U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 16,080 times

Advertisements

I am looking for career opportunities in Greenville. I have been living in the Woodruff Road/Simpsonville/Mauldin area since 2001 and cant seem to find a job here in Greenville. I currently work as a Quality Supervisor, for a food manufacturerer, 70 miles from my home. I have also worked as a production supervisor and as an Internal Auditor. I love Greenville and dont want to move but lately I have expanded my job search to include moving because I cant find how to get into the companies in the area. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,372,489 times
What skills do you have? Trade, degree, etc. Greenville is strong in technical/engineering and nursing. Other than that I don't know. Its an engineering hub. I work at GE in quality assurance test. Required an industrial electronics degree.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 PM

My best friend works at the GE in Wilmington! So we have looked at GE here in Greenville. She too is an Engineer and I havent found anything on the GE site that doesnt require a technical degree. I have a general Bachelors degrre in Management with a concentration in Personnel. I currently have 1/3 of my Masters Degree in Human Resources completed. I currently work as a Quality Supervisor for a food manufacturer. I began there as a Production Supervisor. Before that I did InventoryInternal Audit in retail.
Thank you for the reply and anything you can think of is very much appreciated!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 PM

Thats probably why its so hard. There is not a strong demand for that in Greenville right now with the credit crunch going on. Technical/engineering/nursing is the wave in Greenville right now. Have you checked out the employment commission? They usually have something.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:17 PM

LOl. For six years? Production is production. I think, though, it is generally hard because most introduction to companies come in the form of networking.... ' Oh. I know someone we can place in that role' or Here is a resume... He/She would be great. But I know I am blessed to have employment.. and decent employment at that. But since I stumbled onto this forum I wanted to see if I can find SOMEONE who can assit me in looking to find a career in the area. I have a house so if I move, and cant find a company with a decent relo pkg then that too will become a nightmare. So I would prefer to find something here so I wouldnt have to try to sell the house.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 PM

6 posts, read 11,795 times
Quote:
What skills do you have? Trade, degree, etc. Greenville is strong in technical/engineering and nursing. Other than that I don't know. Its an engineering hub. I work at GE in quality assurance test. Required an industrial electronics degree.

I could be in a similar boat! I'm moving to Greenville in a couple of months. I have an MS and an MBA, but my BS is in business management.

I'm hoping my 23 years of ES&H experience will help me to continue to work in the ES&H field.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm not sure what to tell you friend. I moved here in 2004 and haven't had a problem with work. Its just different for different folks I guess. I would say check job service on Pendelton.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldieloxx View Post
I could be in a similar boat! I'm moving to Greenville in a couple of months. I have an MS and an MBA, but my BS is in business management.

I'm hoping my 23 years of ES&H experience will help me to continue to work in the ES&H field.
Gotta have safety.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:32 PM

I think you should be ok! Having that long term, specialized knowledge in environmental, health and safety should make you marketable to different types of manufacturing. And since you are interested in continuing in that line of work, and have so much experience, you should find an opportunity. When you do find that opportunity, which will probably be before I find an opportunity in the area, please keep me in mind so I can hopefully get a foot in the door fo your new company!!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 PM

npresident, do you need to stay in the same field? Or you willing to change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area