U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to South Carolina: relocating, job market, traffic, electricity costs, heating bill.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 AM

91 posts, read 231,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgrammy View Post
I have just registered on the forum so I can say to our soon to be new neighbor here in Roebuck -you will love living here, I am sure! We grew up in PA, moved to FL in 1977 living in several different areas of that state. We moved up here from FL in the fall of 2006 and even though we still have family living down there, this is HOME! The people in this area are very welcoming, friendly and helpful and we feel so at home. Just want to say I have a very good idea of just where you have purchased your property. We live very close by (just a little east and south of the Post Office) and we know the area off Wingo where you will be living. Roebuck is ideally situated-6 miles to the Westgate area for shopping and 6 miles into the center of Spartanburg and only a short drive over to Greenville if you need or want to go there. A short drive up I-26 and you can be in the beautiful mountains of both SC and NC! Sure do hope you are having success in getting rid of the existing home and able to find a replacement home real soon! We live in a 1999 manufactured home and love it and our property here in Roebuck! Keep us all posted how things are going for you in your move to God's country-Roebuck SC!
Well, thank you Mrs. Grammy for your warm welcome! Yes, Roebuck is
ideally-located, both on a local-level and on a national level. It has the "best of both worlds"-factor on many levels. On a national level, it`s exactly halfway between NYC and south Florida, not too hot during the summer(like FL), and not too cold during the winter(like NY). And on a local level, it`s located near easy access to GSP, Amtrak, and major highways, and is close enough to plenty of jobs, businesses, services and amenities offered by cities such as Spartanburg and Greenville, but is out far enough in the country to be quiet and peaceful. It`s not in hurricane alley, not in a flood-zone, not in an earthquake-prone area, and (AFAIK) immune from winter ice, snow and blizzards, but still has the 4 seasons to enjoy year round. It`s also an inexpensive place to live. What`s not to like? Having city water is also a big plus, what with the drought in
some parts of the Carolinas causing wells to dry up. It has a slightly higher risk of tornados then the national average(about 25% higher), but
that`s about the ONLY "downside" and a fairly minor one at that. I think Roebuck is a great location on a number of levels, and think the Upstate in general, is an excellent choice of locale.

As to the mobile home, it`s old, basically shot, and not worth fixing up, and will need to be replaced. The porch and add-on room need to be torn down as well, and hauled off to the dumps. The small steel garage, I`m undecided on, but am leaning towards the clean-slate approach on that as well. All in all, it`s probably set back my relocation plans by at least a year - I was hoping to be living in Roebuck by this February, but it looks like that`s just not going to be possible. It looks like I will definately be spending another winter in NY, and, short of an unexpected windfall, may
well be spending the following winter here as well

Although I financed the initial purchase(didn`t have any choice if I wanted the place), and it will take me until sometime between the end of this year
and Feb 09 to finish paying off, I am trying to do this on a pay-as-you-go basis, and would like to wind up moving to Roebuck without any kind of a loan hanging over my head - even if that means being stuck up here for a
couple of more years in order to accomplish my goal.

As it stands now, nothing will happen until after I pay off the property.
The next step is to pay for demolition/removal of the existing mobile home,
which will likely be sometime this coming Spring. Until then, it`s going to be another long, cold winter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Here's some tips for ya, you can't buy any alcohol on Sundays unless your in Greenville city limits
If someone starts talking to you in the grocery store chances are they aren't going to ask you for money or tell you they'll pay for your food with their benefit card if you give them cash(might sound weird to some but it used to happen to me in NY) actually they probably just want to say hi or recommend some produce to ya
You don't really need winter jackets here(at least I didn't coming from Rochester NY) it barely snows and when it does it only lasts a day or two, parts of the winter were 60 degree days last year!!
Shopping carts are called buggies and everyone says ya'll alot, and they drive pretty crazy around here(even though people try to tell me its the northerners that move down here that are the crazy drivers
Some stuff does move a bit slower down here but its not as bad as the people up north will tell you it is, i've found that this particular area is pretty progressive!
There are quite a few people from different areas of the country here, so don't feel like you'll be outnumbered, I meet people from all over the US every day, and i've never once felt like I didn't fit in as a yank down here in the south.
You might want to think about selling the property and finding another one, good deals down here are a dime a dozen! I missed out on a cheap little lake home a few weeks ago and i'm still kicking myself about it! Anyway hope things move as fast as you want them to and maybe i'll see you around!
Thanks, Noodles I haven`t run into any crazy drivers in the 3 days I was down here, but then again, there is so much more available road-per-vehicle here than in the NY metro area, that maybe I didn`t notice "Rush hour" on the highway back to GSP from Spartanburg at 7am was
a joke compared to NY. The highway was only slightly less empty than
it was during "off-peak" hours

Good to hear I won`t be the only Yank down there In the three days I spent down there, everyone was nice, friendly and helpful, and made me
feel welcome, which helps to offset the couple of "mixed reviews" of my
relocation plans on this forum

Yeah, I haven`t ruled out selling and buying something else, but my budget is very small, particularly since I want to do this on a more or less cash-basis, with no loans or mortgages, and right now is a bad time to be trying to sell. I have a waterview buildable lot in WV w/all utilities on site
that I bought at the beginning of this year, and am thinking of selling to try and speed up the process in Roebuck, but it`s largely a buyer`s market all over.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:19 PM

641 posts, read 2,155,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashasings View Post
Roebuck is located about 15 miles from the home of the state's KKK leader, and a few miles from the land of trailer parks and ghetto areas. So, if you look on a map....you have drugs, churches, KKK and ethnic gangs from other states, and poor working class southerners.
That's pretty much all of SC, not just Roebuck.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 11,631 times
Exclamation Enough of the Negative Comments

