Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,684,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I don't believe the folks that live in the fire and sewer district of Taylors have ever asked that their population count at all. We could care less where it is counted. I would be thrilled if it were counted in the city of Greenville numbers. To be honest, I am not sure why Taylors and Berea are shown as cities in population counts. That makes no sense. To answer your question Sonrise, the folks in Taylors voted down twice in the last 50 years the "opportunity" to become the City of Taylors. Both times it was voted down simply due to the fact that the extra taxes property owners would have to pay was not worth the benefits, or benefit in this case. The only true benefit was to have our own police protection. Again, we already receive that from the county. The City of Greer would love to annex Taylors, but to do that would cause another civil war. Guys, please don't get me wrong. I would love for the population of Greenville to be 100,000 or more. Heck, why not just do what Jacksonville did and take over the whole county? Bottom line, that is not going to happen. We need to be satisfied with the hand we are dealt with because of zoning laws. That hand is a beautiful metro area that is second to none. That is why so many people and so many new businesses are moving here. Let's all be proud of who we are. We are proud citizens of the county of Greenville, S.C., population over 400,000. That is the story we need to focus on.
I agree with you in theory and want to make sure you realize that my opinion is in no way personal. The problem is perception as opposed to reality. Many people throughout the country think that Greenville is much smaller then it actually is (If they think of Greenville at all). The difference between 60k and 100k people is immense in literal numbers as well as perception, not to mention the fact as another poster so wisely said the amount of state and federal dollars due Greenville. I don't even live in Greenville, I'm up here in Greertucky, but what's right is right. I don't know how one would go about rectifying the situation, or if they even could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,653,561 times
Does Census lists Taylors as a population center?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Does Census lists Taylors as a population center?
Yup:

Taylors CDP, South Carolina - Population Finder - American FactFinder

Old 07-21-2008, 05:10 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,730,211 times
Dumb question. What is CDP?

The bottom line is that we all are passionate about Greenville and this area. There is nothing wrong with any of our discussions as long as we all remain civil, which I think was the case. I am proud to be able to post on the same subject of Greenville as the rest of you. We all love Greenville and want the rest of the world to know that.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM

835 posts, read 2,296,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Ever seen anyone happy in their car on I-85 at 5:30? Not the most pleasant experience either is it? How about the smog? Hmmm. I've seen people getting out of their cars ready to fight. Think! I've been on mass transit in Atlanta and Charlotte, no one the way you are describing. Have you ever been on mass transit? What are you gonna do as Greenville grows, move one day? Its not going to stop.
I actually just spent a few weeks riding mass transit in another big city aside from those listed and it was like I described. Although, I have seen a video of some crazy person on an Atlanta train.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 PM

617 posts, read 2,564,940 times
Hahaha! I'm pressin charges, i'm pressin charges!
YouTube - Crazy Subway Girl - With subtitles

Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
Hahaha! I'm pressin charges, i'm pressin charges!
YouTube - Crazy Subway Girl - With subtitles

Exhibit A on why drugs shouldn't be legalized!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,730,211 times
Let's get back on subject. I found the answer to my own question about, what is a CDP? This is taken directly from the Census Bureau website. It now all makes sense as to why Taylors has it's own population count. Most of you may know this already but some don't, or else this subject would never have come up. CDP is the abbreviation for Census Designated Place. A CDP is a statistical entity defined for each decennial census according to the Census Bureau guidelines, comprising a densely concentration of population that is not within an incorporated place, but is locally identified by a name.

This describes my home place of Taylors, S.C., zip code 29687. It's hard to realize this area includes the area of around Eastside High School to a few miles from the North Greenville University campus, including most of the Blue Ridge area. Taylors was also the home of one of the most modern resorts in America, located in the old Chick Springs area. This resort had it all, from fine dining and rooms to horseback trails. If you ever want to see some old pictures of the resort, stop by the Greer State Bank branch in Taylors. It was quite a place.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:01 PM

617 posts, read 2,564,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post

Exhibit A on why drugs shouldn't be legalized!
Or, Exhibit A on why most drugs shouldn't be legalized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Taylors was also the home of one of the most modern resorts in America, located in the old Chick Springs area. This resort had it all, from fine dining and rooms to horseback trails. If you ever want to see some old pictures of the resort, stop by the Greer State Bank branch in Taylors. It was quite a place.
I remember reading about the Chick Springs resort/hotel in a book at Barnes & Noble. It looked very nice and it was huge! That would be cool if it was still there.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,253,504 times
The main point is none of these surrounding areas would be what they are if it wasn't for Greenville point blank. The proximity to Greenville is one of the biggest selling points of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area