Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:06 PM

169 posts, read 568,747 times

Advertisements

[quote=getawayfrompa;4194733]We looked at 6 homes in Neely farms, some taken care of some not. I am at a loss though, I can seem to find homes with basements. We have a full basement and an attic full of 15 years of "stuff" where do I begin to put it all???

Oh yes, we have been married for 25 years and lived in the same house for 18 years! I know what you are talking about! We didn't have an attic there, but a basement, garage and shed filled with "stuff" We started thinking about moving in June, when he was contacted about a possible job offer and just started pitching and packing. We did not have a yard sale, we were busy with our middle son's wedding. It was crazy to say the least. Alot went with middle son, alot to Salvation Army and alot just to the curb.... Here we have an attic stuffed and the garage is a disaster area! We miss our basement.... It is very hard to find a home here with one....
So I think Christopher has a good point "yard sale" Just tell the kids what they sell is $$$ in their pocket, and they will be able to part with some treasures better. You may have to tell yourself the same thing! Maybe rent a storage facility for a bit until you can part with some things....There's a few right on Fairview Road.....Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:13 PM

548 posts, read 1,974,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getawayfrompa View Post
We looked at 6 homes in Neely farms, some taken care of some not. I am at a loss though, I can seem to find homes with basements. We have a full basement and an attic full of 15 years of "stuff" where do I begin to put it all???

I left out a 0 in my percentage, it's less than 10% more accurately slightly over 5% on the market. You'll have a tough time finding basements in subdivisions though some will have walk out's if the lot allows. There are 4 or 5 in my subdivision with this. Where do you put your stuff? You get rid of it before you move. Moving is a great declutterer especially if you have to pay a moving company. I understand the angst though as we moved 17 years ago from Boston where we had a full basement plus a two car detached garage with storage space above. We just purged and it was great.

You'll find in house hunting you'll see people who don't park in their garages. Guess where their "stuff" is. Christmas and Holiday "stuff" will fit in your attic and most houses have pull down stairs to access. Some have eves. We have two large eves in the bonus room where I keep my holiday "stuff".

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM

37 posts, read 90,470 times
[quote=WAZEAZ;4195150]
Quote:
Originally Posted by getawayfrompa View Post
We looked at 6 homes in Neely farms, some taken care of some not. I am at a loss though, I can seem to find homes with basements. We have a full basement and an attic full of 15 years of "stuff" where do I begin to put it all???

Oh yes, we have been married for 25 years and lived in the same house for 18 years! I know what you are talking about! We didn't have an attic there, but a basement, garage and shed filled with "stuff" We started thinking about moving in June, when he was contacted about a possible job offer and just started pitching and packing. We did not have a yard sale, we were busy with our middle son's wedding. It was crazy to say the least. Alot went with middle son, alot to Salvation Army and alot just to the curb.... Here we have an attic stuffed and the garage is a disaster area! We miss our basement.... It is very hard to find a home here with one....
So I think Christopher has a good point "yard sale" Just tell the kids what they sell is $$$ in their pocket, and they will be able to part with some treasures better. You may have to tell yourself the same thing! Maybe rent a storage facility for a bit until you can part with some things....There's a few right on Fairview Road.....Good Luck
We are getting ready for a yard sale --- little does my husband know, its going to be "the mother of all yard sales". I call my husband Fred Sanford, so that should explain my concern....I will admit he's a neat and tidy Fred, but none the less, he's still a pack rat..

I actually contacted a builder today -- they estimated $30,000 - $40,000 for a basement on a home of 2000 sq. ft. - I was told, it could cost up to $60,000 for a 3000 sq ft home.....I almost fell out of my chair. So, needless to say, Im back online, search the mls listing.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,837,558 times
Talking Speaking of stuff

I have to chime in here. When I moved to FL my car was completely stuffed with all of my worldly possessions. I literally took off with whatever I could fit in a Honda Accord and sold or gave away everything else. Of course that made me a target for thieves, so I wanted to find a temporary home for my "stuff" (sounds like a George Carlin routine) I paid $11 a month for a small closet until I got settled. I met several people who stored tons of stuff, paying as much as $100 a month for storage space, and I could never understand it. They'd come by from time to time and visit their stuff, go through it, and sometimes take an item home, but just couldn't part with it. One woman told me she had been renting there for years.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Greenville, but I couldn't help it!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 PM

75 posts, read 352,198 times
My aunt and uncle used to live in neely farms and from what i remember its a really nice neighborhood. Lol i remember distinctly it being the first place i ever saw a neighborhood crime poster, which i suppose is a good thing if your looking to move into the neighborhood. Ive only heard and seen good things from the area so my guess is that you picked a winner!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 PM

39 posts, read 214,634 times
Default LOVE Neely Farm !!!!!!!

We moved here from Ohio last October and also quickly narrowed down our subdivision choice to Neely Farm. We have now been here 9 months and never once regretted our decision !! Very kid friendly subdivision !! We have 3 young daughters and they are never at a loss for kids their age around or activities to do. The pool, the playground, go fishing in the subdivision pond, they quickly made friends, the swim team, and all of the activities the neighborhood plans from the easter egg hunt, to Santa in the subdivision, Halloween was packed with kids, etc.... etc.... I could go on and on. Really a great place to be. We have also been happy with their transition into the elementary school here. We love all of the trees, neighbors are friendly, most yards are kept up nicely. As for basements, not too many to be found. I think one house on the marke has a walk out, on the corner of Crested Owl and Worchester. A few of our neighbors have them. We were used to everyone having a basement in Ohio, so we too miss ours and had to get rid of alot of stuff or fill our garage. Hope this info. helps out. Good luck with your move. And I would not be too concerned with the number of homes on the market in Neely Farm...... only a few have been on the market for any length of time. Most sell within a few months. I just saw 3 or 4 sell last month. So things are still moving here. From what I hear, most have been for sale due to job moves.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 PM

672 posts, read 1,411,417 times
Our first house in IL didn't have a basement and our house here doesn't either. Garage space works, but I like to park my cars in my garage! I don't like basements....damp, cold, buggy etc etc. What kind of stuff that you hide away in the attic or basement is so important?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,513,084 times
Is AT&T DSL available in Neely Farms? It is one of the neighborhoods we are attracted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area