Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 AM

49 posts, read 272,325 times

Advertisements

This is a serious post! There is something seriously wrong in the Greenville Area with Allergies, Colds, Non Stop Coughing, Etc.! I have lived in SC my entire life and I have never seen anything like what I have seen for the past 2 years! I have 4 kids. My 6 year old daughter has been to the doctor 12-15 times in the last year or so...Coughing non stop sometimes (terrible sounding) and the doctor says it is Severe Allergies and could be Asthma..She has been on tons of meds! My 4 year old is now coughing almost non stop..We had to turn the shower on hot and steam the bathroom for him to get some relief and with a 103 fever and my 10 year old son has the exact same thing my 4 year old has at the exact same time! My 4 year old has been to the doctor some 10+ times..plenty of times with 103+ fever! I personally have been sick more than ever constantly trying to get all the nasty junk out of my throat..I had bacterial pneumonia with Hives (SCARY), the FLU, etc. It is not just my family but ALMOST every family I know are having alot of the same problems in this area! I think my we only got relief from November to December a few weeks or so!

I am very worried that something is seriously wrong in this area! I have family down towards Newberry and Columbia and they do NOT have anything like this going on! I know the pollen count is crazy..Is it just the pollen and pollution settling here or could it be something else???

I would like to hear from others??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
something else? like what? the pollen count here is pretty much the highest in the country. Knock on wood, I've been sick a couple times with a cold since I moved here 11 months ago, I think you're just having a bad couple years, my fiance's allergies are actually better down here than they were in ny, totally weird eh? she never uses her inhaler anymore and rarely blows her nose(she used to have to like every 5 minutes) I think "something is seriously wrong" is a little harsh, I have heard of people getting sick more often down here, but I chalk it up to change of climate for most people, in your case, I have no idea

Old 05-30-2008, 08:14 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Well for one...we haven't had enough rain since this started. I've been suffering terribly since last September...rarely have more than a low-grade fever but it is debilitating.

Go to this topic on the forum for more info and a possible cure:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...uman-kind.html

Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 AM

642 posts, read 2,088,059 times
It does sound like maybe your case is a little more then allergies. I can say I never did have allergies until I moved here. And I can feel it more this year then last. Maybe yall have something in your house makeing you that sick? That is one big thing I don't like about here is the allergies. But I don't think I would ever move over it. Just something I have learn too deal with.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
If I were you I'd have your house checked for mold spores. This can cause what you are seeing with the kids. I get a cough (usually after a cold) that doesn't seem to go away but it's not what you are experiencing. If inside under a/c windows closed conditions your children and you are coughing non-stop it's more than allergies.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 AM

179 posts, read 516,568 times
I have very bad allergies but I do not have (and never had) the non-stop cough. I do live on Zyrtec pretty much year round. With the VERY mild winters and not much rain the last few years it has been pretty bad. To the point that the roof of my mouth itches.

I would defintely have someone check your house for mold. I had a neighbhor whose son was very sick. The dr. was thinking maybe leukemia or something horrible like that and it turned out that in his room water got in between the roof and his outside wall and it was covered in black mold. They did alot of remidiation and now i believe he is fine.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Check with an Allergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post
This is a serious post! There is something seriously wrong in the Greenville Area with Allergies, Colds, Non Stop Coughing, Etc.! I have lived in SC my entire life and I have never seen anything like what I have seen for the past 2 years! I have 4 kids. My 6 year old daughter has been to the doctor 12-15 times in the last year or so...Coughing non stop sometimes (terrible sounding) and the doctor says it is Severe Allergies and could be Asthma..She has been on tons of meds! My 4 year old is now coughing almost non stop..We had to turn the shower on hot and steam the bathroom for him to get some relief and with a 103 fever and my 10 year old son has the exact same thing my 4 year old has at the exact same time! My 4 year old has been to the doctor some 10+ times..plenty of times with 103+ fever! I personally have been sick more than ever constantly trying to get all the nasty junk out of my throat..I had bacterial pneumonia with Hives (SCARY), the FLU, etc. It is not just my family but ALMOST every family I know are having alot of the same problems in this area! I think my we only got relief from November to December a few weeks or so!

I am very worried that something is seriously wrong in this area! I have family down towards Newberry and Columbia and they do NOT have anything like this going on! I know the pollen count is crazy..Is it just the pollen and pollution settling here or could it be something else???

Has everyone in the family been tested for allergies? Perhaps a good allergist could help you with this. My allergist once told me that when one moves to a new area, they usually have an allergy free zone of about a year and then the local pollen/allergenics take hold and they are sick again. Good luck. It's the pits to be sick all the time.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post

Nothing really wrong, it's just pollen.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...tal/index.html

Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
A coworker and I had this very same conversation today and she was born and raised here. Everyone's eyes at work are red. We are all hacking and/or have sore throats. I spent 4 out of my first 6 months here sick. I hadn't been sick in the previous three years! Go to a restaurant in town and just listen for coughs. You'll be surprised. This is actually the biggest concern I have about remaining in Greenville long-term. We have decided to rent for another year, partially for this reason. No place is worth being sick and/or w/ allergies all the time.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 PM

266 posts, read 1,025,565 times
Default Our experience

We have been here 10 months, and my kids have been to the doctors with ear infections every 6 weeks. We are now having tubes put in my 5 1/2 year old. And my 3 year old is on her way if it doesn't get better. They have not been ones to get ear infections EVER.

My husband and I have had some pretty nasty colds and just kept saying it was our bodies adjusting to SC.

My daughter was tested for allergies....NONE she didn't test positive for a single one. They have no explanation, and we just keep hearing that she should have outgrown this by now. Well she never had a problem till now.

Really weird, but glad its not just us. We had our house tested for Radon and it was fine. Not much else we can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area