Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,599 times

Advertisements

Fripp (Vacation Rental by owner)

I recently rented a house on Fripp for a wk @ $5k.
"Dolphin Watch" 402 Tarpon Blvd
It was fine - nothing fancy, could use updating!!!
This was our yearly FAMILY vacation!

The OWNER FAILED to RETURN our SECURITY DEPOSIT!!!!!!

The deposit was $200 which wouldn't make or break me after
paying $5000 plus for the week however....
5 days AFTER we checked out & 3 days after he cashed our Deposit check, I rec'd a phone call stating there was cat urine odor in the house
and the carpet would have to be cleaned & possibly replaced??????

I don't even own a cat. I have 3 dogs & had I wanted to bring my pets I would have leased a "pet-friendly" home.

Owner told me it "must" be our family that left the odor?? I was basically speechless & appalled at the accusation!
I've leased homes for our many Family summer vacations (thru Real Estate agencies) & never had any issues.
This was my first & last "vacation rental by owner" (VRBO)

Word to the wise: when renting "from owner" - request a walk thru prior to unpacking and upon your exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,637,762 times
Ok? Where exactly is this? I'm confused.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:55 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
Fripp Island should probably be posted in the SC forum.

There are lots of different owners on VRBO. Don't let this one bad experience prevent you from using the service in the future. Just don't rent from the same person.

We rented a house in Disney off of VRBO and had no problems.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,599 times
Fripp Island, SC is in Beaufort -

Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,311,677 times
Default Use Credit Card When Booking VRBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrippTraveler View Post
Fripp (Vacation Rental by owner)

I recently rented a house on Fripp for a wk @ $5k.
"Dolphin Watch" 402 Tarpon Blvd
It was fine - nothing fancy, could use updating!!!
This was our yearly FAMILY vacation!

The OWNER FAILED to RETURN our SECURITY DEPOSIT!!!!!!

The deposit was $200 which wouldn't make or break me after
paying $5000 plus for the week however....
5 days AFTER we checked out & 3 days after he cashed our Deposit check, I rec'd a phone call stating there was cat urine odor in the house
and the carpet would have to be cleaned & possibly replaced??????

I don't even own a cat. I have 3 dogs & had I wanted to bring my pets I would have leased a "pet-friendly" home.

Owner told me it "must" be our family that left the odor?? I was basically speechless & appalled at the accusation!
I've leased homes for our many Family summer vacations (thru Real Estate agencies) & never had any issues.
This was my first & last "vacation rental by owner" (VRBO)

Word to the wise: when renting "from owner" - request a walk thru prior to unpacking and upon your exit.
For next time... Our resident "Save More" talk show host in Atlanta, GA, Clark Howard, says to ALWAYS pay deposits on VRBO with a credit card. That way you have recourse if the owner tries to pull something funny. If they won't take a credit card, find another condo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area