Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Greenville: mild winters, strong economy, construction opportunities, racial diversity

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM

183 posts, read 751,129 times

Advertisements

I'm finding myself at that point in my relocation process where I'm ready to make my 100% decision on Greenville. We have been lucky enough to sell our home and will be moving during the first week of August (Yeah!) I'm sure LOTS of you have been in this position. I'm ready to take that big deep breath and say that " Yes, we ARE moving to Greenville". I have gone over my list time and time again of the things we want from our new hometown. Greenville seems to fit the bill in everyway. I have visited and researched and researched..... so here goes. We are looking for.

A place with mild winters. I'm comparing Greenville's winter temps to the Raleigh area. Don't mind a little snow from time to time but the overall temps don't hover in the teens and 20's, 30's during the day.

A place with a relatively strong economy. Keeping in mind the relative state of the nation's economy right now, Greenville seems to be holding their own.

Good construction opportunities. Commercial construction seems to be going strong and I'm guessing that residential will rebound some within a year or two especially with the current campaigns aimed at Atlanta.

Good public schools. I know that S. Carolina in general has a reputation for poor schools but with so many of the local high schools rating in the top 5% in the country according to Newsweek, I'm enclouraged. I also like the idea of the Magnet schools. Any firsthand takes on the magnet program are appreciated.

Lots of family oriented things to do whether it's in downtown or at one of the many state parks. My kids love to fish so the many lakes down there are a big draw. Considering the price of gas these days and from now on, these things need to be relatively close. My boys are also involved in Scouts. Any Scout parents out there?

Cultural and racial diversity without alot of tension. We are currently in an area that is about 95% white. We are too but I don't want my kids growing up without the ability to be accepting and enriched.

We have zero'd in on the the part of the county outside of Greer around Lake Cunningham and Lake Robinson to find a house. We will be renting at first for at least a few years. I'm assuming the Blue Ridge High school area. Would love to find a 3-4 bedroom with basement on at least 2 acres for under $1000/mo. Love neighbors, just not right on top of me.

Just need a little reassurance that this is the right decision. BTW we are relocating from the Southwest Virginia area about an hour south of Roanoke and near Va Tech if that helps for comparison purposes. Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,496,501 times
Well... I just moved to Greer last week, so it's a bit early for me to have broad insights. However, I'm extremely pleased with what I seen and experienced so far.

This coming from a NC native who's never lived outside NC before, AND who spent a lot of years in economic development dissing SC (one of NC's biggest competitors). LOL

I grew up in Raleigh, but I prefer the Greenville area. Raleigh has gotten a bit too big for my tastes. Greenville offers everything I need and seems to be a liveable-size community.

You live in a beautiful part of VA, but I would think Greenville will offer a lot more opportunity for you and your family.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

625 posts, read 1,582,444 times
Hey mtcat, The picts you sent look great. I have been keeping an eye out for prospective builders. Also I know a man with a house for rent near Lake Robinson. I think it only has 2 beds but don't know for sure. It has a basement with a partial finished room in it. Fairly cheap. Maybe a temp if you should have to have it. Also he's a builder. Maybe some connections? I'll try to turn up the search temp a little for you guys

Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,693,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtncat View Post
I'm finding myself at that point in my relocation process where I'm ready to make my 100% decision on Greenville. We have been lucky enough to sell our home and will be moving during the first week of August (Yeah!) I'm sure LOTS of you have been in this position. I'm ready to take that big deep breath and say that " Yes, we ARE moving to Greenville". I have gone over my list time and time again of the things we want from our new hometown. Greenville seems to fit the bill in everyway. I have visited and researched and researched..... so here goes. We are looking for.

A place with mild winters. I'm comparing Greenville's winter temps to the Raleigh area. Don't mind a little snow from time to time but the overall temps don't hover in the teens and 20's, 30's during the day.

A place with a relatively strong economy. Keeping in mind the relative state of the nation's economy right now, Greenville seems to be holding their own.

Good construction opportunities. Commercial construction seems to be going strong and I'm guessing that residential will rebound some within a year or two especially with the current campaigns aimed at Atlanta.

Good public schools. I know that S. Carolina in general has a reputation for poor schools but with so many of the local high schools rating in the top 5% in the country according to Newsweek, I'm enclouraged. I also like the idea of the Magnet schools. Any firsthand takes on the magnet program are appreciated.

