Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

FINALLY. Where have you been? I thought you died. Where's the hug emotion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
I don't think many grasp how truly inventive these "street views" are (360 degree, ground level views, spaced very close). Also, I've encountered many who confuse the "street views" with overhead satellite photos (um, not even close).

One is able to "drive" and visually grasp an area with incredible clarity. This is just awesome for anybody wanting to virtually "visit" a city. Recently, my wife and I have been able to "visit" old childhood homes and "drive" around these neighborhoods. And, today, I was able to virtually "drive" down the Overseas Hwy into Key West.

Go to: Google Street View - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for an excellent overview.

Also try Welcome to EveryScape which takes "street views" to the next level. This incredible site offers virtual, automatic street level "tours" of a few cities. (At several intervals, one can even go INTO buildings!)

The application of this software is wide-ranging: visitor/relocation sites, real estate, etc. Perhaps will see this in GPS systems soon.

Hooray to Google! Looking forward to additional areas. (I'm surprised Spartanburg was not included in the Upstate street view map.)

Old 06-11-2008, 07:06 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,866 times
I agree!
Very, very cool!!

I already felt like I'd been to Greenville (I haven't) but I've been able to check out some houses we might possibly want to buy and literally see what the house next door looks like, the street coming in to yours, etc. VERY...VERY.....VERY helpful!!!

The only thing that scares me, is how creepy it is that we have this "Big Brother" eye watching us......and can even go into our homes! Yikes!! Think.......bathroom!

I saw a guy jogging on one of the streets I was "driving" down on the street map and he would be totally unaware he is being video taped and watched all around the world!

NOW....I'll NEVER be able to leave my house without my makeup on!!!! haha

Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
Lol too funny!!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Yeah this is creepy. Where is the camera?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Yeah this is creepy. Where is the camera?
I believe the camera is mounted on the top of a car or van.

Actually, here it is!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 AM

131 posts, read 696,534 times
I saw the vehicle driving in downtown Greenville about 6-8 Weeks ago on a saturday night. It looked like a Jeep Cherokee and had about 20 cameras on the roof pointing in every different direction. It also had about 10 Antennas on top of the roof as-well. I said to my girlfriend "looks like Greenville is finally going to get the "Street View" on google maps," looks like I was right. Street View is a Very cool Feature!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
able to "visit" old childhood homes and "drive" around these neighborhoods.
Sadly many of these areas that I would be interested in are not yet available. I am looking forward to them coming online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
I saw a guy jogging on one of the streets I was "driving" down on the street map and he would be totally unaware he is being video taped and watched all around the world!

I don't think it gets that close AcadianIrish.

My take on street view...they came through my neighborhood on garbage day. How ugly all those garbage cans and recycle bins are.

In another check...my neighbor is building a home not far away...his car appears at both properties! I thought that was weird but I love the technology.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:21 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
I believe the camera is mounted on the top of a car or van.

Actually, here it is!
ahh thank you.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 AM

548 posts, read 1,980,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
That's different. Birds Eye is from a plane while Street View is from a car.
That's a pretty low flying plane <G>...seriously though I've tried taking pictures from a plane and it's hard, maybe it was from a helicopter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area