Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 PM

8 posts, read 16,184 times

Advertisements

I am a single young professional looking to evacuate the rat race that is NYC, I am curious as to whether or not anyone would recommend Greenville over my other two choices, Nashville, TN or Asheville, NC?

Also, is it particularly difficult trying to find a job in the area? Is it better to stay put until I can get an offer & then move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 PM

370 posts, read 944,827 times
Oh yes, depending on what you do for a living, I would definitely recommend lining up a job before you move down. That would make the moving process a lot easier, IMO. Have you ever been to Greenville for a visit?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 AM

6,893 posts, read 22,460,639 times
Depends on what your credentials and field is.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 PM

835 posts, read 2,299,572 times
If you're liberal, I'd go to Asheville.

Coming from NYC, I would think you'd be bored no matter where you go! lol.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 315,083 times
Just because somebody is from NYC doesn't mean they want to party every night until 3 AM. The poster wanted to LEAVE the rat race.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,523 times
I would suggest TN, then NC, then SC. The greenville area isn't much of anything. What's your job field? It would definitely be better to have a job lined up.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM

548 posts, read 1,975,946 times
And there's more to do in Asheville??? Really now. While Nashville might be more happening, Greenville has a lot to do. It has good shopping, dining, and arts and to top it off it's an easier shot than Nashville to the beaches and a shorter distance than Asheville. That said, I'd visit each area (easy to do on a weeks vacation), get a feel for 1st choice, 2nd choice and 3rd choice then send out resume's before even considering moving. Unemployment is up (though the Greenville market is still good) so it's always best to have a job first. Even if unemployment was down, I'd never move before lining up a job. Renting, buying is far easier when you have a job then when unemployed.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 AM

5,477 posts, read 8,274,226 times
Greenville boring? Do you have brain damage? I can party in Greenville until 6am and have done it. Also, not many downtowns can touch the nightlife that Greenville offers. Some posters are uninformed and one just doesn't want you to move here, because he/she doesn't like change. They're in the wrong city for that. I've been to Asheville, Greenville is more cosmopolitan and bigger.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:06 PM

617 posts, read 2,567,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korea View Post
I would suggest TN, then NC, then SC. The greenville area isn't much of anything. What's your job field? It would definitely be better to have a job lined up.
Ummm, thanks a lot. Greenville isn't much of anything? When's the last time you were here, or have you even been here at all?

Old 06-21-2008, 02:51 PM

835 posts, read 2,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Greenville boring? Do you have brain damage? I can party in Greenville until 6am and have done it. Also, not many downtowns can touch the nightlife that Greenville offers. Some posters are uninformed and one just doesn't want you to move here, because he/she doesn't like change. They're in the wrong city for that. I've been to Asheville, Greenville is more cosmopolitan and bigger.
I know you're referring to me. I visited New York and was saying that there is a lot more stuff to do there. That's not an insult to Greenville. It's just true. I've kind of always wondered how New Yorkers have any fun when visiting anywhere else. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area