Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,072 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating just found out we will be relocating to Greenville. It is a very fast move and we are hoping to get a few pointers on areas to look for housing!
A little bit about us. My husband will be working for a local hospital and I am a stay at home mom. We have a 20 month old and one on the way! So schools are important to us and being around other families, in a family friendly neighborhood. We prefer to buy fixer uppers, so VERY dated or funky is ok with us. We would love to have some land, at least a half acre but upwards of an acre plus would be amazing. Hoping to find a 4 bed and 2 bath but could also be happy with a 3 bed and 2 bath. Here is the kicker, we are hoping to stay under 300,000 probably even closer to 250,000. Any recommendations for areas to be looking in or if this is an unrealistic goal??
Really looking forward to exploring Greenville, seems like an awesome city and we are excited to call it home!
Thanks in advance for any tips!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 11:32 AM

79 posts, read 79,572 times
You need a realtor immediately.They can eliminate the stress and zero in on what actually fits your needs.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:34 PM
sbi

62 posts, read 32,606 times
Unfortunately this is not a buyer's market at this point. You may be able to find what you're looking for, especially if you prefer fixer uppers as you said, but we don't know where will your husband work and how far he would like to be from home in terms of commute time.

Welcome to Greenville.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:06 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,675 times
Take a look in Easley, not nearly as cramped and expensive as the east side of Greenville. In our opinion the schools are fine and the area still has a small town feel.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:37 PM

104 posts, read 234,567 times
Maybe Mauldin.
Now’s a bad time to buy. I might rent for a while but even rent has gone up.
And it’s hard around here to find a house not in a subdivision and they have HOAs - some are crazy.
Nothing but the truth.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,038 times
As a Greater Greenville area Realtor, you are looking for what we call a "Unicorn". They can be found...and I'd love to help you if you are interested. However you've got to be ready to go, this market is perfect for immediate needs!

Old 06-01-2021, 07:34 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonsmama View Post
My family and I are relocating just found out we will be relocating to Greenville. It is a very fast move and we are hoping to get a few pointers on areas to look for housing!
A little bit about us. My husband will be working for a local hospital and I am a stay at home mom. We have a 20 month old and one on the way! So schools are important to us and being around other families, in a family friendly neighborhood. We prefer to buy fixer uppers, so VERY dated or funky is ok with us. We would love to have some land, at least a half acre but upwards of an acre plus would be amazing. Hoping to find a 4 bed and 2 bath but could also be happy with a 3 bed and 2 bath. Here is the kicker, we are hoping to stay under 300,000 probably even closer to 250,000. Any recommendations for areas to be looking in or if this is an unrealistic goal??
Really looking forward to exploring Greenville, seems like an awesome city and we are excited to call it home!
Thanks in advance for any tips!!
As others said, you need a real estate agent so you can be ready to move quickly if something comes up that will work for you, in this crazy market. I would recommend looking out towards Greer, and/or the Blue Ridge area, as you are more likely to find larger lots out that way. Easley is another possibility.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:54 PM

139 posts, read 118,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleRuquet View Post
As a Greater Greenville area Realtor, you are looking for what we call a "Unicorn". They can be found...and I'd love to help you if you are interested. However you've got to be ready to go, this market is perfect for immediate needs!
Can confirm that unicorns do exist, and I got lucky enough to buy one. I got my house in January that is a 3 bed, 2 bath, 0.6 acres, 3 minutes from 85 in Duncan, built in 2008 for only $165k.

Now, let's take a moment to look at more realistic expectations so that you have a better idea of what you're actually walking into.

It is quite dependent on which hospital he's going to be working at. If it's further west, the Easley and Powdersville area is where you'll want to look. If it's further east, the Greer and Duncan area is where you'll want to look. Could also throw Simpsonville and Mauldin in the mix, as they're closer to the mid point.

4 bed, 2 bath, 1 acre, and within a reasonable commute for $250k-$300k; good luck, you and literally a thousand other people would snatch that up in a heartbeat for over list price.

3 bed, 2 bath, 0.5 acre, true fixer upper (as in needs totally gutted to the point you won't be able to live in it), and reasonable commute for $250k; this is what your budget can get you.

You're going to have to give up something with your budget. Giving up the land would be the easiest to get you the size of home you want and it not being too much work to live in and have some small projects. If you want the land, you're going to be adding 15-30 minutes to the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area