Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 43,334 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband is considering a position in Greenville. From everything we've read, we're really excited about the area and see lots of ways in which it would be a perfect fit for us. The only thing we're concerned about is that we may not be "religious enough" for SC. We read in one post that SC is the "buckle of the Bible Belt." We, ourselves, do not practice any religion and are a little concerned that we might be too much in the minority. We're not vocal anti-religious freaks or anything like that, and we certainly don't have a problem with people who are religious, we just want to be in a place where we can be free not to practice a religion (and for our children not to practice a religion) without it being a big deal.

Thank you so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM

642 posts, read 2,083,275 times
It is not going to be a big deal you are going to get invited to church most likely. Just say no thank you. There are a lot of people that go to church you are right. But I know a lot that do not go, it is not going to be a big problem for you. Unless you start talking about how bad religion is or something like that.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM

511 posts, read 1,518,736 times
I agree with the last post. I also know a lot of people who go and a lot who do not. I say to each his own and no one has to answer for your actions so it's your choice. You will probably be invited--I actually had someone come to my home and ask me to sign a paper professing my faith. That one was over the top for me!!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 PM

6,893 posts, read 22,458,551 times
I do not attend church. Your new friends will invite you to join them, but you have to "just say no". We occasionally get Jehovah's at our door...but again all you have to do is "just say no".

Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 PM

192 posts, read 428,124 times
My husband and I also do not attend church. I have been invited by friends and co-workers . . . and politely decline.

What makes it even more interesting . . . I am a Bob Jones Grad :-)

Old 06-11-2008, 08:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,764,762 times
We do not go to church, but it does come up a lot here. People say grace at restaurants. You overhear a lot of conversations about church. People ask probing questions about it like, "You look familiar. Where have I seen you before? Was it at church maybe?" I've been asked this a few times in this way. I just say "I don't think so. You must be thinking of someone else." This morning, I actually heard that question asked of someone else. Before the first person finished their question, the second just asked where the first went to church. They hit it off rather well after that.

I had a couple of job interviews when I first got here where the subject of church/Sunday was brought up to get my reaction. I did not get nor want those jobs.

On the flip side, we have two good friends here that are atheist and quite vocal about it as well.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 PM

835 posts, read 2,299,376 times
You will most likely be asked where you go to church.

I will say that your children may be told "oooh you're going to hell." when they are in elementary school.

I'm being honest out of things I've seen myself.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 PM

642 posts, read 2,083,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
You will most likely be asked where you go to church.

I will say that your children may be told "oooh you're going to hell." when they are in elementary school.

I'm being honest out of things I've seen myself.
Don't you ever have anything nice to say? I know you got to have it in you some where.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:33 PM

835 posts, read 2,299,376 times
I'm just being honest.

Greenville has some really nice people.

There you go.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM

16 posts, read 47,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherinsc26 View Post
Don't you ever have anything nice to say? I know you got to have it in you some where.
how is being Honest not nice! I would like to Thank Guest poster for his Honesty and give him points for his Integrity!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area