Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,832 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My husband and I have five more years before we leave these cold winters and high taxes... We are true New Yorkers and have no idea about the Carolina's. Just hear mostly good things!! We are looking to buy a house in a nice area... I would like to know if there are any nice quaint towns with the old time feeling, but close enough to the outside world.. Need to be able to drive to a mall within 15 to 20 minutes.. We are going to purchase a home soon and vacation in it and fix it up so when we retire we can just move on down... We are looking for a ranch home (1 story) with privacy around us.. Not a row house type of location... Looking for a great little town that we could just walk to. We are not old now, but are planning this move so we never have to move again.....

Most Important, nice neighborhood and surrounding area so there is a safe feeling.... We are friendly, so what we hear about unfriendliness doesn't bother us....

Please help????

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
Spartanburg, Travelers Rest, Greer, Easley, Anderson, Simpsonville, the greenville area itself actually fits the bill for what you want, in my opinion, come down and visit, I bet you'll find exactly what you are looking for within a few days

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM

642 posts, read 2,088,700 times
You could also check Fountain Inn out it has the small town feel. And it is close to simpsonville where you can go shopping and al so close to greenville .

Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM

169 posts, read 570,675 times
We are from Erie, PA and moved to Fountain Inn in January of this year after renting in nearby Simpsonville for 2 months, and we love it! It has that small town feel, kind of reminds us of Findley Lake NY in some ways....My husband spent his summers growing up there. The people are so nice, you can't drive or walk anywhere without getting a wave or a "hey". Sitting on our front porch or working on our desperate landscape, people always say hey or wave.
At Christmas they have horse drawn carriage rides that are just so old fashion and fun. There is also a spot for ice skating! We had our eye on a place and then did the carriage ride, and well, we were sold....
And Christopher is right about the shopping. All we need is less than 10 minutes away. There is a Lowes, Home Depot, Publix, Bilo, Ingles, Ross For Less, Kohls, Walmart, Target. The Haywood Mall isn't too bad of a drive either. Feel free to pm if you want, I would be glad to answer any questions for you

Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,832 times
Thank you so much for all the information, I will be asking more questions!!!! It is so hard being here and not knowing exactly what we are looking at, just by those little real estate pictures....

Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,005 times
I would slow down when you come here. People don't drive like in NYC or hurry as much but it sounds like that's what you want.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I would slow down when you come here. People don't drive like in NYC or hurry as much but it sounds like that's what you want.
I didn't notice that at all, are you from ny?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 PM

30 posts, read 108,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
In my experience, the biggest difference between NYC drivers and Greenville drivers is that in NY when someone cuts you off they give you the finger, and in Greenville when someone cuts you off they smile and wave.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleJenn View Post
In my experience, the biggest difference between NYC drivers and Greenville drivers is that in NY when someone cuts you off they give you the finger, and in Greenville when someone cuts you off they smile and wave.
I agree with that, people cut people off a lot around here, and its no big deal. That took some getting used to, but I don't think SC drivers drive any slower than NY drivers, maybe even faster, lol.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:48 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,005 times
lol I meant things in general aren't as fast-paced.

The driving I was thinking of was all the horn-honking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area