U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 AM

187 posts, read 402,341 times
Default Anderson, SC retirement questions

I'll be retiring in a year or so & seriously considering Anderson. I've looked in the general Greenville area a year or so ago and liked it but feel I might be able to get a better buy in a house in the Anderson area.

I love older bungalow homes & would like to fix one up to live in, not flip. I think the area was College Heights??? Does anyone have any info re the safety of this part of town?

I, naturally need to make a trip there but would like to be able to at least check out which areas would be safe for a soon-to-be single female retiree & look at the MLS listings for the area & avoid bad neighborhoods in my google searches.

Any pros & cons or just your general opinions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by Littleme; 07-07-2008 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: Type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 PM

139 posts, read 354,357 times
We checked out Greenville too & loved it. BUT were able to buy more house for the money in Anderson so we did. Since our kids are grown schools weren't an issue so I can't tell you much about that. We've been in Anderson for a year and it's been great. We shoot up to Greenville when we want (a few times a month) and don't have to deal with the traffic unless we want to make the trip. The rest of the time we stay busy here. Hubby golfs and it is more reasonable than anywhere else we've live. We both are active with two of the local live theatres (there are 4 in Anderson and others in neighboring towns). Anderson has about anything you need and is growing. Several new stores have opened just in the year we've been here.
College Heights is one area and Old North Anderson west of Main St is another that would have your type of house. Depending on what your planning on spending makes a big difference on where to look. I don't know where your coming from but we came from up North (yep, we're D--- Yankee's) and around here they don't seem to have the zoning that we had there. The atmosphere of the neighborhoods can change dramatically from one street to the next so you really need to see them for yourself. You can email me directly if I can help with anything more.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Oh, thanks so much. I want to spend as little as possible in order to keep as much in the bank as I can & since most people don't want a 2 bedroom place I think I can find what I want. I just don't want a crackhouse next door. The internet's a blessing but it's still hard to tell from Google everything you want to know.

I do want a neighborhood feel with sidewalks, etc. What's put me off most new subdivision is the lack of trees & naturally they're usually loaded with younger couples with lots of kids. Not a thing wrong with that but I don't want to be the only one in my age group so a mix of ages appeals to me more.

With your input I will continue to concentrate on this area. I was surprised at the number of hotels there as well. Libraries & good grocery stores are other things high on my list. How are the cable companies & do you know what the electric rates are? Mine are horrendous!

Thanks again! I might take you up on your offer to email later on.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 AM

59 posts, read 174,964 times
We've been in Anderson just over a year & while we live outside the city limits one couldn't find a better place to live whatever ones lifestyle is . We go many places from here while being here we have access to whatever without the traffic & congestion that most places have & some of the friendliest people in the world & in general a lower overall cost of living that can't be beat , whether one is working or retired there is something to meet everyones life style ..

Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM

152 posts, read 356,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleme View Post
I'll be retiring in a year or so & seriously considering Anderson. I've looked in the general Greenville area a year or so ago and liked it but feel I might be able to get a better buy in a house in the Anderson area.

I love older bungalow homes & would like to fix one up to live in, not flip. I think the area was College Heights??? Does anyone have any info re the safety of this part of town?

I, naturally need to make a trip there but would like to be able to at least check out which areas would be safe for a soon-to-be single female retiree & look at the MLS listings for the area & avoid bad neighborhoods in my google searches.

Any pros & cons or just your general opinions would be most welcome. Thanks!
My wife and I are planing to retire Spring 09 and will be purchasing a home in Anderson. Not sure exactly where but probably in an area served by Hanna High School. Not that we have children of school age but because of resale value. We have visited Anderson several times and like the feeling of the city. Only one public library but near institutions of higher learning since I would like to take some college courses.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:02 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,273,438 times
My wife and I moved to Anderson from Greenville about 3 years ago. We like it, we live right near T.L. Hanna.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 PM

1,294 posts, read 4,622,735 times
maybe you should consider the streets across from Anderson College (University). there are historic houses that are just beautiful. lots of trees and definintely a community feel. a lot of professors live there and it's safe. a hs teacher of mine lives in a house and she fixed it up and now it's absolutely beautiful. good luck and glad you're considering anderson. it's great!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread but thanks to all of you for the information. Anderson is looking better & better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area