Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,377,694 times

Advertisements

Why can't more places in America build these nice trails also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 AM

745 posts, read 2,223,763 times
Some places do, but not enough. There is a similar trail across the street from our house here in FL that stretches some 47 miles. It is very well kept, and many people use it. It's one of the few things our county has done that excite me. Hopefully the trail in Greenville will be popular- it's a great benefit.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 AM

9,487 posts, read 16,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
Some places do, but not enough. There is a similar trail across the street from our house here in FL that stretches some 47 miles. It is very well kept, and many people use it. It's one of the few things our county has done that excite me. Hopefully the trail in Greenville will be popular- it's a great benefit.
Is it the Pinellas Trail? If so I have seen it, nice trail and quite a few people using it. I like the trail across Tampa Bay also the old Gandy Bridge I think it is. Yes I hope the trails in Greenville will be very successful. I guess the city must feel there is a market for them or they wouldn't build them.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:20 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Why can't more places in America build these nice trails also?
Well, some are. We have a very large mature trail system in CT. Some of it is part of the "Rails to trails" movement and some of it is part of our state park system.

ConnDOT: Index to Trails in Connecticut by Town

Glad to see Greenville decided to get with the program.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,286,804 times
This is not the Connecticut forum. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more trails in the Usptate of South Carolina than in the entire state of CT though. Additionally, Greenville was way ahead of the pack in beginning its downtown revitalization back in the late 1970s. I am very glad to see so many other cities getting with the program these days. Many of them are visiting Greenville to learn how it can be done.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
This is not the Connecticut forum. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more trails in the Usptate of South Carolina than in the entire state of CT though. Additionally, Greenville was way ahead of the pack in downtown revitalization back in the late 1970s. I am very glad to see so many other cities getting with the program these days. Many of them are visiting Greenville to learn how it can be done.
I know it's not the CT forum, but CT would be one of the "other places" mentioned. We ARE doing it and HAVE been doing it. Also, I was speaking of urban and suburban trails.

Finish your trail first, then talk. Right now it's not even completed.

We are a small state, only 50 high by about 100 miles wide so it wouldn't surprise me if you had more mileage of trails period...but I'm sure if you compared the "upstate" to the same land area including CT/MA/VT/NH it wouldn't be close...then if you include the 1000's of miles of ATV and Snowmobile trails, forget it.

We have one of the best state park systems in the nation.

http://u10videos.com/DEP/Parks/CTPar...ks/CTParks.smi

Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,286,804 times
A good portion of the trail system in the city has been complete for years and is heavily utilized daily. That is just one of the reasons Greenville is ranked the best city in the state by Prevention Magazine. There are more parks per capita in Greenville than any other city in the state.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
A good portion of the trail system in the city has been complete for years and is heavily utilized daily. That is just one of the reasons Greenville is ranked the best city in the state by Prevention Magazine. There are more parks per capita in Greenville than any other city in the state.
Keep going, you'll get there someday. Right now it's not done.

How many miles can you go from DT Greenville out? 5? 10? How about 15? When you have a continuous trail system that stretches for miles, you'll be in the ballpark.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,802,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, some are. We have a very large mature trail system in CT. Some of it is part of the "Rails to trails" movement and some of it is part of our state park system.

ConnDOT: Index to Trails in Connecticut by Town

Glad to see Greenville decided to get with the program.
Greenville has been with the program for years and years. This is an addition to Greenville's extensive trail/greenway system.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,735,396 times
Please stay on topic, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area