U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:02 AM

9 posts, read 22,931 times
Default Undesirable areas around Greenville?

Greenville area is looking better and better....but shopping online is impossible because I can't see areas, neighborhoods, etc. So here is my question what are the areas I would want to stay away from...I don't want to end up in the wrong part of town. There seems to be a lot in Easley...but is Easley a desirable area, etc. I guess the ? I'm asking is...where would you NOT move to in the general greenville-spartanburg area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2006, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,842 times
Hi-I live near Easley-in the Powdersville area. As far as Easley goes, most of it is nice- areas that could potentially be undesirable would be in the downtown area or areas listed b/w Easley and Pickens. These are high rental areas and property values tend to be lower.
Part of Easley is in Pickens county and part is in Anderson county. Usually, the Anderson county side is more desirable due to school districts.
I personally feel the worst part of Greenville to live in due to crime, schools, property value etc is the Berea/San Souci area. It is definetly the area most likely to be featured on our local news. I hope this helped some. If you have a specific area, street you are thinking of, I will be happy to give you any insight I can into the area. Good Luck.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:29 PM

1,958 posts, read 3,293,602 times
Greetings PowdersvilleNative,

Your just the person I need We've been looking at the Easley, Pickens, Travelers Rest, Taylors, Liberty, Welcome, Layman, Walhalla, Westminster, and Williamston areas. We will not be able to make the move until late 2007.

In those areas I mentioned I found them to be low crime and have the usual amenities such as Home Depot, Lowe's, BI-LO, Walmart. As of yet, I don't have any specific area within those towns that we would move to. We are of the type that likes to either build on acreage, or find a home on land NOT in a subdivision.

Now, if there were huge lots in a good subdivision that is not restrictive to death, and no HOA dues or fees, we would be open to that. We're looking for low crime, peace and quiet, low property tax. Schools are not a problem we have no school age children (already grown).

We are conservative, law abiding, simple people. We care about the communities we live in and look for ways to contribute to a safe and family friendly area.

Any suggestions in those areas, what to avoid and not to avoid?

Thanks so much!

Mark

Old 06-15-2006, 04:01 PM

14 posts, read 70,631 times
Default I would and did

I live in the Greenville/ LAurens Area (but not that far from Spartanburg). I don't know how reliable my opinion is though. I grew up near Camden, NJ and would not go there after dark. There is no place I have been in SC that I would not go to after dark, but I prefer to stay away from the cities. I kind of like the change of pace the country offers.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,788 times
Default From Camden, NJ to SC via Central Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker View Post
I live in the Greenville/ LAurens Area (but not that far from Spartanburg). I don't know how reliable my opinion is though. I grew up near Camden, NJ and would not go there after dark. There is no place I have been in SC that I would not go to after dark, but I prefer to stay away from the cities. I kind of like the change of pace the country offers.
Well what do you know! Seven years ago I escaped from the now infamous Camden made possible by Dianne Sawyer's 20/20. Our useful life in Central Fl has come to an end due to the astronomical housing cost ($260,000 median for modest home) so in an act of survival we are now relocating to Easley/Liberty/Anderson area. I think we found an attractive rental in Liberty so we can get to know the demographics. Needless to say we have a wealth of street knowledge. We are a family of 6 (4 children) I am a Black male and my wife is somewhat white looking Latin female who looks more middle eastern than Spanish. Children are honor roll students. What can we expect. I am bracing for the truth!!!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 PM

113 posts, read 309,108 times
We are looking at the Cardinal-woods development located in Easley. For the native of Powderville, is that the desirable part of Easley. It is located off of 123 near some car dealerships etc as it branches into 154. We did some exploring on the back streets through other developments and they all looked very nice. We are headed back next month hopefully to select a lot to build on. I believe the older part of the town of Easley near the railroad tracks is that portion the previous post was not to excited about. Many older stores that looked as though many were being revitalized. I've been told that in the good section of Easley there is much planned building of new buinesses.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:34 PM

8,740 posts, read 12,341,278 times
^^^Hey Allentown. I live in Powdersville too. Cardinal Woods would be an excellent place to look because it is in the nice part of Easley and new restaurants including Outback Steakhouse, Copper River Grill, and Golden Corral are going in right across the street from there. Outback Steakhouse is already open and the others are currently under construction. There is also a large shopping center planned just a few blocks up Highway 123 from where Cardinal Woods and the new restaurants are located. Here is what the new shopping center will look like if it gets built: http://www.cedarwooddevelopment.com/landcfc0.html?id=Easley_TC_Location (broken link) Retailers announced so far are Super Wal-Mart and Kohl's. It will also include restaurants, movie theater, hotel, and office park.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 AM

25 posts, read 56,717 times
Default Greenville is very racist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamusubayu View Post
Well what do you know! Seven years ago I escaped from the now infamous Camden made possible by Dianne Sawyer's 20/20. Our useful life in Central Fl has come to an end due to the astronomical housing cost ($260,000 median for modest home) so in an act of survival we are now relocating to Easley/Liberty/Anderson area. I think we found an attractive rental in Liberty so we can get to know the demographics. Needless to say we have a wealth of street knowledge. We are a family of 6 (4 children) I am a Black male and my wife is somewhat white looking Latin female who looks more middle eastern than Spanish. Children are honor roll students. What can we expect. I am bracing for the truth!!!!!
I lived in Greenville (mostly within city limits) for 7 years. My family still lives there. I could not stand the people there. A massive amount of ignorant, backward, racist pigs. There are, to be sure, decent people, but just way too many of the former for my liking.

Most of them will of course be too cowardly to ever say anything outright. But they will be talking behind your back. They will not want you in their neighborhoods or schools. I kid you not. I am white. I lived, worked, and went to school with these people. They were up in arms about a black family moving in to the neighborhood, and many decided not to speak to them. Shameful.

There was already one black family in the neighborhood (the father was an M.D.). That house was known as the "nig" house...I am not lying. A doctor and his family. More educated and classier than just about anyone else in the neighborhood and this is what they say. It was sickening.

Hopefully, things have gotten better. I haven't lived there for 12 years, but I do still visit my family there. From what I see and what I have heard, though, it hasn't changed...just grown into a larger area with no mitigation of the underlying problems I had with the place.

And what is up with Easley? I swear that was a sleepy little backwater town when I lived there and now it is one 5 mile long strip of neon and traffic.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM

35 posts, read 165,439 times
Peekles, Greenville won't know what hit it when my family moves in. I was there for a visit, and ran into one person who warned me of buying a home on the west side of town, "unless I wanted to learn Spanish."

I almost decked him. Needless to say, I won't be back to the Atlanta Bread Company until the franchise is under new ownership.

But, he was the only person who spoke in that manner.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:16 PM

282 posts, read 458,740 times
My suggestion would be to find a Realtor to help you with finding a home. They know the area and can find homes that suit your needs. Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area