Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to South Carolina: relocating, job market, traffic, electricity costs, heating bill.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 28,498 times

Advertisements

Hey I hope your return to NY was a safe journey. I'm glad you were able to come down for a few days to take a look around, but am sorry that your place turned out to be less than desirable. Where exactly in Roebuck is it located (if you don't mind me asking)? I know PLENTY of construction/remodelers, so if we can be of assistance to you, please let me know.
On a lighter note, I hope that what you saw & experienced of Roebuck & the Upstate of South Carolina was appealing to you. We're pretty simple people here, but we LOVE the south! So hurry on back to the state of "Smiling Faces & Beautiful Places"!

Last edited by waccamatt; 08-06-2008 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Please do not bold entire posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times
Here's some tips for ya, you can't buy any alcohol on Sundays unless your in Greenville city limits
If someone starts talking to you in the grocery store chances are they aren't going to ask you for money or tell you they'll pay for your food with their benefit card if you give them cash(might sound weird to some but it used to happen to me in NY) actually they probably just want to say hi or recommend some produce to ya
You don't really need winter jackets here(at least I didn't coming from Rochester NY) it barely snows and when it does it only lasts a day or two, parts of the winter were 60 degree days last year!!
Shopping carts are called buggies and everyone says ya'll alot, and they drive pretty crazy around here(even though people try to tell me its the northerners that move down here that are the crazy drivers
Some stuff does move a bit slower down here but its not as bad as the people up north will tell you it is, i've found that this particular area is pretty progressive!
There are quite a few people from different areas of the country here, so don't feel like you'll be outnumbered, I meet people from all over the US every day, and i've never once felt like I didn't fit in as a yank down here in the south.
You might want to think about selling the property and finding another one, good deals down here are a dime a dozen! I missed out on a cheap little lake home a few weeks ago and i'm still kicking myself about it! Anyway hope things move as fast as you want them to and maybe i'll see you around!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM

91 posts, read 269,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyLadySC View Post
Hey I hope your return to NY was a safe journey. I'm glad you were able to come down for a few days to take a look around, but am sorry that your place turned out to be less than desirable. Where exactly in Roebuck is it located (if you don't mind me asking)? I know PLENTY of construction/remodelers, so if we can be of assistance to you, please let me know.
On a lighter note, I hope that what you saw & experienced of Roebuck & the Upstate of South Carolina was appealing to you. We're pretty simple people here, but we LOVE the south! So hurry on back to the state of "Smiling Faces & Beautiful Places"!
The trip back wasn`t bad. I hit the road at about 6am and was
both amazed and delighted that "rush hour" in SC amounted to maybe an
extra handful of cars on the road(about 80-90% less traffic than "rush hour" up here on Long Island). I minorly screwed up on my way back to GSP, when I saw the sign Exits 56, 57 coming up - little did I know both exits were combined into one, so I had to go past the airport to exit 55 to turn around, fill up the rental car, and get back to the airport. When I turned into the airport, I *THOUGHT* I must have screwed up again, because I found myself driving into what seemed like some sort of aboretum or nature conservancy/park, but then I remembered that GSP seemed that way on my way out. The airport in Greenville is absolutely gorgeous and is the most un-airport like airport that I`ve ever had the pleasure of going through. Quiet, clean, uncrowded, and traveler-
friendly - it looked like NY`s famous Central Park, but without the litter, noise, crackheads, gangbangers, and homeless Beautiful gardens, reflecting pools, fountains and manicured grounds and hedges, and everyone was helpful, friendly and congenial, even the airport security
personel were more relaxed and approachable than their counterparts up
north. This was also the most easy in-and-out airport I`ve ever experienced, driving-wise. GSP is an absolute night and day contrast to
the horror that is Newark, NJ`s Liberty airport!!! I *think* I ditched the last of the fleas in Newark(on the jet, and by some miracle, managed to find my car after being dropped off by the terminal bus in what seems a
10 acre parking lot. The [cough] "economy" parking lot charged me $50
to park for about 3 days, and I finally got the heck outta NJ and back to LI by late afternoon. The only reason I flew in and out of Newark, is that the airfares to GSP are *MUCH* cheaper than out of JFK, LGA (or ISP, which is only about 30-40 minutes away from where I live)

As far as the actual address of the property, is there a way to email/PM you or for you to email/PM me? I really don`t want to post the address here for various reaons, but I`d be happy to supply you with the addy if you might know someone who could help me get the property straightened out. I`m thinking: demolish/haul-this-puppy-off-to-the-dumps(fleas-and-all), and replace it with a newer mobile at this point.

Last edited by waccamatt; 08-06-2008 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: quoted post

Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 28,498 times
So glad to hear you made it back safely. Sorry I am just responding; I haven't been on here in awhile due to being VERY busy. Anyway, I do not blame you for not wanting to leave the physical address on here. Don't need the fleas to get vandalized now do we......lol! Sorry----I just had to!! The demolition my be your best bet on that. Let me know if there is anything that we can do while you are up there, or when you get back down here in God's country! My email is It is not recommended to post your contact info publicly. I will be glad to keep an eye on the place for you, & you can let me know if you need us to do anything down there. Like I told you before, my boyfriend is a carpenter.
Hope this finds you well. Hurry on back down.

