Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 16,529 times

Advertisements

I need help! I have read a lot of these posts and Iam becoming increasingly concerned about racism in the Greenville area. I am white and married to my husband of 19 years who is black. we will be moving in 2-4 weeks and I need some advice. I am from Augusta Ga and we really have no problems here. Now years ago was a different story,but things have really changed.are my two sons going to be susceptible to insults? They look like young black men, I have posted some pictures in my album. I am going to pray about it and Trust GOD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM

835 posts, read 2,306,005 times
It depends on who you talk to. I'm white. I'm in school. Have I heard the n-word more than once this past school year.? Yes. But it's mainly about when people let their guard down.(because I'm white)

You may experience weird looks but any blatant racism will not be said to your face but to others in private.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have any problems.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:39 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Hi 2blessed!

I cannot speak for everyone, yet based on decades of experience living in this city, I can positively reassure you that one of the main reasons this place is growing at a healthy rate is directly related to the welcome acceptance of diversity in many forms throughout the community. Rest assured that your life is likely to be every bit as peaceful in Greenville as it has been in Augusta - and I would not be even slightly surprised to hear that you have found this area to be much better. Your last sentence is good advise to follow and shows your level of confidence that everything will be just fine in the end.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:54 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
I spent two months living in Augusta before I actually settled in Greenville,(work related) I can say I don't think you'll have any problems

Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM

82 posts, read 315,689 times
I am white. I am from the west coast and grew up in a racist family which actually served to make me afraid of how non-whites would view ME. Like, do they think I'm trash because my family is this way? I have never been racist but I have always been scared to interact other races because of this.

Anyway, I just visited Greenville for the first time and made up my mind not to let anything bother me. I wanted to talk to everyone. Well, turns out that all of my neighbors are black, and they were some of the nicest people ever! They welcomed me with open arms and I loved talking to all of them. I found that to be true with everyone I encountered in Greenville regardless of race. People seem to be very friendly and accepting of each other.

I guess my situation is kind of backwards but I thought I'd throw in my two cents to let you know that I had a great experience as a newcomer to Greenville and that I don't think you should be concerned about racism.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
It depends on who you talk to. I'm white. I'm in school. Have I heard the n-word more than once this past school year.? Yes. But it's mainly about when people let their guard down.(because I'm white)

You may experience weird looks but any blatant racism will not be said to your face but to others in private.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have any problems.
Thanks so much! allof this info has helped me feel so much better! God is Good!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Hi 2blessed!

I cannot speak for everyone, yet based on decades of experience living in this city, I can positively reassure you that one of the main reasons this place is growing at a healthy rate is directly related to the welcome acceptance of diversity in many forms throughout the community. Rest assured that your life is likely to be every bit as peaceful in Greenville as it has been in Augusta - and I would not be even slightly surprised to hear that you have found this area to be much better. Your last sentence is good advise to follow and shows your level of confidence that everything will be just fine in the end.
Thank you so much! I feel so good to have received these type of respones! I am excited and nervous at the same time, but I know all is well!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I spent two months living in Augusta before I actually settled in Greenville,(work related) I can say I don't think you'll have any problems
I take that in a good way, yeah Augusta is not that great which is why I am excited to be leaving! My husband works really hard but usually all the "good ole boys" got the credit! i am so looking forward to a blessed change.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaklin View Post
I am white. I am from the west coast and grew up in a racist family which actually served to make me afraid of how non-whites would view ME. Like, do they think I'm trash because my family is this way? I have never been racist but I have always been scared to interact other races because of this.

Anyway, I just visited Greenville for the first time and made up my mind not to let anything bother me. I wanted to talk to everyone. Well, turns out that all of my neighbors are black, and they were some of the nicest people ever! They welcomed me with open arms and I loved talking to all of them. I found that to be true with everyone I encountered in Greenville regardless of race. People seem to be very friendly and accepting of each other.

I guess my situation is kind of backwards but I thought I'd throw in my two cents to let you know that I had a great experience as a newcomer to Greenville and that I don't think you should be concerned about racism.
Thanks I appreciate your view! I am really glad to hear you had a great experience.By the way what area did you move to? If you don't mind me asking? We are coming up on Friday to look at some places his new employer found for us so I will be seeing a lot more of the city! I am looking forward to it! i hope we can find somewhere nice to stay!!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 PM

169 posts, read 570,675 times
The little house we found for our son is in a "mixed neighborhood" We are white, the people that we have met there so far, have mostly been black, and they have been SO very nice to us. They are excited about what we are doing and have told us about the area, and have just been so very friendly. The atmosphere here is so laid back. I believe that you all will be just fine. And yes, God is Good.... all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area