Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,805,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Seriously, what state would wanna be known as "So Gay"? I mean c'mon now. There's such a thing as subtle and then there's "IN YO FACE". This silly campaign was definitely the later. By the way this topic was a long and controversial thread on p&c over a week ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...r-adverts.html
South Carolina doesn't want to be known as a gay state....it was simply an add to attract more gay tourist. "So" was used as you would use it in "so funny", "so crazy", "so fun", "so pretty", etc.....

If the state had any smarts, it would realize two gay men partnered up with no children have good incomes and the highest disposable income of any group (no children to pay for lets gay men spend their money a bit more freely). Gay tourist are defintely a monetary benefit. The ad wasn't trying to turn SC into Fire Island or asking for men to come parade in buttless chaps. It was simply an add that I viewed as a smart business decision.....the backward state government however, didn't see the positives.....there goes more dollars lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 03:20 PM

38 posts, read 150,536 times
thats Southern Hospitality for ya'

Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM

835 posts, read 2,296,937 times
I find it odd how people complain about the "I Believe" plates and they agreed with this, which talks about our entire state.

Really, what state honestly wants to be painted as "so gay"? I personally don't have a problem with gay people but the state should be fair to them instead of lying to them like our state is really gay friendly.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:16 PM

502 posts, read 933,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
South Carolina doesn't want to be known as a gay state....it was simply an add to attract more gay tourist. "So" was used as you would use it in "so funny", "so crazy", "so fun", "so pretty", etc.....

If the state had any smarts, it would realize two gay men partnered up with no children have good incomes and the highest disposable income of any group (no children to pay for lets gay men spend their money a bit more freely). Gay tourist are defintely a monetary benefit. The ad wasn't trying to turn SC into Fire Island or asking for men to come parade in buttless chaps. It was simply an add that I viewed as a smart business decision.....the backward state government however, didn't see the positives.....there goes more dollars lost.

Its all about the money I guess. Have some backbone, stand for something. You do not have to be a genius to realize that Guy and Guy is not a family, and money does not make it any better.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Its all about the money I guess. Have some backbone, stand for something. You do not have to be a genius to realize that Guy and Guy is not a family, and money does not make it any better.
G-vegas, I agree with many of your post, but as one half of a "guy and guy" my partner and are a family. "Married" for 20 years this December 15th. I do have backbone and I do stand for many values.

My point about money is simply to say as regards tourism, the average gay couple has more disposble income to spend on travel and it is short sited of the state not to recoginze an additional form of income. Demographics pure and simple.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,653,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I find it odd how people complain about the "I Believe" plates and they agreed with this, which talks about our entire state.

Really, what state honestly wants to be painted as "so gay"? I personally don't have a problem with gay people but the state should be fair to them instead of lying to them like our state is really gay friendly.
I find it odd how people complain about the gay campaign and they agreed with the "I Believe" plates. Government and religion should never mix.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:21 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,071,650 times
Quote:
G-vegas, I agree with many of your post, but as one half of a "guy and guy" my partner and are a family. "Married" for 20 years this December 15th. I do have backbone and I do stand for many values.

My point about money is simply to say as regards tourism, the average gay couple has more disposble income to spend on travel and it is short sited of the state not to recoginze an additional form of income. Demographics pure and simple.
I think it is amazing that you have been together for 20 years. I have a colleague who is gay, has an adopted teenage son, and has been in a relationship for much longer than than most people. Family is not defined by gender, religion, race,...It is all about who you love and who accepts you.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I think it is amazing that you have been together for 20 years. I have a colleague who is gay, has an adopted teenage son, and has been in a relationship for much longer than than most people. Family is not defined by gender, religion, race,...It is all about who you love and who accepts you.
Thank you for that post. I agree with you about family.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,449,505 times
I look forward to the day when we stop talking about areas being "pro-homosexual" or "anti-homosexual." People should be accepted for being human beings, period. It should not matter whether someone is gay, or straight, or Southern, or Northern, or American, or whatever. Variety is the spice of life, and we learn more from those who are different than we are than from those who are the same.

As backwards as our state government is at times, I have hope that Greenville is moving in the right direction when it comes to being open-minded and welcoming to all.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 PM

502 posts, read 933,141 times
Quote:

Understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area