Last edited by waccamatt; 08-06-2008 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: Please do not bold entire posts

Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So glad to hear you made it back safely.
Thanks, yeah I got back in one piece, but will NEVER fly out of Newark again if I can possibly help it! If I DO decide to fly down there again(instead of just driving the 800 miles), I found a much better, faster, easier and cheaper way to get down there by flying out of LAGuardia and to Charlotte, NC instead of Greenville - it`s 90 miles to Roebuck, which down there, is probably only about a 1 1/2 hour or so drive, and since Budget rent-a-car doesn`t charge for mileage, that might be my best bet if I only have a couple or so days that I can get away from here.
Quote:
Sorry I am just responding; I haven't been on here in awhile due to being VERY busy.
Same here - My "part-time" job is eating up a heckuvalot of my time, and getting an extra couple of days off out of my employer is like pulling wisdom teeth, and it just doesn`t pay to travel 1,600 miles for a normal, 2-day weekend, only to have to rush back, exhausted, just in time to go right back to work.
Quote:
Anyway, I do not blame you for not wanting to leave the physical address on here. Don't need the fleas to get vandalized now do we......lol! Sorry----I just had to!!
It`s not that, of course - I`d be DELIGHTED if someone were to help themselves to the mobile home, both additions, and even the detached steel garage - it`s just that the address is public record, and I`m leary of having anyone that happens onto this thread, be
able to look up my (*VERY* unusual)real name, which, AFAIK, is shared with only 2 or 3 other people in the entire US. I`d be happy to email you with all my info, (and I see you tried to post your email addy), but the moderator is obviously concerned with user privacy and safety, as well, and rightfully so. He`d probably also nix the property address if I posted
it, so let`s just say it`s a few blocks in off of Wingo, off of Church St ext,
in the dilapidated mobile home section.
Quote:
The demolition my be your best bet on that. Let me know if there is anything that we can do while you are up there, or when you get back down here in God's country! My email is It is not recommended to post your contact info publicly. I will be glad to keep an eye on the place for you, & you can let me know if you need us to do anything down there. Like I told you before, my boyfriend is a carpenter.
Hope this finds you well. Hurry on back down.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer and might just take you guys up on it. I talked to a builder in Boiling Springs who recommended a husband and wife
demolition team he`s used in the past, he asked for my contact info and the property address, and said he would pass it on to them, for them to go take a look and give me an estimate, but Ihaven`t heard back yet. I got the builder`s phone #, so maybe I`ll give him a call and see what`s
happening(if anything) with that. The builder of course, wanted to sell me a house(their cheapest model is like $90k, to build on my land), and he
of course, doesn`t have much incentive to do anything for me, once he realized my budget is about 1/10th of that

I`m trying to wind up with an inexpensive little place that`s liveable, but cheap to keep, so I can kick things down a notch or two, workwise, when I move down there. I don`t want a mortgage - I want a place that`s paid-in-full, so I only have to worry about utilities(which are relatively cheap down there and property taxes(which are *MUCH* cheaper than up here). I`m 50 y/o, and want to be able to slow down, work less, and not stress about housing expenses, and have more free time to enjoy life.
Heck, I would be happy and perfectly-content living in a slightly-modified shipping container, if I could get away with that, zoning/permit-wise, LOL

It`s going to take me until the end of this year to finish paying the place off, then I gotta dig up the funds to have the place demolished and hauled away, and then I gotta dig up more funds to put something halfway decent in it`s place. I`m not picky - if I could get away with "perma-parking" a big ol` motorhome in the driveway, hook it up to water, sewer and electric, and just live in THAT, I would, but somehow, I think Spartanburg County would have an issue or 3 with that

Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 PM

835 posts, read 2,296,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_From_NY View Post

Thanks, I appreciate the offer and might just take you guys up on it.
I thought you wanted to leave New York up there.lol.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I thought you wanted to leave New York up there.lol.
Sorry, I should have said "Y`all"

Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM

11 posts, read 53,425 times
Default Roebuck?

Wow! You are from NY and of all the places in SC ....you find Roebuck? That is odd. Yes, we have "sweet tea" in Roebuck and SC, and it's cute to hear everyone say "Ya'll" and "Thank you ma'am and sir". If you are moving to SC with your retirement nest egg -from NY- you'll feel like a brilliant, wealthy king in the land of southern quaintness. The first thing you need to do is join a Baptist Church and you'll fit right in ...even with your NY accent. The Baptist Church is also where you'll quickly find your job hook-ups.
After that, you can buy anyone and everything you want or need. Roebuck is located about 15 miles from the home of the state's KKK leader, and a few miles from the land of trailer parks and ghetto areas. So, if you look on a map....you have drugs, churches, KKK and ethnic gangs from other states, and poor working class southerners.
SC has the highest un-employment rate it's seen in years....ck out the papers.... Air quality especially in the upstate is the worst...again, ck out the newspapers. Factories and new businesses are not taxed and environmental regulations are lax. There's a huge population increase in the state, so expect more crowds and cars and pollution in the near future. Insuance for homes especially on the coast is very high and the cost of living has driven many SC natives out or driven them into foreclosure. Many have moved into campers (Roebuck has a campground) and trailer parks. The state has seen huge, recent budget cuts, so expect state-supported entities to decline. Soon we'll be just like the northern states.... only we'll have sweet tea. Ya'll come.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 13,054 times
Thumbs up Why Roebuck?

