Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,398 times

Advertisements

We are a family considering relocating to the Lake Keowee/Seneca area. We have children in elementary and middle school and finding a good school district is very important to us. Does anyone have any personal experience with the schools in this area. A good academic program is most important, athletics isn't a high priority. Any advice or input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 AM

114 posts, read 378,103 times
I know, on the Oconee County side of the lake, that Walhalla schools (Walhalla Elem., Middle, High) are reputed to be very high achieving and that the kids who go there have a lot of family support. Walhalla is less than 10 minutes West of Seneca and is a nice little town.

Aside from that, in Oconee County most schools are above average compared to state wide comparisons. This is a good area to raise a family.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,366 times
Thanks OconeeMountains - I had noticed that Walhalla had good ratings. Unfortunately, in our area in Florida, we'll have some schools that manage to get decent test scores, but the culture of the school is not so desirable. The typical drugs, fighting, etc. So, it is nice to have feedback from people in the area, not just paper statistics. Thanks for your response.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM

I am glad to help.

I will add one thing because I believe you are an out-of-stater from your tag (Florida). If you do decide to move your family to this area you will likely be pleased by the quality of the schools, family atmosphere and wealth of outdoor activities to keep you, and the kids entertained. I do caution, however, that if you come to S.C. from a more 'fast paced' state (Like FL, or anywhere in the Northeast) you should not expect the same sort of lifestyle you are used to. Things move a bit slower here (no, they don't stand still), people are more friendly, and life is not entirely centered around a dollar.

So, that said, if you are looking for a beautiful place to live with a slower, but great lifestyle, this may be the place for you all. It has been known to happen in the past, however, that folks come from other parts of the country (e.g., our area is quite popular with Floridians, folks from the Northeast and Midwest) and want to change this area to suit their old lifestyle they were accustomed to 'back home'. This simply won't happen. Oconee County, SC and surrounding areas are quite different from those areas (and many would say in good ways) and you might be dissapointed if your expectations were similar to those who thought it would 'change' to meet their needs. I believe this is a great place to live and I hope you find it so. The beautiful natural setting and warm friendly culture complement our easy going lifestyle. This is just a word to the wise so that you and your family would understand what some who have come from other states have faced in the past. Depending on your attitude and expectations your experience may be completely different. In fact, many have come from other areas, found that they love this area, and now happily raise their kids here. I hope your experience is the same. Blessings~

Old 07-19-2008, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,326 times
We have lived in the Clemson area since 1989. When we moved here from Indiana, we were very concerned about the school systems in SC due to their poor reputation. We were advised to have our kids go to the Clemson schools because they have the best reputation. I have to say, Daniel High School (although currently nothing pretty to look at), does have a good reputation.....in my opinion, mostly because most of the kids attending Daniel come from homes where education is important, parents are educated, and are frequently associated with the University. Daniel is building a new school. There is a general belief by colleges that an C at Daniel is equivalent to an A at other SC schools. The other option is private schools, most of which are Christian oriented. Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:49 PM

77 posts, read 290,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OconeeMountains View Post
I know, on the Oconee County side of the lake, that Walhalla schools (Walhalla Elem., Middle, High) are reputed to be very high achieving and that the kids who go there have a lot of family support. Walhalla is less than 10 minutes West of Seneca and is a nice little town.

Aside from that, in Oconee County most schools are above average compared to state wide comparisons. This is a good area to raise a family.
Could you comment on the increasing # of Hispanic students in the Walhalla district as compared to the rest of Oconee County? Is there any specific employer that is attracting Hispanic population? Thanks for any insight you have.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 AM

There are a number of manufacturing employers in the area which attract both hispanic and non-hispanic workers. Most of the hispanic individuals came about 10 years ago when some new manufacturing plants had opened. The area (the County in general) provides much more of a manufacturing base as a type of employment than surrounding areas (or most of America for that matter), so this sort of employment is still available to all shades of people who live here. We are not, however, inundated by ugly industrial areas. In contrast, it is very green and 'natural' here with lots of trees, rivers and rural scenery.

In any case, there is a significant hispanic population in and around Walhalla. Perhaps around 15% of population. Overall, the community gets along very well and to my knowledge, the influx of the hispanic community over the last 10-15 years has not notably changed the historically high performing schools or hurt the community. In fact, a look at the hispanic owned businesses and homes in the area hints that they have likely helped bolster the local economy. There are several well established, thriving latino churches and some great Mexican restaurants (who could live without?) In sum, while the established Hispanic population here is certainly a visible and involved part of the community, the 'roots' of the area (original German, then Irish immigrants) still largely define the local culture, family traditions and academic standards. I hope this answers your question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area