U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,526,803 times

Advertisements

OK Greenvillians:

My wife and I love authentic, high quality sushi. I do not mind paying top dollar.

My anniversary is coming up and my wife has expressed a desire for raw fish. Question: Where is the best sushi in the Upstate?

(Just got the "Foodie" magazine over the weekend: how are AZIA, Blue Fire Grill, Nami, Sushi Hana for sushi?)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 AM

7,994 posts, read 10,907,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
OK Greenvillians:

My wife and I love authentic, high quality sushi. I do not mind paying top dollar.

My anniversary is coming up and my wife has expressed a desire for raw fish. Question: Where is the best sushi in the Upstate?

(Just got the "Foodie" magazine over the weekend: how are AZIA, Blue Fire Grill, Nami, Sushi Hana for sushi?)

Thanks
I'm a sushi lover as well. It's my weekly zen moment.

The list is long, but I would say my top three favorite for quality, are not the most high end:

Yu Raku Tei - gets an A plus
Siam Oishi - gets an A plus
Irashai - gets an A plus

Azia - gets an A
Sushi Hana - gets an A
Mimi - gets an A
Tsunami - gets an A minus

Sushi Murasaki - gets a B
Nami - gets a B
Sushi Masa - gets a B

Blue Fire - gets a C

Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM

2,177 posts, read 4,997,871 times
ok I am a sushi chef in greenville, therefore I am biased, but here are some restaurants I do not work at that I have heard good things about.

Murasaki(cherrydale only)
I have heard that the cherrydale location is awesome, I don't know if different chefs work at that one or not, because it seems like they should both be the same, but I have heard on many occasions that the cherrydale location is superior.

Sushi Hana
While I have heard that it was better when it was Sushi Koji, I do know for a fact that the food here is prepared well and is of good quality(one of my fellow chefs worked there previous to coming to work for me)

Irashai
funny thing, I heard this place was the best in town when I moved here, and I do not doubt its status, its probably one of the oldest sushi places in greenville. What I have heard is that since they moved their location(basically expanding) its just a different restaurant.

Azia, Blue fire, nami, honestly never heard anyone talk about their sushi(although I do know the chef at azia) so I really can't comment. I see azia and blue fire as more trendy and less traditional, so it depends on what you are looking for.

Speaking of trendy, I have to throw in a plug for the place I work at somewhere in here, lol(shameless I know) although it is quite different, I have had many compliments on our sushi as well as our southwest menu(2 seperate menus, no fusion) and its a fun relaxed environment that is moderately priced, so if you feel so inclined, join me sometime at Takosushi in downtown greenville

Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 49,167 times
Definitely 'Nami' in Anderson. A+. Everyone we recommended it to loved it. Great atmosphere & great food. It's a Japanese steakhouse, so they also have really good steaks.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 17,425 times
Default Sushi

The best sushi i have tried has been from azia. its awesome.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 PM

5,186 posts, read 7,499,074 times
Yu Raku Tei

I haven't eaten a lot of Sushi in Greenville, but I have eaten a lot of sushi in other parts of the country. We drive quite a long way to eat at Yu Raku Tei in Mauldin because it is worth it. Sushi is as much about the ingredients as anything, and Yu Raku Tei has a great source and eye for sushi - then they prepare it with the respect it deserves.

Yum, yum, yum.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,526,803 times
Thanks guys for all the help .

I think we'll try either Irashiai, Yu Raku Tei, or Siam Oishi.

I'm leaning toward Irashiai because it's the first sushi establishment in Greenville with several excellent reviews (although some reviewers have mentioned its new location is different, maybe a notch lower in quality/service).

Old 05-13-2008, 09:16 AM

234 posts, read 1,120,993 times
I give Siam Oishi two thumbs up as well. The Hostess/owner is very friendly.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 AM

909 posts, read 2,100,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Irashai
funny thing, I heard this place was the best in town when I moved here, and I do not doubt its status, its probably one of the oldest sushi places in greenville. What I have heard is that since they moved their location(basically expanding) its just a different restaurant.
I agree with the expansion changing the feel of the restaurant, but it is still probably my wife's favorite, and she is a sushi fanatic. They also have one of the largest sushi menus (http://irashiai.com/Menu/menu.asp - broken link) in the Upstate. Some places do sushi on the side of the regular menu, but Irashai does sushi.

I've always been a fan of 10best.com, and Irashai gets 5/5: Irashai Izakaya Sushi Pub & Japanese Restaurant / Greenville Restaurants

Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM

353 posts, read 990,146 times
Yu Raku Tei.... HANDS DOWN our favorite. Some of the better sushi I have had anywhere in the US. As a matter of fact...that sounds yummy for tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area