I have just registered on the forum so I can say to our soon to be new neighbor here in Roebuck -you will love living here, I am sure! We grew up in PA, moved to FL in 1977 living in several different areas of that state. We moved up here from FL in the fall of 2006 and even though we still have family living down there, this is HOME! The people in this area are very welcoming, friendly and helpful and we feel so at home. Just want to say I have a very good idea of just where you have purchased your property. We live very close by (just a little east and south of the Post Office) and we know the area off Wingo where you will be living. Roebuck is ideally situated-6 miles to the Westgate area for shopping and 6 miles into the center of Spartanburg and only a short drive over to Greenville if you need or want to go there. A short drive up I-26 and you can be in the beautiful mountains of both SC and NC! Sure do hope you are having success in getting rid of the existing home and able to find a replacement home real soon! We live in a 1999 manufactured home and love it and our property here in Roebuck! Keep us all posted how things are going for you in your move to God's country-Roebuck SC!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashasings View Post
Wow! You are from NY and of all the places in SC ....you find Roebuck? That is odd.
Roebuck found me, rather than the other way around. That`s where the ebay item I decided to bid on, was located. I never heard of Roebuck before this. Then again, I never heard of Inman, Greer, Moore, Duncan, Traveler`s Rest, Boiling Springs, Woodruff, Laurens, ect, either - until I bought this place and started getting into learning about the Upstate region. It seems I stumbled onto a gem that ya`ll would rather keep all to yourselves,
but don`t worry, your secret is safe with me

Quote:
Yes, we have "sweet tea" in Roebuck and SC, and it's cute to hear everyone say "Ya'll" and "Thank you ma'am and sir". If you are moving to SC with your retirement nest egg -from NY- you'll feel like a brilliant, wealthy king in the land of southern quaintness.
WHAT "retirement
nest egg"?!? I don`t HAVE one, will need to find a job right away, and will need to work for the next 10-15 years in SC, before I can hope to have anything approaching some semblence of "retirement". As things presently stand, the only thing I`m going to have(about 15 years down the road) is a few hundred dollars a month from SS. The whole idea of my
buying a cheap little place in Roebuck, is to own my own little place free and clear, wih low taxes and cost of living, so as to be able to have some semblence of security and some semblence of a life, and be able to retire
on what little SS pension I will eventually be getting(assuming I even live that long).

Quote:
The first thing you need to do is join a Baptist Church and you'll fit right in ...even with your NY accent. The Baptist Church is also where you'll quickly find your job hook-ups.
After that, you can buy anyone and everything you want or need.
Wow, that`s a little harsh It seems the stereotype of NYers is still
alive and well with some of ya`ll folks Let me try and clear up a few
common misconceptions:
1)Not EVERY NYer lives in NYC - in fact, some 12,000,000 NYers do NOT
live in NYC, and many live in suburbs, small towns, and yes, even rural areas(which NY has in abundance, once you go north or west of Rockland County)

2)Not EVERY Nyer has $$$ or makes a 6-figure income - many of us are
working-class stiffs, working 1 (or more) jobs just to get by, pay the bills, and survive for another week. I am one of them.

3)Not EVERY NYer is rude, pushy, impatient, uncivil, discorteous and wants ya`ll to change your ways to accomodate them - there is no dire shortage of such folks here(I`ll be the first to admit), but I dislike them as much as you do.
Quote:
Roebuck is located about 15 miles from the home of the state's KKK leader, and a few miles from the land of trailer parks and ghetto areas. So, if you look on a map....you have drugs, churches, KKK and ethnic gangs from other states, and poor working class southerners.
SC has the highest un-employment rate it's seen in years....ck out the papers.... Air quality especially in the upstate is the worst...again, ck out the newspapers. Factories and new businesses are not taxed and environmental regulations are lax. There's a huge population increase in the state, so expect more crowds and cars and pollution in the near future. Insuance for homes especially on the coast is very high and the cost of living has driven many SC natives out or driven them into foreclosure. Many have moved into campers (Roebuck has a campground) and trailer parks. The state has seen huge, recent budget cuts, so expect state-supported entities to decline. Soon we'll be just like the northern states.... only we'll have sweet tea. Ya'll come.
Sheesh I don`t know wether you are simply trying to discourage me
from relocating, or genuinely unhappy with where you live. If it`s the former, sorry, outside of maybe the KKK, we have all the maladies up here
that ya`ll have down there, only it`s a lot colder and a *LOT* more expensive to live up here. No place is perfect, every place has it`s warts,
and it`s problems, and it`s easy to find flaws if you`re looking for flaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area