Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM

169 posts, read 568,840 times

Advertisements

So, we moved here in November, relo covered by husband's company, thank God. Anyway, we love it so much, that we went and found a home for our son and his wife and their 2 little ones. What we are looking for is advice on how to move them. They are coming from Bulter, PA which is near Pittsburgh. We are thinking that we will need to go up and help pack and load, and possibly drive??? , as they really have no other help. Our question is this: what works the best? Rental trucks, pods, moving company? We are looking for the safest, most cost effective way of doing this. We have never moved someone else long distance, and since we had a relo compnay take care of us we are clueless......Thanks in advance......and welcome back Skyliner! Hope all is well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 05:47 PM

192 posts, read 427,770 times
When we moved here from central Wisconsin 6 years ago, we rented a Penske truck, packed it with the help of a couple of friends, drove down here, and unpacked it with the help of a couple of friends. Hard work, no doubt about it . . . but movers are quite expensive.

We had actually looked at the possibility of doing a "you pack" situation where a pod of some sort would be dropped off, we would pack it, and then they would drive it down here. We found it difficult to get anyone to nail down exactly when the pod/container would be delivered here. I simply wasn't comfortable with not having any of my early possessions and not having a definitely delivery date.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 PM

642 posts, read 2,082,138 times
ahh it is just as easy and most likely cheeper to do it yourself. We never had anyone do it for us and trust me I have lived all over the darn place it seems lol. Might be harder work but whats the fun in letting someone else have all the fun lol

Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 PM

470 posts, read 593,485 times
We just relocated from Rochester, NY to Greenville. I did all the research into the various methods.
Moving Company - You need to get a very reputable one (there are so many bad moving companies) and this will cost at least $5000, more like $6000 to $7000. They deliver on their own schedule, once they pick up your household items they will deliver it in 5 - 8 days. They do not just pick it up move it and have it there the next day. So your Son will need to have some place to stay until they deliver the truck

Pods - You load and unload at your convenience. You rent one pod 8X8X16 (I would have needed 2) for $420 each and it would have cost $1800 to deliver. But again you have to wait 5 days not including Saturday or Sunday before the pod(s) are actually delivered and I just didn't like that.

U-Haul offers the biggest truck, compared to Penske and the like. I think it was 27 foot and you can get prices right on their website (uhaul.com) It cost me about $1200 but I also rented a car hauler to tow one of my cars. And of course you pay for gas they get around 7 mpg for me that worked out to another $425. U-Haul charged me an extra $40 because I kept 1 extra day (4 days were included in the original price)

Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 PM

354 posts, read 1,074,127 times
Well, we just finished loading two pods here in Seattle........and in a couple weeks will have two more delivered and my husband will load the last of the stuff in them.

We have moved a lot ourselves and even had international moves (from Canada). We moved a couple years ago from the East Coast of Canada to the West Coast of the USA and we used a moving company because of the the customs issues, etc. I would never recommend it again. They charge way too much.......and they didn't show up on time.......nor deliver on time. On top of everything.......you pay for weight. Who knows how much it actually cost? A company we used (which is internationally known) seemed to quote us one price.........then apparently.......they "underestimated" the load once they "weighed" it.

Ironically, we found WEIGHTS.......in our load when opening up a few boxes????
Hummmmm........it was just one box of weights...but who knows how many other boxes they possibly added to our load.....weighed it....then unloaded before delivery.......and forgot this one box?? After that......we had a very sour taste in our mouth for moving companies. I'm sure they don't all do this, but they are franchised so you never know what you are getting.

So far.......we really like the "pod" idea. They dropped them off when they said they would........and picked them up at our leisure. We took our time this past week loading them while they were in our driveway. We also like the fact that we could condense the space used by filling dresser drawers, etc and get creative with using the space.

We had also decided to have another drop off of a couple more pods in a couple more weeks. (lots of stuff! haha) There is another drop off fee but it's only $100 bucks or something like that. It's worth the price so we won't feel so rushed to pack everything in a couple of days. Once the children and I leave to go to Canada for the summer, my husband will pack up the last of it.....and then be on his way.

Now......let's hope everything gets to Greenville on time and in one peace!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM

5 posts, read 9,492 times
We are moving from Wisconsin to Simpsonville next week and considering gas costs etc the best option I found was ABF. Like the pods, the truck is delivered to your house and you have 3 days(more if needed)to load it, and they pick it up and drive it for you. The trucks are 28 feet long, but the height of a semi, and you are only charged for the number of feet that you need, or in our case we have a 4 beedroom home to move, so we can use more than the estimated footage if needed. It takes about 5 days to arrive, but for an extra $300-400, they will guarantee a delivery date. It is costing about 2000.00 for our total move including guaranteed delivery. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:06 PM

82 posts, read 314,807 times
I have done U-Haul FOUR TIMES in the past two years. While I've never really had a bad experience, I might try Pods this time around.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:13 PM

63 posts, read 182,330 times
That sounds almost the same price as me renting a U haul. I think they were going to charge me 1300 to go from upper Michigan to Greenville area. Where can I find that service that you used.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarn85 View Post
We are moving from Wisconsin to Simpsonville next week and considering gas costs etc the best option I found was ABF. Like the pods, the truck is delivered to your house and you have 3 days(more if needed)to load it, and they pick it up and drive it for you. The trucks are 28 feet long, but the height of a semi, and you are only charged for the number of feet that you need, or in our case we have a 4 beedroom home to move, so we can use more than the estimated footage if needed. It takes about 5 days to arrive, but for an extra $300-400, they will guarantee a delivery date. It is costing about 2000.00 for our total move including guaranteed delivery. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:21 PM

169 posts, read 568,840 times
Thanks for all the responses... Looks like it's a Penske move. They have the best price, AAA discount and the locations here and there work out great.
On another note, we feel so blessed. We found out that one of our new neighbor's dad is giving a car to his daughter, who lives right where we need to go, so we are going to help this 75 year old man arrive safely! We can't believe how amazing this is. We were going to rent a car, and now we will save some $$$$. He was planning on traveling there at the exact time we were.
Greenville grows by 4 more that week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area