don't. Especially if it infringes on human rights, and I mean humans who are alive and kicking and breathing air. I don't accept racism, pedophiles, bigotry, greedy people.
But isn't that being a bigot? Seems a bit contradictory to me. Pedophinillia is a pre-existing mental condition, you're going to hate someone over something they can't control? Greed is a natural 'human thing' whether you acknowledge it or not (some control it better than others).

Quote:
I don't accept a government who will sit back and watch it's own citizens die because they can't afford health care. There-I'm starting to rant!!
It is against the law for any hospital to deny emergency medical treatment to someone without insurance. So in a sense, the government is not sitting back and watching them die.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Funny how "Liberals" are supposed to accept everyone, yet they look down on those whose views do not coincide with theirs...
When the people we are supposed to "accept" are ridiculing and harassing other members of the community I feel no responsibility to accept that type of behavior. I subscribe to the concept that your rights end where mine begin. I don't care what anyone else thinks or feels, but the minute they throw it in my face and yell at me, try to control my actions through ridiculous laws or physically accost, me then they have overstepped their bounds and are no longer deserving of respect or acceptance.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
When the people we are supposed to "accept" are ridiculing and harassing other members of the community I feel no responsibility to accept that type of behavior. I subscribe to the concept that your rights end where mine begin. I don't care what anyone else thinks or feels, but the minute they throw it in my face and yell at me, try to control my actions through ridiculous laws or physically accost, me then they have overstepped their bounds and are no longer deserving of respect or acceptance.
I understand exactly where you are coming from, but the statement I quoted was in regard to a group of people voicing their opinions. Naturally that ties in to the whole 'freedom of speech' and 'right to protest'. And while I may not agree with what is being shouted, they are exercising their right to do so, and until they cause physical harm to another individual, I see no problem with it. There are plenty of rallies/protests in DC that have some of the most bizarre motives, but you don't see a lot of rebuttal on that. People get killed in those things (usually for their own stupidity, mind you), but you never see it in the news for various reasons.

Regardless of the circumstances, you should not judge one by their views, but by their actions. I'm all for expressing ones self as long as it does not cause any physical/permanent damage.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I know......I said I wouldn't say anything else on the subject but.....I really wanted to point something out that is very ironic.....

You are making my case for me.

For those same reasons you are mentioning....it is hard for me to sit by and allow one human being to infringe on the rights of another human being. (especially one who can't defend him/herself and their life is hanging in the balance) Why would someone like you be so "intolerant" of my desire to preserve the rights of ALL human beings? Many are quick to protest against animal cruelty and abuse but turn the other cheek when it comes to babies in the womb in the development stage. Just because they aren't breathing "air" yet.......they still need oxygen to survive. They are getting from their mother. Their life is being sustained through the umbilical cord. To intrude in their "home" and murder them is beyond my comprehension.

If more people examined why they got so fired up when people infringed on their right to do what they want.....then perhaps you may just begin to understand what "lights the fire" for people to stand in protest of abortion. We are fighting for the same rights that you are! Only you don't believe an unborn baby with a beating heart is human. We do and we have scientific edvidence to back up our claims. Aren't Liberals know to be lovers of science?
(by the way.......my husband has a PHD in Science......so we aren't ignornant in the science field)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area