Lots of family oriented things to do whether it's in downtown or at one of the many state parks. My kids love to fish so the many lakes down there are a big draw. Considering the price of gas these days and from now on, these things need to be relatively close. My boys are also involved in Scouts. Any Scout parents out there?

Cultural and racial diversity without alot of tension. We are currently in an area that is about 95% white. We are too but I don't want my kids growing up without the ability to be accepting and enriched.

We have zero'd in on the the part of the county outside of Greer around Lake Cunningham and Lake Robinson to find a house. We will be renting at first for at least a few years. I'm assuming the Blue Ridge High school area. Would love to find a 3-4 bedroom with basement on at least 2 acres for under $1000/mo. Love neighbors, just not right on top of me.

Just need a little reassurance that this is the right decision. BTW we are relocating from the Southwest Virginia area about an hour south of Roanoke and near Va Tech if that helps for comparison purposes. Thanks in advance for any input!
I live right near where your looking, we moved here a year and a half ago. Just curious, why rent for a few years when you can have a mortgage for that price? No need to throw your money away. My development, Ridgecreek Estates has brand new homes for sale with minimum 1/2 acre and the prices range from $192k-$279k. It's a smaller development and the neighbors are awesome. Pm me if you have any other ?'s. Sonrise

Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM

370 posts, read 944,894 times
My wife live about 10 minutes from Lake Robinson and it is a very beautiful area. We moved here from Western MA 3 years ago and love it. Looking over your list, I agree that Greenville fits all your requirements nicely and think you will be very happy with your decision to move here. It does get colder in the winter than I'd like, but it seldom gets any colder than the 40's during the day, and most days will hover near 50. Still MUCH better than the ridiculous winters we had to endure up North! I know a great guy from my kids softball team who builds homes near Lake Robinson if you are interested. He recently told me he has a few homes already built and on the market now. His name is Chris and here's his website:
Home
Hope this helps!

Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks for your help Billy. I'd be interested in the house. Let me know what you find out!

Thanks also aetcas, Sonrise and roadpony. As far as a mortgage, we need to do a little repair first before we take one on. The area we are in has been taking an economic nosedive long before gas jumped or the mortgage crisis became front page news. Thanks for your help on areas. and weather. I'm really excited about the move now. Actually a big relief now having made the final decision!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,582,444 times
Default Lightening up the crunch

[quote=vamtncat;4314897]Thanks for your help Billy. I'd be interested in the house. Let me know what you find out!

Rodger dodger on that. I'll DM you some info. I'll be talking to the man's son tomorrow and I'll get the contact info.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 PM

606 posts, read 1,396,490 times
I think that you will love it here. We are native North Carolinians, and have been in Simpsonville for a little over a year and a half. I grew up a little over an hour away from Raleigh in a city called Roanoke Rapids in Halifax County. I lived in WIlmington NC for 10 years, in Charlotte for 2 years, and Gaston County outside of Charlotte for about 5 years.
The Raleigh area is a big sprawling mess.
That said, I think I am qualified to say that you made the right decision. This is a wonderful place to raise children. The scouts seem really active here. My kids aren't quite old enough yet.
There are lakes close by enough to enjoy. We aren't lake people, but I know that if we wanted to be, it wouldn't be too big of a problem here.
There seems to be a bit of racial and cultural diversity in the area, but I am not well-versed in that aspect of the life here.
Good luck to you!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks Kimmie. We lived just north of Raleigh in Wake Forest for about 12 years before it popped up and became the new Cary. It WAS so nice. I looked at Raleigh again in our relocation options but like you said it is a big sprawling mess. We really love living in the country but where we are now is sooo far out in the sticks that personally I feel so isolated. The areas around the lakes seem to fit our bill by being "in the country" but still relatively close to town. Right now it's a 45 minute drive to Wal-Mart! It's that far to get to anything that's going on! I'm looking forward to working at least part-time. Human contact is a wonderful thing! I'm so excited now!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:56 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,778,550 times
I think you'll be very happy with your choice of location. I live in Greer (very close to East Side of Greenville) but visit Lake Robinson frequently to recharge my batteries and feel like I've taken a mini vacation in the country. Living within an easy range of countryside, mountains and downtown Greenville and only a few hours from the ocean is, in my opinion, sheer heaven at this stage of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area