Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:58 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,685,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Yes, Taylors has it's own fire department. We pay taxes to the Taylors Fire & Sewer District. We also pay county taxes. That is why we receive county police protection, not city police protection. There are many citizens of this county that don't pay Greenville city taxes yet enjoy the benefits of the city of Greenville. We do pay city taxes in some form when we visit the restuarants and retail shops. We also pay Greer city taxes when we eat in Greer. That doesn't mean we are takingadvantage of that particular city, does it. The folks that live in Taylors enjoy the same benefits of the entire county of Greenville just like those in T.R., Simpsonville, Mauldin, Greer, etc., etc. You guys just don't get it. Again I say, there are those outside our cocoon of Greenville that know all about are true size. They don't the county population and they know the metro population. That is why announcement s keeping come in about new business and industry coming to our area, not just our city. We don't need a certain inflated city population count to show what we are truly are, a huge population center, and one that I am proud to be a part of.
My argument is different from the other guys. I just have a problem with an "area" being listed as a population. I'm not picking on Taylors, this goes for Berea as well. Again, what's the criteria to be listed as a population center on atlases and maps? I'm honestly very surprised that their is a Taylors Fire Dept. I was always under the impression that a city or town had to be incorporated to have it's on emergency services. I wonder what the criteria is to have ones own FD is also. The fact is their is no such city or town known as Taylors yet it reaps the benefit of having it's population listed. Is there a reason the people of Taylors have never incorporated into a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,256,333 times
Probably so they won't pay city taxes.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Probably so they won't pay city taxes.

Yet they still get to count as a "population center". That just doesn't seem right.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,660,179 times
This thread got crazy. If furmanpals doesn't want the great things the city has or will be getting in the future like mass transit when gas hits $6 a gallon then so be it. I just hope he or she doesn't come on here and starts complaining about the lack of mass transit when it happens. Also, I think the city police should protect you when you're in the city limits whether you're a city resident or not. Don't forget about all of the out-of-town visitors who visit our city every year. They would want protection too and they get it. And I don't think Taylors gets counted as a population center Sonrise. I live in Powdersville and I know our unincorporated area doesn't get counted separately. It's included with Anderson County's.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-21-2008 at 12:02 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 AM

835 posts, read 2,297,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
As long as the place you're in is a small town in reality. You have a tax base or 60,000 but over 500k using the city at any given time. You do the math and then ask another question.
I meant it seemed kind of like the first pages were saying that big cities were so much better but maybe not. It's just that there are a lot of arrogant people who seem to think that living in a big city makes them better than everywhere else in the US. I just hope people don't get like that.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 AM

835 posts, read 2,297,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
This thread got crazy. If furmanpals doesn't want the great things the city has or will be getting in the future like mass transit when gas hits $6 a gallon then so be it. I just hope he or she doesn't come on here and starts complaining about the lack of mass transit when it happens. Also, I think the city police should protect you when you're in the city limits whether you're a city resident or not. Don't forget about all of the out-of-town visitors who visit our city every year. They would want protection too and they get it. And I don't think Taylors gets counted as a population center Sonrise. I live in Powdersville and I know our unincorporated area doesn't get counted separately. It's included with Anderson County's.
Ever been on mass transit in a big city? It's not the most pleasant experience. Everybody looks sad, nobody talks to each other and some people can get really rude with their cell phone calls.

Maybe not everything is about getting material things that come with the growth. Sure, they're nice but bad stuff comes with those things.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Well, you'd be dead wrong. As I'm typing this right beside my laptop is the 2006 Roadmaster Road Atlas. In the back of the atlas under South Carolina there are two listings; counties and cities. Under the cities portion Taylors is listed with a population of 20125, Berea is listed @ 14148 and Sans Souci; 7836. None of these places are incorporated towns or cities and it's really wrong for them to have populations that rightfully belong to Greenville, (which is listed w/a pop. of 56002, by the way). Take a look at any map or Atlas and these 3 "places" will be listed with their populations, taking almost 40k away from the real population of Greenville. That's a HUGE difference. I don't care about what the other guys are saying, my only gripe is that, yes, Greenville's population is being way under counted due to these fake cities. It's morally wrong in my opinion for non cities to be counted as such in a population count. That would be like your sub-division being listed on a map as a population center.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Ever been on mass transit in a big city? It's not the most pleasant experience. Everybody looks sad, nobody talks to each other and some people can get really rude with their cell phone calls.

Maybe not everything is about getting material things that come with the growth. Sure, they're nice but bad stuff comes with those things.
Ever seen anyone happy in their car on I-85 at 5:30? Not the most pleasant experience either is it? How about the smog? Hmmm. I've seen people getting out of their cars ready to fight. Think! I've been on mass transit in Atlanta and Charlotte, no one the way you are describing. Have you ever been on mass transit? What are you gonna do as Greenville grows, move one day? Its not going to stop.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,731,501 times
I don't believe the folks that live in the fire and sewer district of Taylors have ever asked that their population count at all. We could care less where it is counted. I would be thrilled if it were counted in the city of Greenville numbers. To be honest, I am not sure why Taylors and Berea are shown as cities in population counts. That makes no sense. To answer your question Sonrise, the folks in Taylors voted down twice in the last 50 years the "opportunity" to become the City of Taylors. Both times it was voted down simply due to the fact that the extra taxes property owners would have to pay was not worth the benefits, or benefit in this case. The only true benefit was to have our own police protection. Again, we already receive that from the county. The City of Greer would love to annex Taylors, but to do that would cause another civil war. Guys, please don't get me wrong. I would love for the population of Greenville to be 100,000 or more. Heck, why not just do what Jacksonville did and take over the whole county? Bottom line, that is not going to happen. We need to be satisfied with the hand we are dealt with because of zoning laws. That hand is a beautiful metro area that is second to none. That is why so many people and so many new businesses are moving here. Let's all be proud of who we are. We are proud citizens of the county of Greenville, S.C., population over 400,000. That is the story we need to focus on.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I don't believe the folks that live in the fire and sewer district of Taylors have ever asked that their population count at all. We could care less where it is counted. I would be thrilled if it were counted in the city of Greenville numbers. To be honest, I am not sure why Taylors and Berea are shown as cities in population counts. That makes no sense. To answer your question Sonrise, the folks in Taylors voted down twice in the last 50 years the "opportunity" to become the City of Taylors. Both times it was voted down simply due to the fact that the extra taxes property owners would have to pay was not worth the benefits, or benefit in this case. The only true benefit was to have our own police protection. Again, we already receive that from the county. The City of Greer would love to annex Taylors, but to do that would cause another civil war. Guys, please don't get me wrong. I would love for the population of Greenville to be 100,000 or more. Heck, why not just do what Jacksonville did and take over the whole county? Bottom line, that is not going to happen. We need to be satisfied with the hand we are dealt with because of zoning laws. That hand is a beautiful metro area that is second to none. That is why so many people and so many new businesses are moving here. Let's all be proud of who we are. We are proud citizens of the county of Greenville, S.C., population over 400,000. That is the story we need to focus on.
Can't say anything negative towards that post. You are right, sorry if I gave you such a hard time. We all want different things, thats ok. We all have a wonderful place in which to live. I wouldn't give this area up for any other area and enjoy growing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area