Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 12:20 PM

36 posts, read 46,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
It doesn't look like anybody will be able to convince you regarding schools in Greenville. You'd be better off moving to a metro where you have no doubts about the public schools or go the private school route. I'm not sure the private schools in Greenville have the kind of exclusivity / prestige you are looking for.

I don't follow your quality of life comment. I assume you are wanting to avoid people in certain demographics.

Your personality / mindset seems more compatible with downtown Charleston , Mt Pleasant, Daniel Island for SC, and the Charlotte and Raleigh burbs. A lot of NC fans seem to struggle living in Greenville even though they like Greenville's downtown better than the NC downtowns.
We would prefer to send our kids to public school if possible.

There are areas of wealth where we live, but certainly not enough to create income segregation in a certain school district, not even close. My kids go to a highly rated public school on GreatSchools. A wide range of kids from all economic backgrounds attend their school, which we like. At our current school I can't even remember the last time there was a fight, most kids are respectful, very little bullying, great extracurricular (e.g., quality of life), etc...

Based on the previous statement you may be wondering why we're moving? First, no school is perfect. The main reason though is due to our surrounding area, it's not a good place to raise a family. There's almost no opportunities for outdoor activities, the only decent park isn't safe, sports facilities are terrible, very little shopping, the worst part is that crime from the "bad" areas of town is now starting to spread into our area (that's a deal breaker for us). I could go on and on.

The handful of parents in Greenville we spoke to all referenced how several schools in the area were "rough" (their word, not mine). They mentioned fights and bullying as an issue.

We plan to visit Greenville again to tour a couple of schools in hopes of gaining a better understanding of the schools in the area. This is the reason I started this thread, we were interested in personal experiences people have had with various public schools in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 12:22 PM

36 posts, read 46,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
I think schools in the area are underrated TBH. Both of my sons went to Mauldin High School and we were quite pleased with the quality of teachers in the AP and honors classes they took. In a lot of cases, the quality of the education you get here is how much your children put into it. There are schools to avoid - like maybe Woodmont and Carolina. But many of the schools that are rated 7 are not crappy schools IMHO.

Mauldin was rated at 6, which is ridiculous. If you look at the test ratings is a 9. Again, I think it’s what the students themselves are willing to put into it.
Great, thanks for the comment. Opinions from local parents that have personal experiences with various schools was the reason I started this thread. Thanks for staying on topic

Old 05-22-2022, 01:06 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,730 times
I didn't realize talking about schools was getting off topic.

You started off your topic by touting the school scores in other metros which has no relationship to Greenville. This may be why you got few responses.

I've been here for most of the last 22 years and I have not heard any parent with a kid at Hillcrest say avoid Hillcrest. That's not to say they like every aspect of the school.

Would you mind sharing the name of the town you live in now? Also keep in mind there has been crime in our parks as well.

I recall a guy on his bike being mugged in Falls Park and his bike stolen. I wasn't able to corroborate this but I met a woman who said her boyfriend was shot and killed on Main St during an event.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 05-22-2022 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 04:26 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GACLT View Post
We would prefer to send our kids to public school if possible.

There are areas of wealth where we live, but certainly not enough to create income segregation in a certain school district, not even close. My kids go to a highly rated public school on GreatSchools. A wide range of kids from all economic backgrounds attend their school, which we like. At our current school I can't even remember the last time there was a fight, most kids are respectful, very little bullying, great extracurricular (e.g., quality of life), etc...

Based on the previous statement you may be wondering why we're moving? First, no school is perfect. The main reason though is due to our surrounding area, it's not a good place to raise a family. There's almost no opportunities for outdoor activities, the only decent park isn't safe, sports facilities are terrible, very little shopping, the worst part is that crime from the "bad" areas of town is now starting to spread into our area (that's a deal breaker for us). I could go on and on.

The handful of parents in Greenville we spoke to all referenced how several schools in the area were "rough" (their word, not mine). They mentioned fights and bullying as an issue.

We plan to visit Greenville again to tour a couple of schools in hopes of gaining a better understanding of the schools in the area. This is the reason I started this thread, we were interested in personal experiences people have had with various public schools in the area.
I'm a parent in the area. And I said earlier in the thread I've had two kids graduate from Hillcrest along with a niece. I have a niece and nephew currently enrolled, all haven't had or aren't having any issues. If the schools are so bad then why is Greenville doing so well?

Old 05-22-2022, 05:58 PM

34 posts, read 23,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
I didn't realize talking about schools was getting off topic.

You started off your topic by touting the school scores in other metros which has no relationship to Greenville. This may be why you got few responses.

I've been here for most of the last 22 years and I have not heard any parent with a kid at Hillcrest say avoid Hillcrest. That's not to say they like every aspect of the school.

Would you mind sharing the name of the town you live in now? Also keep in mind there has been crime in our parks as well.

I recall a guy on his bike being mugged in Falls Park and his bike stolen. I wasn't able to corroborate this but I met a woman who said her boyfriend was shot and killed on Main St during an event.
I have a kid at Hillcrest. It was overcrowded until they opened Fountain Inn High. I'm talking about not enough seats in the lunchroom at lunch crowded. He's had mostly good teachers there though. We've had good administrators and bad but I expect that at any school. The amount of fights is off the charts though. Maybe that's just how kids are now but it's just a matter of time before another gun shows up I fear.

He graduates next fall and I'll be glad. My next 2 kids are either at Fountain Inn High School now or will be.

Your move may vary.

I would add that SC has a teacher shortage. We had over 1000 teaching vacancies in the state at the start of the school year and it's going to be worse next year.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:31 PM

I have heard parking for students is limited at Hillcrest. Understand your concern about guns at schools. In my experience, the fights tend to be between students who aren't doing well in school.

I haven't looked at this closely but there is a public charter school in Simpsonville called Brashier Middle College. This link directs you to their admissions process. Charter School Application, Admissions | Brashier Middle College | Greenville County, SC

Greenville County is a school choice district so you have other options as well. https://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/Sch...titleid=choice

Old 05-23-2022, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GACLT View Post

We were told the good schools in the area we are interested in were...

Middle Schools: Beck 6, Riverside 8, Northwood 7, Sevier 8
High Schools: JL Mann 6, Riverside 7, Wade Hampton 7

We were told by several people to avoid both Hillcrest Middle 6 and Hillcrest High 5, which eliminates most of Simpsonville.
We were told the same about Hillcrest when we moved here a decade ago. Looking at the course catalogs for the middle school, at least, the school did not offer courses to meet my kids' abilities.

My kids attended Beck and Mann. My oldest transferred to GSSM and graduated from there. If you have academically motivated and capable children, I would really give a move to SC a lot of thought.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:56 PM

It would be interesting to review the resume of your kids once they are grown and compare them to graduates of Hillcrest and other SC public schools.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:36 PM

For any young people look at this topic, please don't let adults beating up on your schools get you down.

If you do well in SC public schools, there's no reason to believe you won't do well in life.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:21 PM

34 posts, read 23,685 times
Current list of teaching vacancies by district (over 3400) in SC for next school year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1353451923

1. Teachers are leaving because of money, particularly in SC.
2. They’re also leaving because of “issues like CRT & LGBTQ+ grooming” in that they’re tired of far right politicians beating up on them about these fake issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area