Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
i'll Only Live Once And I Plan On Enjoying It! If My Hearing Gets Bad Then So Be It...plus You Can Already Have Fingers Grown Back, By The Time I'm 50 I'll Probably Be Able To Pay To Get My Hearing Back.
Amen To That!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 02:34 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,752,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturgal View Post
Hello All!

As you might know from my other posts; I will be moving to Greenville this summer. Yay! Hubby will be looking for a welding job while I look for our new home. I would like to know if there is a big problem with "boom cars" there.

When we lived in Florida it was an ongoing problem with loud, nerve racking, reverberating "so called music" emanating from cars. Here in small town Ohio it is not that common. Does Greenville crack down on noise polluters? I hope so!!
I don't know if there is a noise pollution law, but I DO know there are no car emission standards here. Your car or truck can belch out whatever air pollution it can create, and we all the get the lovely experience of breathing it in. There are some real clunkers on the roads here, leaving gray clouds in their wake.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 AM

23,070 posts, read 28,787,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'm planning to put four 8 inch subs in my truck with two amps. Now that's BOOM. Oh and we can't get forget about the new Pioneer CD player I just got installed. You think it's loud now, you just wait until g-man comes down your street. There is a noise ordinance but so many young people like me are installing this stuff in their cars that it's pretty much worthless to enforce it. That's why most cops downtown don't say anything when people are bumping their music down the street. All of the electronic retailers are selling it and installing it including Best Buy and Circuit City. I myself prefer Tweeter but they're just so expensive.
So once you get this equipment installed, why not take a trip down to Savannah, Georgia. Boom car drivers face up to a $1000 fine there, and 12 months in jail.

Or the state of Oregon ($1500 fine for first offense) or the state of Louisiana
with a $150 fine and loss of license for 30 days.

There is a noise-free movement afoot to make restrictions on boom cars Federal Law working with the EPA. If that should occur, many will be shedding tears onto their steering wheels for all the money they spent on their stereo equipment, all dressed up and nowhere to go!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:39 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,649,391 times
Ummm...I never installed it. Why are you quoting a post that old anyways?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So once you get this equipment installed, why not take a trip down to Savannah, Georgia. Boom car drivers face up to a $1000 fine there, and 12 months in jail.

Or the state of Oregon ($1500 fine for first offense) or the state of Louisiana
with a $150 fine and loss of license for 30 days.

There is a noise-free movement afoot to make restrictions on boom cars Federal Law working with the EPA. If that should occur, many will be shedding tears onto their steering wheels for all the money they spent on their stereo equipment, all dressed up and nowhere to go!
"up-to" being the operative words, IF they are pulled over 90% of the time its probably because the cops think there is something else going on besides noise, and if there isn't i'm sure they can plead the charge down to nothing in court.

As for the laws, please i'll believe it when I see it, and what the heck does the epa have to do with boom cars(such a funny term, sounds like some 90 year old man came up with that) anyway?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM

People like tijlover need to quit worrying about what other people have in their cars. That's like me worrying about my next door neighbor having a flat screen tv in their house. It's their vehicle. They own it. Let them install what they want in it. Oh and I do turn down my radio when I get to a stop light or sign. I'm courteous that way.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 PM

23,070 posts, read 28,787,871 times
The EPA represents Environmental Protection Agency. Protection of the environment. That includes any kind of pollution in the environment, including noise pollution.

Your courtesy and sensitivity in turning the volume down at intersections
overwhelms me.

New York City is another city you might want to avoid. Mayor Bloomberg is on a quest to make NYC the quietest big city in the U.S. with $350 fines for honking your horn in a residential neighborhood, making car alarms illegal in NYC, and they have their Operation Silent Night campaigns where unmarked police cars will target a busy intersection, targeting boom cars. In the process, they have apprehended a number of people with outstanding warrants.

I was recently in NYC and I never heard a boom car even in Harlem. And no police sirens either as they have been curtailed as well.

Oftentimes, a loud boom car going through a neighborhood signals that new drug shipment has just arrived.

And for the individual who displays such excessive sensitivity who turns down the volume at 2AM, well, I'm a night shift worker, and I sleep from 9AM to 5PM. Day Shift workers are forever assuming nobody works the night shift and are fighting to get some sleep during the day.

I live in a townhouse complex where we have our own police force. Boom cars down last long here. Three violation letters, along with fines, and they are evicted from the community.

These national Noise-free movements will one day equal the smoke-free movements. Enjoy your freedom while it lasts!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,000,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The EPA represents Environmental Protection Agency. Protection of the environment. That includes any kind of pollution in the environment, including noise pollution.

Your courtesy and sensitivity in turning the volume down at intersections
overwhelms me.

New York City is another city you might want to avoid. Mayor Bloomberg is on a quest to make NYC the quietest big city in the U.S. with $350 fines for honking your horn in a residential neighborhood, making car alarms illegal in NYC, and they have their Operation Silent Night campaigns where unmarked police cars will target a busy intersection, targeting boom cars. In the process, they have apprehended a number of people with outstanding warrants.

I was recently in NYC and I never heard a boom car even in Harlem. And no police sirens either as they have been curtailed as well.

Oftentimes, a loud boom car going through a neighborhood signals that new drug shipment has just arrived.

And for the individual who displays such excessive sensitivity who turns down the volume at 2AM, well, I'm a night shift worker, and I sleep from 9AM to 5PM. Day Shift workers are forever assuming nobody works the night shift and are fighting to get some sleep during the day.

I live in a townhouse complex where we have our own police force. Boom cars down last long here. Three violation letters, along with fines, and they are evicted from the community.

These national Noise-free movements will one day equal the smoke-free movements. Enjoy your freedom while it lasts!
It was a good post until you closed with the totalitarian theme. Society is full of rules so that neighbors don't kill each other. As far as I am concerned, (and I suspect you, too), those cars should be impounded.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:55 PM

How in the world does a forum member who lives in Las Vegas find this old thread? Something fishy is going on here.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,484,493 times
G-Man, you know you drive one of those boom-boom cars; admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area