Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 06:22 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times

Advertisements

People blame the media stirring panic. But the media is the people (especially lately). Our society, for many years, has continually driven home that we all must grab whatever we can for ourselves and that there must be no consideration for anyone else. Senseless panic hoarding is just one symptom of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 07:27 AM

428 posts, read 362,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
People blame the media stirring panic. But the media is the people (especially lately). Our society, for many years, has continually driven home that we all must grab whatever we can for ourselves and that there must be no consideration for anyone else. Senseless panic hoarding is just one symptom of that.
True, but the media adds fuel to the fire.

Pun intended

Old 05-13-2021, 08:46 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
True, but the media adds fuel to the fire.

Pun intended

honestly.. I don't think the media was the root cause here.. It was the first station that ran out.

It was disconcerting when I saw the big-ass QT on Harrison Bridge Rd out of fuel on Tuesday and I did look at my gas gauge. I was at 3/4 so.. I calmed, then found out that everything should be fine by the weekend and.. I'm just keeping my normal schedule.

My dad called me Tuesday night.. "Hey.. I'm at Fort Campbell and am coming into town tomorrow".. I got real quiet and asked "You sure you want to do that?".. He then got quiet and asked what I was talking about.. He was thinking then between turning around or continuing on. i told him it wasn't bad, but I was concerned what Wednesday would look like.. I figured Tuesday was the start and it'd get worse.. But.. He came on in and everything was fine. He didn't really see any outages as he came in through Asheville and all.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:50 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
honestly.. I don't think the media was the root cause here.. It was the first station that ran out.

It was disconcerting when I saw the big-ass QT on Harrison Bridge Rd out of fuel on Tuesday and I did look at my gas gauge. I was at 3/4 so.. I calmed, then found out that everything should be fine by the weekend and.. I'm just keeping my normal schedule.
The media's role is that every story about "don't buy gas" shows a pump with a sign "No gas today". It invokes the same feeling as when you passed the out-of-fuel QT.

A relevant but less inflaming photo would be a stock pipeline picture.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
The media's role is that every story about "don't buy gas" shows a pump with a sign "No gas today". It invokes the same feeling as when you passed the out-of-fuel QT.

A relevant but less inflaming photo would be a stock pipeline picture.

People are so conspiracy-minded these days, can you imagine if the news didn't report when gas stations were running out of gas?

Old 05-13-2021, 09:43 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
People are so conspiracy-minded these days, can you imagine if the news didn't report when gas stations were running out of gas?
They wouldnt have been running out if the media hadnt overplayed the situation and people started hoarding it and filling multiple gas cans. I saw one guy Monday afternoon with 3 50 gallon drums trying to fill those. Its funny there were no issues Sunday, or even Monday until the media went nuts with it!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:23 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
highest gas prices in 7 years. Thank God you got that stimulus check to pay for it.
High gas prices, gas shortages/lines, inflation and high unemployment numbers. Almost think I'm living in the late 70's again!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:57 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,694,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Simple answer - the media.
Their MOST favorite Season Starts June 1st, right around the Corner, THey are warming Up their Engines Now.

There are no tropical cyclones in the Atlantic at this time.

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:38 PM

Complaining about the media is shooting the messenger.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:51 PM

36 posts, read 23,672 times
Quote:
Complaining about the media is shooting the messenger.
I guess that depends on a person's view of integrity in the media. Does the media report the news or make the news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area