Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,533,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks now; the new plates/tags are hideous. First of all, what's up with the desert landscape colors? It looks like the Arizona plates of a few years ago. We went from having some of the nicest plates in the country, with an awesome slogan to a really bland nondescript one that says travel2sc on it. UGH!!!

http://atkinsfamily.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/newscplate.png (broken link)
I'm not sure I'd call it ugly, but yeah, it reminds me as well of Arizona. I just got mine 2 weeks ago. All my neighbors (I live in a townhouse) were out side looking at it....pretty much they don't like it. I guess it's because well...it's a change.

I can remember though getting my first SC plate. I told the lady I always wanted a baby blue plate, especially with a palm tree on it. I loved those plates...and right after that I went and bought a little decal for my car with the tree and the moon on it. I love SC. I love it to death, even though our plate looks like it is from the Southwest instead of the Southeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,472,848 times
did i mention i don't like it? haha!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 54,021 times
I personally like them and I think the link to travel2sc.com is a great addition - it's a great website, check it out!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 PM

292 posts, read 823,264 times
I can't believe everyone in this upstate forum missed when they were voting for these flags....it was only three choices and none of them were "mind-blowing".http://www.wyff4.com/2007/0608/13467110.jpg (broken link)

I actually voted for the first one....but i knew it was no way in the world that the middle one would win...lol

Now let me clear something up about the current flag....it wasn't a Clemson graduate that designed the plate....it was actually a Eastern Kentucky grad who lives in Mount Pleasant, SC that submitted the design....so we can kill the "conspiracy" talk...lol

Next.....in 2002 they passed a law saying that SC license plate design will be changed every 6 years...so this new design will only be around to 2014. Eventhough it can be seen as a waste of money to change the plates so often...i actually like that we are gong to be doing so...I just hope the next time more people will be aware of the voting and 102k votes won't be enough to decide what plates nearly 3million people will have on their cars for just over half a decade.....

At first i was a little on the fence about the plate...but after riding to Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston and Columbia over the last week and seeing these new tags mixed in with the old tags...i have actually fallin for the new ones. The old plates are actually pretty difficult to see at night...the green Palmetto looks like a broccoli branch. I was noticing this very closely are i drove home only a few hours ago. I could clearly see what the design of the new plate at night and during the day. I've had people from Canada, New York, California, and Virginia all commend the new plates.

Bottom line is...look at your choices...and tell me which tag would have really been the worst.....and start designing your plate for the 2014 selection...that way you will have a choice you like....you got 5 yrs..... get on the ball....

Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,684,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
I can't believe everyone in this upstate forum missed when they were voting for these flags....it was only three choices and none of them were "mind-blowing".http://www.wyff4.com/2007/0608/13467110.jpg (broken link)

I actually voted for the first one....but i knew it was no way in the world that the middle one would win...lol

Now let me clear something up about the current flag....it wasn't a Clemson graduate that designed the plate....it was actually a Eastern Kentucky grad who lives in Mount Pleasant, SC that submitted the design....so we can kill the "conspiracy" talk...lol

Next.....in 2002 they passed a law saying that SC license plate design will be changed every 6 years...so this new design will only be around to 2014. Eventhough it can be seen as a waste of money to change the plates so often...i actually like that we are gong to be doing so...I just hope the next time more people will be aware of the voting and 102k votes won't be enough to decide what plates nearly 3million people will have on their cars for just over half a decade.....

At first i was a little on the fence about the plate...but after riding to Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston and Columbia over the last week and seeing these new tags mixed in with the old tags...i have actually fallin for the new ones. The old plates are actually pretty difficult to see at night...the green Palmetto looks like a broccoli branch. I was noticing this very closely are i drove home only a few hours ago. I could clearly see what the design of the new plate at night and during the day. I've had people from Canada, New York, California, and Virginia all commend the new plates.

Bottom line is...look at your choices...and tell me which tag would have really been the worst.....and start designing your plate for the 2014 selection...that way you will have a choice you like....you got 5 yrs..... get on the ball....
I did see this poll but didn't vote, all choices were hideous. The finalists look like an art project that a 3rd grader did. Desert colors, no noticeable reference to the upstate and an advertisement as our motto. Blech.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,861,302 times
I really dig the wren...a lot. Just goes to show us that 3 million folks will have about 3 million different opinions about what is cool. Even without a cool plate, SC is the best! I love it here.....from the beautiful mountains to sea.....we've got it all, folks.
We are lucky people!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM

69 posts, read 274,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I did see this poll but didn't vote, all choices were hideous. The finalists look like an art project that a 3rd grader did. Desert colors, no noticeable reference to the upstate and an advertisement as our motto. Blech.
I think the middle one is supposed to be "the mountains to the sea" but it's still an ugly plate.

I DID vote and I voted for the one that we got. It was the best of the three but for the record, it DID NOT have a web address on it when we voted!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM

292 posts, read 823,264 times
bhjp...

from what i understand....no matter what plate won that website was gonna be on the plate. That was something they planned on regardless. They liked how Florida, Pennslyvannia and etc had websites on their cars. It's not a bad idea...we have a lot of people that visit this state and leave impressed. But we have just as many more that only pass thru and if they are crusing and see that website...they may go on it just to check it out. That "travel2sc.com" website is a pretty good site that will allow people to search the state with realitive ease and possible learn something. The site actually is fair in its description of each area....it even states "award winning downtown Greenville" in it's section a good romantic places to take a date.

This is just a good and cheap way to get 6yrs of state advertisement....they will have about 3mil mini billboards riding around with many of those traveling to other states and being seen by others. This can be a good way to boost tourism to the other parts of SC besides the coast.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,291,100 times
I voted for the first option, believing that it was simple and yet represented SC well enough.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,472,848 times
they aren't good options and since me along with the other 2.9 million of us never got the memo to vote, the publicity must not have been very good either. oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area