Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My opinion is hard for you to accept? What does avoiding Strossner's for a 3yr old's cake have to do with not supporting the local retailers? If you don't buy a cake locally just how are you going to get one if you do not want to bake it yourself? Should I go to Chicago to get it at Weber's Bakery (my fav in Chicago)? Of course not; its not worth the drive.

Sometimes I wonder, g-man430, if you are for real.
Yes, it is hard for me to accept. It has to do with everything. Strossner's is best always. You can buy a cake at Publix and that isn't local. They're headquartered in Florida. It's like buy a television at Jeff Lynch instead of Best Buy or Circuit City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
There is no question that Strossner's is best, so I would definitely look there. I don't think it is completely crazy to get a birthday cake for a 3 year old at Strossners. If you'd prefer to spend a little less, then I would try Publix, and Bloom comes in 3rd place.

Like Wal-Mart, I only go to BI-LO if I absolutely have to. Hmm, maybe it has something to do with places with hyphens in their name?

Old 05-23-2008, 12:34 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,441 times
The decorator at the Bi-Lo in 5 Forks does a great job decorating kids' cakes, FYI. She can do anything you want.
I think most children are more impressed by colors and SUGAR. If it's sweet and gawdy, they'll love it...
On that note, does Strossner's do REAL buttercreams, ganaches, etc? Nice buttery cakes, etc? That's waht I'm looking for. Not trying to hijack the thread here.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
On that note, does Strossner's do REAL buttercreams, ganaches, etc? Nice buttery cakes, etc? That's waht I'm looking for. Not trying to hijack the thread here.
Honestly, I don't think there's anything that Strossner's doesn't do, and I've never had a single bad experience.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yes, it is hard for me to accept. It has to do with everything. Strossner's is best always. You can buy a cake at Publix and that isn't local. They're headquartered in Florida. It's like buy a television at Jeff Lynch instead of Best Buy or Circuit City.
I see your point gman430, but I still stand by my opinion.

I agree with another poster that a 3yr old isn't going to know the difference between a grocery store cake and a Strossner's cake. We've only had one Strossner's cake and though I'm sure it was good...I can't say that it was memorable. JMO or maybe I forgot! Age does that to a person.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 PM

69 posts, read 275,093 times
We do a lot of baby showers, parties, graduations, etc. at our church and have found Sam's Club to have the best cakes for the money (I know that's hard to believe, but they're usually better than Publix). Strossners has the best cakes IMO, but since we buy a lot of them they get expensive. If you want a REAL treat, get a STRAWBERRY cake from strossners! YUM!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,165 times
I go and will always go to Gretchen's ABS for my cakes and occasionally for lunch. Of course the frosting is not whipped like all the others because it is homemade butter-cream frosting (Secret Receipt....I tried to get it once!). If you want something elegant and your family is worth a few extra bucks then go to a true bakery, not a grocery store bakery (It is just not the same and you can see a huge difference in the cake qualities). Strossners used to be good about 15 years ago, but now they are just too commercialized like the grocery store frozen cake bakeries (they are still better than Bilo, Public's or Blooms). I still have to say that Gretchen ABS is your best choice, just ask for Gretchen….she is so sweet!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,780 times
My granddaughters loved their birthday cakes with Disney princess characters from Publix' bakery. I've also seen an interesting though expensive Barbie cake at Stax Omega.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
I have heard great things about the new bakery in downtown Simpsonville. I think it is called Pam's.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM

77 posts, read 224,162 times
you can get free 'tastings' from a publix bakery. just call ahead and inquire to make sure they still do it. i haven't done it in a couple years. when we did ours, they just put together a 'to go' box of different cake flavors and fillings that we specified and we got to bring it home and sample it! yummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area