Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:37 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,480,929 times

Advertisements

I've only been in Greer a couple of weeks. We went with Charter extended basic cable and high-speed Internet at our apt. (despite all the horror stories I read on this forum) because we already have Charter at our weekend home in the NC mtns. No problem with cable at all. I've noticed that Internet goes out once or twice a day for a few minutes at a time. I'm not using it for work, so it's only mildly annoying.

The intro rate for extended basic cable and Internet is $70/mo for the first six months. It goes to approx. $100 after that. However, we hope to be in a permanent home by then and will start over with the intro rate again ... if we decide to stay with Charter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 PM

39 posts, read 100,260 times
I live in Simpsonville and have Charter for Internet and cable. At&t is not available in my area. As long as you don't have to call customer service you should be ok. When my lease is up, I will be saying goodbye to Charter and Simpsonville.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I've only been in Greer a couple of weeks. We went with Charter extended basic cable and high-speed Internet at our apt. (despite all the horror stories I read on this forum) because we already have Charter at our weekend home in the NC mtns. No problem with cable at all. I've noticed that Internet goes out once or twice a day for a few minutes at a time. I'm not using it for work, so it's only mildly annoying.

The intro rate for extended basic cable and Internet is $70/mo for the first six months. It goes to approx. $100 after that. However, we hope to be in a permanent home by then and will start over with the intro rate again ... if we decide to stay with Charter.
Update... First a little background. My late father worked for an electric utility, so I have always taken complaints about utility companies (electric, gas, tel, cable, etc) with grain of salt.

However, my Internet has been going out more and more frequently and for longer periods of time... more than 24 hours in some cases. I found no one through Charter's 800 number who could do anything useful other than 1) confirm that an outage had already been reported and that they were working on it, or 2) provide a one-month credit on my next bill when I told them I wouldn't pay full price for a service I wasn't receiving.

I talked today with a local employee (hoorah!) who does installations (my apt complex actually gives out his card ) and he's going to have a tech person run a diagnostic check.

I may be taking a job soon where I'll be working from home. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new Internet provider... SOON.

Anyone looking for high speed Internet: ASK YOUR NEIGHBORS about reliability in your area before signing on with Charter.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:30 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times
I pay around $85 bucks a month for phone, internet, and expanded basic cable through Charter, I think thats an awesome price, and this is the second year in a row i've had it(I had to get transferred to the cancellation department to keep it though).
Their customer service may suck but i've never needed to use it so I'm sticking with charter for now.
Anyway nobody can beat that price and I never have trouble with any of my services, and I live in the middle of nowhere!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
..... so I'm sticking with charter for now.
Anyway nobody can beat that price and I never have trouble with any of my services, and I live in the middle of nowhere!
That may be why you don't have any problems. LOL Since I'm in between Greer and Greenville, it may be there are too many customers for their infrastructure in this particular area.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
Quote:
That may be why you don't have any problems. LOL Since I'm in between Greer and Greenville, it may be there are too many customers for their infrastructure in this particular area.
That is I believe the problem we have in my subdivision. I believe I said in this thread I was switching to AT&T DSL; let's have an update...

After switching my home phone to AT&T I later find out DSL is not available for my phone number or address. I've talked with several reps online and now I find out that DSL is maxed out in my neighborhood and that is why I cannot get it. I let them disconnect my phone for nonpayment and yesterday someone representing AT&T knocks on my door to sign me up for Uverse. According to him DSL is available here but since I'm on disconnect he can't tell me if I can get it or not. I'm not going through this anymore. I'll stick with Charter and never take AT&T service again. I'm now eligible for a Charter bundle if I get my home phone back. I haven't decided if I will do that or not yet.

For anyone on Charter HSI that has not already changed your DNS server; google opendns and do it. Charter's DNS servers bite.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM

288 posts, read 944,910 times
We live in Simpsonville and have Charter. Not by choice. There's nothing else available. Verizon is our phone carrier and they don't offer internet yet. Charter internet seems to get worse every day. I think they are above their capacity. I work from home so having reliable internet is important. Recently, it has been going out multiple (up to 6) times a day. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes hours. Phone customer service is HORRIBLE. Every time you call you must go through the whole rigormarole of shutting down the modem, rebooting your computer, etc., etc. Even though you tell them there are no activity lights on the modem, meaning the service is somehow screwed up. The other day the technician (definitely not in this country) had to get a manual to figure something out. Yes, these Mac computers are very rare and confusing. Arrrrrgh. I just got a new modem (from Charter) hoping it would solve the problem. Nope. My advice if you must have Charter. Take your complaints, questions, etc. to the Charter office. They are actually friendly and helpful there and have the authority to give you credits and such. Charter was good when I moved away in 2004. When we returned years later, it was the pits. For $50 per month, I'd like to have reliable service. This is the problem with a monopoly. Sorry for the rant. It's been a bad week in Charter land.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I let them disconnect my phone for nonpayment
For anyone else who thinks this is a good idea... DON'T. It will royally screw up your credit rating.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
Quote:
For anyone else who thinks this is a good idea... DON'T. It will royally screw up your credit rating.
I agree, roadpony, but it had to happen and at this point I can't stop it. If they had taken care of me like I thought they were going to I might have found a way to stop it; but they didn't.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM

9,728 posts, read 7,552,701 times
We scheduled Charter to set up our phone/cable/internet when we moved to Easley and had a nightmare with them not being able to install that day, not having a modem with them, coming 5 hours late, couldn't figure out the lines from the box and didn't have the right equipment, etc. Said they would send someone back so in the morning, we called to confirm and spent 3 hours on the phone, horrible customer service, different answers from everyone, they said it would be 10 days before the next person would come out. We work at home which is why we scheduled the install 3 weeks before we moved here - finally kept transferring up higher and higher up their food chain to a management person who bluntly said, "Look, you are not a priority to us - it will be 10 days."

We called AT&T & we had a phone line in 24 hours and a DSL box in 2 days that works fantastic - no down times at all, knock on wood.

We would never want to be a customer of a company that treats people the way we were treated. We were even offering to pay their installers extra to come out - looking for any kind of solution, even at our expense when it was their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area