Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 AM

835 posts, read 2,296,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherinsc26 View Post
But you may run in too stares im sure you will have someone say something too you. There is still old fashion people in this world. And im sure you have had to deal with them maybe where you are from now. Unless you do live in a all gay area.
i.e.- When seeing Harold and Kumar 2 a few months ago(yeah I'm classy lol) two gay guys kissed and the audience was either just saying gross or laughing and saying gross.

The closest thng I've really heard to acceptance of gay people in school is "Well I got gay friends but I still think it's gross and they're going to hell.hahaha".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 AM

642 posts, read 2,081,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I usually like your posts but what are you trying to say about "backwoods" people? Are all country folks low life?

And no, I don't consider myself "country".
That is not what I said. That is what you got out of it but that is not what I said.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 AM

642 posts, read 2,081,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
i.e.- When seeing Harold and Kumar 2 a few months ago(yeah I'm classy lol) two gay guys kissed and the audience was either just saying gross or laughing and saying gross.

The closest thng I've really heard to acceptance of gay people in school is "Well I got gay friends but I still think it's gross and they're going to hell.hahaha".
Well that is your feelings about it. And many others as well sadly. But thankfully not everyone.

But I never said she would have a easy time here. Most gay people have to put up with alot of crap anywhere. So most likely she is strong enough to handle what comes her way.

And no not all country folks are backwood people I never said that. I just ment as in backwood people that still live in the mind set of the 1800. And it really had nothing to do with being from the country. I have lived in the country most of my life.

But im not going to change the subject about me and you. This thread was for her question. So I have answerd it and gave my 2 cents.

And just as I don't agree with all your views im happy you don't agree with all mine. Too each there own..

Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,487,030 times
Can we please get back to answering the question of the OP? I believe she wanted to know if Greenville has any lesbian-friendly neighborhoods. I could name about a dozen in Columbia, but I don't know Greenville well enough to make a recommendation.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:58 AM

33 posts, read 117,236 times
Welcome to Greenville. I work and am friends with quite a few lesbians. They mostly live downtown or in the North Main area. There seems to be a good community here- they have a better social life than I! You won't get hassled, but I do notice that at work people keep their private lives private. In the nosey South that's probably a good idea til you are settled.
I imagine if you search online for gay friendly in Greenville, you'll find more info.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,253,504 times
guestposter, the things you say on here make you seem backwoods. There are indeed gay people downtown. I see some everytime I go down there. If you don't you are blind or don't go downtown.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjess213 View Post
Hi!

I am Jessica and my girlfriend and I are planning to move to Greenville, and wanted to ask for advice on neighborhoods.

In all of my research, I've found so much conflicting information regarding whether or not Greenville has lesbian friendly neighborhoods.

We are looking for in the city living, in perhaps a loft or industrial type building. We are very interested in art, music and trendy areas. We also have a small dog who we love to take for walks, and are avid cyclers and are very helath concious. Anything you could provide as far as what areas to check out would be so helpful and appreciated!

Thank you!

Jessica and Nicole
Hi Jessica,
Obviously Asheville is very gay and lesbian friendly....the entire city. It's one of the most gay/lesbian cities in the South.

My partner and I love Greenville and have met so many great people here. The city does have a large core of gay/lesbian friendly.

As for neighborhoods in Greenville that will be gay friendly, check out any of the lofts or apartments immediately downtown. After that, most of the gay friendly areas are immediately adjacent to downtown....West End, North Main, Hampton Pinckney, Washington Street, and Overbrook.

Several merchants on Main Street display rainbow flags on their windows. Laurens Road has a couple of gay gift stores (Out of Bounds).

While Greenville is definitely not as gay as Asheville, the people here are absolutely lovely. My partner and I have lived in Dallas, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Boston and DC. We like Greenville the best of anyplace we have lived. We've met a huge group of gay friends. IM me when you get to town and we would be happy to show you around.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM

13 posts, read 107,876 times
Thank you all for the feedback. Yes, we "think" we are interested in Greenville, but could easily change that, based on what we learn and what we experience upon visiting. Right now, we are open to any city in NC/SC that offers what we are looking for:
Friendly, artsy, urban scene with plenty of cool shops, parks and wlaking distance to it all.

So, we're open to Columbia, Charlotte, Durham, Carrboro, Asheville, Charleston. Or any others, but these are the most appealing at first glance, and this is why we are asking for your help here. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Can we please get back to answering the question of the OP? I believe she wanted to know if Greenville has any lesbian-friendly neighborhoods. I could name about a dozen in Columbia, but I don't know Greenville well enough to make a recommendation.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherinsc26 View Post
Well that is your feelings about it. And many others as well sadly. But thankfully not everyone.

But I never said she would have a easy time here. Most gay people have to put up with alot of crap anywhere. So most likely she is strong enough to handle what comes her way.

And no not all country folks are backwood people I never said that. I just ment as in backwood people that still live in the mind set of the 1800. And it really had nothing to do with being from the country. I have lived in the country most of my life.

But im not going to change the subject about me and you. This thread was for her question. So I have answerd it and gave my 2 cents.

And just as I don't agree with all your views im happy you don't agree with all mine. Too each there own..
Who said that was my feelings about it?I was just telling what I had seen.

No harm done.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
guestposter, the things you say on here make you seem backwoods. There are indeed gay people downtown. I see some everytime I go down there. If you don't you are blind or don't go downtown.
I don't go downtown that often, you're right. I have just never seen any gay people there when I have been.

I don't think the things I say on here are backwoods. But maybe since Greenville is getting bigger we're starting to get "big city people" who think they're better than everyone else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area