Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,725 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I are trying to relocate from Brooklyn, NY to the Greenville area. While obviously dependent on jobs, we would like to try and get this done by September.

We are planning a visit during the summer, but I was wondering what kind of costs are associated with renting a house down there? Here in NYC, renters do not have to pay any part of the water bill for example...

Also, if anyone has any idea on the average cost of rentals these days, it would help, I'm finding 3+ bedroom homes that are ranging anywhere from $1000-$4000 a month...

Finally, if anyone wants to hire me, send me an email....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groganman View Post
Hi all,

My family and I are trying to relocate from Brooklyn, NY to the Greenville area. While obviously dependent on jobs, we would like to try and get this done by September.

We are planning a visit during the summer, but I was wondering what kind of costs are associated with renting a house down there? Here in NYC, renters do not have to pay any part of the water bill for example...

Also, if anyone has any idea on the average cost of rentals these days, it would help, I'm finding 3+ bedroom homes that are ranging anywhere from $1000-$4000 a month...

Finally, if anyone wants to hire me, send me an email....
it all depends on the place you are renting, everywhere is different, in my house I pay for everything, and I have to do my own yard upkeep, but one of my friends who lives across town doesn't even have to pay her electricity, so I guess talk to the landlord of the property you are looking at renting from

Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
it all depends on the place you are renting, everywhere is different, in my house I pay for everything, and I have to do my own yard upkeep, but one of my friends who lives across town doesn't even have to pay her electricity, so I guess talk to the landlord of the property you are looking at renting from

Well said it all just matters who you rent from. It will be up to your landlord what you will and will not have too pay. All depends on what kind of house you are looking for on the price range you can find some for 1000 a month or you can also find them a lot cheeper really just depends on what or where you want too live in.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM

p.s. search the word Rentals? in the greenville forum, I posted a thread that has lots of links to rental properties around town when I was moving here, hope this helps!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,846 times
Default rentals in Greenville, SC

I am being tranferred with my job and I am looking for a rental as well...I have noticed that alot of the landlords do NOT want pets. Since I have dogs and no human children this has been hard..the landlords that are ok with pets want an extreemely high ($300 to $500) non-refundable deposit! thats just greed! My dogs are much better behaved and cleaner than alot of kids! So if you know of a nice place (2 or 3 bedrooms around $1000 month) that likes pets, let me know ktatc235@aol.com

Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktatc235 View Post
I am being tranferred with my job and I am looking for a rental as well...I have noticed that alot of the landlords do NOT want pets. Since I have dogs and no human children this has been hard..the landlords that are ok with pets want an extreemely high ($300 to $500) non-refundable deposit! thats just greed! My dogs are much better behaved and cleaner than alot of kids! So if you know of a nice place (2 or 3 bedrooms around $1000 month) that likes pets, let me know ktatc235@aol.com
took me awhile, but I did find a place that charged NO deposit for my dog and its a 3 bedroom house, thats under 1000 a month. Just so you know its possible I recommend looking for private rental owners, most companies are unfair IMO, I understand a deposit but non refundable doesn't even make sense!! I found my house on the greenville newspaper (broken link) website in the classifieds, good luck to all!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:34 PM

32 posts, read 178,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktatc235 View Post
It may very well be that your dogs are cleaner than alot of kids, etc.
As a landlord myself, I have been promised that about a prospective tenant's animals - only to find out the complete opposite. It's very costly to repair and clean up after someone else's dogs & pets when they don't own the place. If I ever allow dogs again, that amount will definately be charged as a deposit.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcollector3 View Post
It may very well be that your dogs are cleaner than alot of kids, etc.
As a landlord myself, I have been promised that about a prospective tenant's animals - only to find out the complete opposite. It's very costly to repair and clean up after someone else's dogs & pets when they don't own the place. If I ever allow dogs again, that amount will definately be charged as a deposit.
but how can a landlord justify a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit like that (btw isn't that just a fee, not a deposit? lol)

Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 AM

642 posts, read 2,088,059 times
Well as a dog lover myself and as a child of someone who has rent out homes before. I can see how it is on each side. It is hard too trust people and you can only imagine what a dog or cat will do too a place if you are not takeing it out side. Or if you are letting it chew on everything. And that kind of stuff can cost a lot of money to get fixed. As for a pet deposit goes a lot of people don't give it back. Now too me that makes no since as long as you were truthful and your animal did not mess up the entire place. I could see chargeing a small fee that was not too be given back so you can get the carpets clean and the floors. But too keep 300 bucks is a little out there if nothing was done too the place. But one bad Apple always screws it for everyone.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 AM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
but how can a landlord justify a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit like that (btw isn't that just a fee, not a deposit? lol)
Easy, if they feel they must have the carpets cleaned after the tenant leaves that's easily $150. Then they might feel they need to have the house sprayed for fleas (yes, even the cleanest dog gets fleas) and that will be $100-$125. Perhaps one can negotiate half returned if there is no damage that might cause the rugs to have to be replaced or walls fixed. However, that said, cats are worse for pee than dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area