Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 08:51 AM

277 posts, read 687,867 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a townhouse in December 2021 in Landrum, SC. I had the home fully inspected, etc. and everything checked out as it should. The townhouse was built in 2006 and the HVAC system was original, but functioning well. I did my due diligence and looked into the previous owner's energy bill history and it was very reasonable, based on the square footage.

Fast forward to yesterday 5/2/22, I realized that the house was not cooling down like it should and I work from home, so by afternoon, it was an intolerable 85 degrees inside. I called a repairman who came right over, only to discover that the system suffered a devastating failure, all the freon is gone and there is a severe/catastrophic leak.

I could replace the system to the tune of 6K (minimum) or have it repaired, but the repair could exceed 3k because between the parts/labor and the freon, it adds up quickly and is ridiculously expensive.

Problem is, I work a very low paying job and no one will finance me - nor do I have enough savings or even retirement savings to cover it. I have been on the hunt for a new job but nothing has panned out yet.

I know I can live without air conditioning for the time being, but I expect that heat in the winter will be a different story . . not just from a discomfort standpoint, but a practical standpoint.

Does anyone know of any grant programs, low income assistance, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 09:47 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,506,701 times
Did you buy a home warranty for a year? If so that will cover it.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Did you buy a home warranty for a year? If so that will cover it.
No, I did not. Hindsight is perfect, unfortunately.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:33 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Have you checked with Duke to see if it could be financed through them? They’d basically have a mechanics lien on it to be sure they were paid. Another option would be a part-time job. Restaurants are desperate for help.

Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Have you checked with Duke to see if it could be financed through them? They’d basically have a mechanics lien on it to be sure they were paid. Another option would be a part-time job. Restaurants are desperate for help.

Best of luck.
I am going to check with Duke, yes. Thank you. A part time job is another option but I already work 40+ hours per week, but it's a possibility.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:05 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Duke has a protection plan for HVAC. You would have to wait 30 days (I believe) before you could collect on it. I think its $16.99/month. They have other protection plans as well.

https://www.duke-energy.com/home-services

Old 05-04-2022, 06:17 AM

321 posts, read 406,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Duke has a protection plan for HVAC. You would have to wait 30 days (I believe) before you could collect on it. I think its $16.99/month. They have other protection plans as well.

https://www.duke-energy.com/home-services
The Duke plan is not likely to help OP

3. Eligibility; Performance; Coverage.
a. The Program is designed and intended for the repair of Systems, not the replacement of
Systems that UPA, in its sole discretion, deems beyond repair. In the event a new replacement
covered part is discontinued or unavailable, the customer will receive a credit for the normal
cost of the defective part. Should the customer elect to obtain a new unit, UPA will extend a 15%
credit for the installation fee, provided customer utilizes a UPA-provided contractor.

-and-

THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF
COMPRESSORS, INDOOR AND OUTDOOR REFRIGERANT COILS,AND HEATEXCHANGES WILL
BE LIMITED TO THE MANUFACTURER’S PARTS WARRANTY PERIOD, PROVIDED, HOWEVER,
REFRIGERANT LEAK REPAIRS OCCURRING IN AREAS OTHER THAN INDOOR AND OUTDOOR
REFRIGERANT COILS WILL NOT BE MADE FOR SYSTEMS GREATERTHAN FIFTEEN (15) YEARS
OF AGE. UPAWILL REPAIR DEFECTIVE MATERIALS PROVIDED UNDER THE PROGRAM IN A
REASONABLE TIME, WHICH SHALL BE DETERMINED IN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF UPA.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:42 AM

82 posts, read 99,262 times
Get a portable AC for now to cool down one room. Space heater for colder months, hopefully you get it fixed before then.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:45 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhenry View Post
Get a portable AC for now to cool down one room. Space heater for colder months, hopefully you get it fixed before then.
They make AC units that are portable and you can move from room to room. Under $500, not easy on your budget though.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:08 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
They make AC units that are portable and you can move from room to room. Under $500, not easy on your budget though.

You know what i'd love to find.. One of the OLD SCHOOL window fans. Like what my grandma had back in the 80's.

Damn things were like mini jet-engines. Closest I can find is something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-W16900-...077BVSKLC?th=1

They moved some SERIOUS air.. In the spring and fall they work really well because it gets cool enough at nights.. Summer.. Well.. They're better than nothing at least. and not all that great during the daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area