Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,653,561 times

Advertisements

Grand opening took place recently: 2,000 runners baptize Tram Trail | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News

Trail now open on northern leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:47 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Grand opening took place recently: 2,000 runners baptize Tram Trail | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News

Trail now open on northern leg.
Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to check the trail out.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 PM

250 posts, read 1,209,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Keep going, you'll get there someday. Right now it's not done.

How many miles can you go from DT Greenville out? 5? 10? How about 15? When you have a continuous trail system that stretches for miles, you'll be in the ballpark.
For those that would like to learn more about this trail system, here are the details (forgive me if they were posted earlier in this thread):

::Greenville Recreation District - Swamp Rabbit:: (http://www.gcrd.org/swamprabbit/index.html - broken link) (Note: The information on this site is in need of an update).

The Swamp Rabbit Trail is the backbone for the Greenville County Recreation District's planned network of trails throughout Greenville County. This backbone is currently under construction, but as it stands, the "finished" portion of the trail stretches from Downtown Greenville to Travelers Rest at a distance of about 13 miles. A Southern extension will expand the trail from Greenville on south to the Lake Conestee Nature Preserve, which will expand the backbone of the trail system to over 20 miles. From this backbone, spur trails along rights of ways and easements into various neighborhoods and areas of the county will extend outward.

Yes, it's young but when all is said and done, the network of trails in Greenville County should be quite vast.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,923,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
Yes, it's young but when all is said and done, the network of trails in Greenville County should be quite vast.
Thanks for the info, but just to be clear and in full disclosure...should be, might be, will be, means currently is NOT.

Correct?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:42 PM

5,519 posts, read 15,291,100 times
"Should be" and "might be" are relavant in a discussion about what "is" and what "will be." Anything currently under construction is obviously incomplete, therefore both speculative and practical reasoning are supported regarding the future of the project. RT even stated, "when all is said and done..." It doesn't take a genius to realize what that means.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,923,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
"Should be" and "might be" are relavant in a discussion about what "is" and what "will be." Anything currently under construction is obviously incomplete, therefore both speculative and practical reasoning are supported regarding the future of the project. RT even stated, "when all is said and done..." It doesn't take a genius to realize what that means.
I think the key word I responded to was "should be". Just like Greenville SHOULD be a great city once/if fully turned around. Speaking as if it already is, is misleading.

Capire?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:12 AM

5,519 posts, read 15,291,100 times
Greenville is a great city to many people of different backgrounds and cultures. No one is guaranteed the same feeling when they visit, although most people I've heard from do agree that it is a great city which is obviously improving. As with most growing cities in the South, change is constant. Greenville's phenomenal transformation from a ghost town into an attractive and booming economic center has been well documented for over a decade. The city has become a highly acclaimed role model for other U.S. cities of all sizes within the past decade alone. Of course this city and region have problems, like every other city and region does. Those problems have been mentioned plenty of times in various threads and in specific detailed documents which I have directly pointed to for in-depth research. Please examine RT's post above and enlighten us on how it is misleading. Only an illiterate and/or uneducated person might possibly come to such a conclusion from that post - especially after reading the information shared via the links.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM

250 posts, read 1,209,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Thanks for the info, but just to be clear and in full disclosure...should be, might be, will be, means currently is NOT.

Correct?
Parse words however you like; however, just three short years ago, the Swamp Rabbit Trail was merely a dream with an organized group of volunteers meeting regularly to clear brush/weeds/small trees from an old abandoned rail line. Today, it is 13+ miles of asphalt-paved reality. The smaller tie-in trails will be much easier to accomplish with the main trail now in place, especially considering the level of positive community interest and involvement that's in place.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 PM

9,493 posts, read 16,384,905 times
If I lived in Greenville I would be joining these volunteers working on these trails. I think trails like these should be required in communities throughout the USA. I hope people that live there know how lucky they are to have these trails. Its a way to get outside and get some exercise. There is much to much time spent in a car in so many places in this country. I am glad to see this community in the Southern USA is taking steps to get people out of their cars and moving about. These volunteers deserve alot of respect for all their efforts.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 18,594 times
Very nice. I live near Seattle and we have a very long trail running from Seattle to another city about 30 miles away I'm guessing? Anyway, its VERY well used, hopefully yours will be too. It looks pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area