U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM

4,015 posts, read 7,659,689 times

Advertisements

How is the bus system in Greenville? Does it go to most employers? How late in the day does it run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM

642 posts, read 1,886,787 times
The bus system sucks here. But they are working on it ..

Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,127,758 times
the bus system is awful, period.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM

6,269 posts, read 18,850,956 times
Do not count on the bus system to get you anywhere in its present form. I'm sending you a DM with a link.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:15 PM

10,341 posts, read 20,602,909 times
We have a bus system? Since when? LOL.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
The bus system is in Greenville is poor. If your trying to depend on it for getting to and from your job . . . DON'T! The bus's here run only on the hour and they stop running around 6:00pm. If I need a transfer to get home in the evening, I better plan on getting on that bus about 4:45pm. The Bus has a shorter schedule on Saturday and DOES NOT run on Sunday at all. For me, this means I can't get to church on Sunday. Often, the bus arrives early and I miss it or more than likely, late. Leaving me to stand in the cold or the heat. Most drivers are friendly. Although, I was sitting on a bench at the bus stop. The driver was about to go right on by. A man sitting on the bench with me jumped up, ran after the bus. Waved the bus down. The driver said that we should have been on our feet, waiving him down. Greenville Link doesn't care about it's riders. Poor service. Does not meet the needs of the people of Greenville and doesn't care.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,107,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret58 View Post
Greenville Link doesn't care about it's riders. Poor service. Does not meet the needs of the people of Greenville and doesn't care.
They are actively trying to improve the system, but it's a chicken and egg problem. There have to be enough riders to justify schedule improvements. The next improvement is likely to be taking the most popular routes to 1/2 hour intervals - this will attract more riders also. It's hard to tell when it will happen, but they've been examining how to do this for the last year.

They're in the process of adding an electronic route tracking system - I would hope this would include being able to send an SMS to get back how many minutes until the next bus arrives.

Between the car-is-priority culture of this area, and the impracticality of dedicating express bus lanes for low frequency use, buses will be late occasionally during rush hour.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,898,729 times
Its too bad the transit is so poor in Greenville. They have a popular downtown and several localized high demand areas and job centers. If they would connect these areas, run often enough, and enough hours they woukd be ok. Yet it seems too many people would like to sit in traffic, especially where they know its bad or speed and aggresively drive. Even worse, too many think its a liberal idea to try and force them out of their vehicles (though no one has suggested that, and I thought more options led to more freedom) or to subsidize the poor (even though everyone pays a fare, its meant to help all classes of people, and everyone pays for roads even if you dont use them)

Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,379,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Its too bad the transit is so poor in Greenville. They have a popular downtown and several localized high demand areas and job centers. If they would connect these areas, run often enough, and enough hours they woukd be ok. Yet it seems too many people would like to sit in traffic, especially where they know its bad or speed and aggresively drive. Even worse, too many think its a liberal idea to try and force them out of their vehicles (though no one has suggested that, and I thought more options led to more freedom) or to subsidize the poor (even though everyone pays a fare, its meant to help all classes of people, and everyone pays for roads even if you dont use them)
At this time there aren't people lining up to ride the bus. It wouldn't make sense to add more if what we have isn't full. Right? Most southern cities are car centric. Greenville is no different. When the time comes and enough people really want this it'll change.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,898,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
At this time there aren't people lining up to ride the bus. It wouldn't make sense to add more if what we have isn't full. Right? Most southern cities are car centric. Greenville is no different. When the time comes and enough people really want this it'll change.
More people would be lining up to use it if they could see it as an alternative. Good transit doesnt come from good planning, it is a prerequisite to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area