In reading some of the recent posts, I just have to say it sounds as though there are a few folks around who have negative comments on this thread as well as some others threads I have been reading. Please ignore those negative people and know that the majority of folks you will meet in SC are NOT like the few who have posted those comments. To those who have nothing positive in the way of comments or advice to give those moving from other areas of the country, I would advise them to channel their anger and frustrations in another direction or perhaps go help a fellow South Carolinian in need. There are enough problems and worries going on in our world right now than to dwell on such idiotic things as the KKK etc!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgrammy View Post
In reading some of the recent posts, I just have to say it sounds as though there are a few folks around who have negative comments on this thread as well as some others threads I have been reading. Please ignore those negative people and know that the majority of folks you will meet in SC are NOT like the few who have posted those comments. To those who have nothing positive in the way of comments or advice to give those moving from other areas of the country, I would advise them to channel their anger and frustrations in another direction or perhaps go help a fellow South Carolinian in need. There are enough problems and worries going on in our world right now than to dwell on such idiotic things as the KKK etc!
I have noticed the negative comments as well. I catagorize them into 2
catagories:

1) Those that want to keep their little gem of an area secret(<---Can`t really blame them for that, and don`t want outsiders moving in.

2) Those that are chronically unhappy with their lives, and blame their lack of success on the area in which they live(though not necessarily overtly)

#1 is at least understandable, but the #2 folks will be unhappy and unsuccessful no matter WHERE they move to, IMHO.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 PM

Well, I'm back after a 9 year hiatus. No, not back on Lawn Guyland - I never managed to leave. 8( I'm back on this forum for the first time in about 9 years, because the few attempts I made at password recovery failed because I thought my username
was EscapeFromNY, instead of Escape_From_NY, lol.

Anyways, I'm still marooned on LI, never having achieved the "e$cape velocity" to move to Roebuck because of the need to get another $ingle-wide onto the property because the old one was demolished by the County about 1 or 2 years after I bought the property. Been payin' the annual property taxes on it every for the 10 years - thankfully taxes are so cheap, it's a joke. I spend more on cheap Dollar Tree instant coffee per year.

A lot has happened since my last previous post on this thread - some of it quite good, followed by several things quite bad.
I WAS about a year away from being able to bankroll a used singlewide and the transition to SC, pretty much in the black,
but I failed my last DOT medical due to no-longer-in-control diabetes, and wound up losing my CDL, and decent-paying job along with it. That was about 18 months ago. I haven't worked since, and have not collected *anything*$$ (eg; unemployment, disability, ect) in that entire time. Needless to say, my CC debt is now well into the 5-figures(@28.9% with no grace periods).

It also didn't help, that this past November, I took my first-ever ambulance ride I had been hacking up more phlegm than usual for the past 2 weeks, when suddenly, my breathing went from "normal" to about 25% of normal, in the course of about 15 seconds, and it felt like somebody poured Louisiana Hot Sauce on my heart. No real pain, and no pressure, but definitely felt this weird sort of spicy heat on my heart, and knew that this was serious. I had my housemate, who was just getting ready to leave for work at 6:30am, call an ambulance for me, and told him to leave all the lights on and the door unlocked on his way out. The ambulance came quickly, and there was a moment or 2 I wasn't sure I would make to the fairly-nearby hospital alive - or at least conscious.

Turns out I had pneumonia(How do you get pneumonia in 50 degree weather??), and fluid had built up around my heart.
They did a high-contrast CT scan (which I was really concerned about, because as an ambulette driver, I know at least 3 patients - including a 16! y/o girl, who *permanently* lost kidney function due to the dye and were now on dialysis), but they insisted they needed to do the high-contrast scan, so I let them go ahead with it. The "money-shot" was the 5 or so minutes they spent shoving a catheter in my wrist and routing it to my heart ($16k for that ALONE). They didn't find any clots so thankfully, I didn't need a stent, but they said I'm 50% clogged, and when it gets to 70% they gotta roto-rooter me or something. I'm not too worried about that, because if it took 61 years for me to be 50% clogged, I figure I'm not gonna see the 80 or so years old I'd need to be to reach 70% anyway, as several other things will likely kill me first.

Although when the ambulance came I did not have the wherewithal to put on pants, shoes and socks, I DID have the presence of mind to put my smartphone, tablet and wall-charger in a plastic bag to bring with me (Priorities, yanno?)
I didn't miss a beat playing my favorite 2 long-term, hidden object games while in ICU All in all I spent 2 days in ICU, followed by 3 days in a regular unit. Hospital bill ALONE? $64k. Add on another $5k or so for the loose ends.

So, upon being discharged with 10(!) Rxs to fill, what did I do? I had my friend come down and pick me up. We passed both a CVS and Walgreens, but the only stop I had him make, was at a liquor store. When I got home, I figured I was about 300 cigarettes and 50 cocktails behind schedule. I finally went to the pharmacy a month after being discharged, filled only 7 out of the 10 meds prescribed, and after getting home and reading the fine print on those meds, decided to take only 1 out of the 10 - metformin, which I washed down with vodka.

The hospital said I had congestive heart failure, my primary care physician says I don't. Some other doctor says I have COPD, but my pulmonary doctor, after extensive tesing, says my breathing is 97% of normal - not bad considering I smoke
3 packs a day. It goes without saying I'm not exactly a model patient, lol.

OK, I'll stop rambling now...;p

Old 04-28-2019, 06:13 PM

673 posts, read 350,301 times
Damn, and I think I have problems!.. God bless you sir.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:01 AM

Thank you.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 AM

8 posts, read 1,607 times
The Roebuck area is very laid back. Along with nearby Moore, it is growing. There's several new manufacturing facilities along Highway 290 and it seems houses are popping up everyone. For families, the sprawling Dorman High School is located in Roebuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area