Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 AM

26 posts, read 112,616 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would be interested in what vegetables grow well in Greenville / Anderson, South Carolina from those gardeners who are doing it. What soil preparations were done? What challenges occur(ed)? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 02:29 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
I've grown tomatoes and peppers before and they did well. I'm not exactly sure why I grew them either. Maybe I was bored or something. Who knows.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:04 AM

69 posts, read 274,987 times
I'm not a gardener, but my whole family is. They are all country folk who have always had land and a garden. I know I've never been without tomatoes, squash, zucchini, okra, etc.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
I would think you need to work a lot of organic material into your soil - a lot of clay.

I have not lived in Greenville but in the South and the vegetables that have a tough time here are lettuce in the summer [it bolts] and cabbage, peas [once it gets too warm] --------- nice long growing season -- just about anything down here that does not need a lot of cooling degree days [e.g., certain fruits]

Old 07-13-2008, 02:29 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 315,972 times
Just to echo what has been said - summer (warmth loving) vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, okra, green beans, cucumbers, squash, etc usually do great. Spring ( cooler weather) vegetables like lettuce, beets, cabbage, green peas are trickier.

The biggest problem in the spring is that the cool weather vegetables fade fast when the hot weather arrives. There is a small window when they are at their peak. In the summer the problems usually come from long dry periods and insects spreading plant diseases.

Organic matter burns up fast in the soil so you need to keep adding it. Composting grass clippings and leaves works well because of the warm climate. There is a lot of red clay although the geology of the area is complex and there are some areas with sandy soils.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,398 times
We are in the first year of our garden here. Most of the soil needs lots of lime. The Clemson extension agent recommended 50 pounds per 100sf for the first year before even bothering with a soil test. We added leaf and mushroom compost, and will continue to do so every year.

Our succussful crops this year have been:

onions, spinach, beets, carrots, cantalope, okra, squash, watermelon.

We also have corn, pumpkin and eggplant in the ground but the verdict is out....although, the pumpkin plant is growing like mad!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 17,934 times
I agree with what the previous posters have said, I have grown all the above mentioned veggies and I have had to amend my soil. Since we are in a drought right now the biggest problem has been the lack of water. I have grown corn, pole beans, bunch beans, black eyed peas, crowder peas, tomatoes, cantelope, watermelon and pumpkins. They all have done well with late evening or early morning watering. Good luck!!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 22,425 times
How do you get a healthy earthworm population established in your Greenville area vegetable garden?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 16,067 times
Smile Gardeners

Thats great about vegetables, what about roses. I love roses, how well do they grow in Greenville SC.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 PM

288 posts, read 948,605 times
If you plant the right variety and prepare the soil, roses grow wonderfully here. My hybrid tea rose garden looks great. I can tell you what I've got in there if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area