U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 17,408 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion about the hospitals in Greenville. I will be looking in the Greenville area as a possible retirement area at the end of this month. Any good suggestions as to areas to look at. At our age health issues are constantly arising; that is the reason for the question.
Also what about Anderson and Easley?
Thanks
Bernie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,771,089 times
I don't have any answers but will echo bump your question. I have *heard* Greenville Hospital system is good from some medical people I know who work in the area. No top notch hospitals like Johns Hopkins, Duke, MD Anderson etc. though.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:34 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,219,367 times
The Greater Greenville area is served by 4 hospital systems, I believe:

Greenville Hospital System (downtown, Simpsonville, eastside, Travelers Rest)
Spartanburg Regional (Greer)
St Francis (Eastside, downtown)
Palmetto Health Baptist (Easley)

Am I missing any?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:50 PM

5,892 posts, read 11,361,068 times
I'd like to know more about this too as a recent transplant to the area and in need of new healthcare providers. Anyone know of a good internist, preferaby female, that's accepting new patients while we're on the subject?

Old 07-19-2008, 02:22 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,622,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie40 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about the hospitals in Greenville. I will be looking in the Greenville area as a possible retirement area at the end of this month. Any good suggestions as to areas to look at. At our age health issues are constantly arising; that is the reason for the question.
Also what about Anderson and Easley?
Thanks
Bernie
I recommend looking around the GHS main campus on Grove Road at Faris Road. Swansgate and Chanticleer are very nice neighborhoods to live, if you are looking for high class dwelling next to the Upstate's largest hospital complex. The Augusta Road area surrounding the campus is full of nice quality established and new homes under large old trees.

The Pelham-Batesville area is very nice if you like newer suburban subdivisions near the Eastside/Greer hospitals. Additional roads in that area to check out include Brushy Creek Road, Suber Road, S.C. 14, and Roper Mountain Road.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,837,698 times
We have some of the best hospital systems in the entire U.S. We are now a medical research campus city for the Medical University of S.C. Come to Greenville, you will get quality health care in some of the most modern facilities of anywhere in the nation.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:01 PM

191 posts, read 366,694 times
PhotogGal,

My doctor is at Oaktree Medical Center at 3505 Pelham Road (on the I-85 end of Pelham). The few times I've been there, I've seen the physician's assistant, Sital Patel, who is absolutely phenomenal. I'm WAY happier with care from Sital than from other MD's in the past. And, I know that if she has any questions, there are 2 female internists right there.

Just my two cents!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 17,408 times
Thanks for all the info. I just found the thread again.
I will be in the area next week looking around.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:46 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,927,548 times
This is probably way more than you want to know, but I know a little bit about hospitals so I thought I would chime in...

Greenville Memorial Hospital is the largest hospital in the state, and is the main campus for Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center. As an academic medical center, Greenville Memorial Hospital serves as a teaching hospital as well as a source of research into new therapies and cures. It has a good reputation, and continues to make great strides. The trauma center is level 1 (i.e., can handle any case that walks in the door), and as a result it serves as the tertiary care center for the entire Upstate region. You will also find just about every specialty and subspecialty there. Unless you have the rarest of diseases, they will be able to help you.

One good thing about GHSUMC is that it is part of the University HealthSystem Consortium, an alliance of the nation's leading academic medical centers. Here's a brief PDF file explaining what that means:

http://www.ghs.org/cms400example/uploadedFiles/UHC%20Membership.pdf (broken link)

GHSUMC also has hospitals scattered around the Greenville metro area, many of which serve as smaller community hospitals that handle mostly minor procedures and outpatient visits. Most are new, and many are good too - but they refer their complex cases to Greenville Memorial Hospital.

Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital has been in Greenville for many years. It is a private hospital, and its main campus is located on the edge of the downtown area. It is a very good hospital in my opinion, and is preferred by some because it is private (as opposed to Greenville Memorial, which is public). I have had very good experiences with St. Francis, even when I have had relatives who were hospitalized. As with Greenville Memorial, I feel that the physicians and allied health professionals at St. Francis are excellent.

Bon Secours St. Francis also has multiple locations. Aside from their downtown hospital, they have St. Francis Women's & Family Hospital in the midtown area and are starting construction on a new hospital in the Millennium Campus area uptown.

I am not as familiar with Spartanburg Regional Hospital, but I know that it excels in stroke treatment. They, too, have multiple locations in the Greenville-Spartanburg metro.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM

29 posts, read 83,339 times
I have a friend that works at GHS and they would not take their dog there. They have shared numerous goof ups at the hospital. I would recommend An-med. I've heard great things about them. But then again, depending on your health conditions, you may need a hospital that offers more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area