Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:58 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,380 times

Advertisements

Meh, the education may not be ranked as high as people would like, but if students want to be there then there's plenty to offer and you can get yourself anywhere you want to be. There are kids who, unfortunately, don't care about school and are there because they have to be. There were so many students at Greenville High who did nothing in classes, didn't do homework, barely graduated, and haven't gone to college. There were also plenty of us who graduated with a good GPA and have gone to schools...I have friends at NYU, Wake Forest, Duke, UNC, Clemson, USC, Belmont, Winthrop, etc. Looking at the numbers on paper you may think that the teaching/discipline itself is bad in public education, but a lot of it is just kids who will never go anywhere in life because they simply don't care.

I just graduated in '06. Too many times I sat in classes watching kids act up, talk, yell, and do whatever else they wanted to do while the teacher tried and tried to quiet them and teach. "Students" like that shouldn't even be there...or at least should be in a classroom by themselves. They take away from the rest of us who are there for a reason and they do nothing but make our education system look terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:01 PM

353 posts, read 1,149,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
Meh, the education may not be ranked as high as people would like, but if students want to be there then there's plenty to offer and you can get yourself anywhere you want to be. There are kids who, unfortunately, don't care about school and are there because they have to be. There were so many students at Greenville High who did nothing in classes, didn't do homework, barely graduated, and haven't gone to college. There were also plenty of us who graduated with a good GPA and have gone to schools...I have friends at NYU, Wake Forest, Duke, UNC, Clemson, USC, Belmont, Winthrop, etc. Looking at the numbers on paper you may think that the teaching/discipline itself is bad in public education, but a lot of it is just kids who will never go anywhere in life because they simply don't care.

I just graduated in '06. Too many times I sat in classes watching kids act up, talk, yell, and do whatever else they wanted to do while the teacher tried and tried to quiet them and teach. "Students" like that shouldn't even be there...or at least should be in a classroom by themselves. They take away from the rest of us who are there for a reason and they do nothing but make our education system look terrible.

Thank you for this post. Straight from the horses mouth. And your right...those that want to apply themselves will succeed..even when faced with environments like you described.

moto.... I am doing something about it.... currently building a house in FL...can't wait....only 2 more weeks.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
And Jacksonville isn't an oasis. I have family there. They are actually looking up to Greenville as a model of how a city's downtown should be.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:53 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
I wonder which city has a better transit system?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
All I can say is don't let the door hit your backside on the way out.
Even Clemson has a better transit system than we do. LOL.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
They are working on the transit. Got get Greenvillians out of their cars first. Including me!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
They are working on the transit. Got get Greenvillians out of their cars first. Including me!
Hey, I would love to get rid of my car if I could. I ride CAT bus everytime i'm in the Clemson area.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM

353 posts, read 1,149,004 times
LOL....

Well to stay on topic... I guess I would say Greenville doesn't have too awful much on others mid sized cities...

1. Public schools (-)
2. Expensive airport (-)
3. 4 distinct seasons (+)
4. Horrible infrastructure / traffic especially considering it's a mid sized city (-)
5. Location right on major interstate inbetween 2 nice cities (+)
6. Heard of the bible belt?? Welcome to the belt buckle (-)
7. Unrefined / no culture. Olive Garden, Papa Johns and Taco Bell...c'mon. http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...t-upstate.html (-)

R1v3rrat... on topic and hitting the nail dead square.

Last edited by R1v3rRat; 08-05-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
LOL....

Well to stay on topic... I guess I would say Greenville doesn't have too awful much on others mid sized cities...

1. Public schools (-)
2. Expensive airport (-)
3. 4 distinct seasons (+)
4. Horrible infrastructure / traffic especially considering it's a mid sized city (-)
5. Location right on major interstate inbetween 2 nice cities (+)
6. Heard of the bible belt?? Welcome to the belt buckle (-)
7. Unrefined / no culture. Olive Garden, Papa Johns and Taco Bell...c'mon. http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...t-upstate.html (-)

R1v3rrat... on topic and hitting the nail dead square.
I'm not sure what you're basing your public school information on, but it's not accurate from I've experienced. A minus for what? School facilities? Don't think so.
**The district is just finishing a $1 billion building program that has replaced or renovated every school in the past 7-10 years or so. That's no small task considering this is enough space to accomodate the county's 68,000+ students.
**Greenvillle County Schools boasts the state's ONLY foreign language partial-immersion program (elementary and middle currently, soon adding high school) in both French and Spanish.
**Maybe the District's other educational facilities aren't good enough either? The Fine Arts Center that has already been mentioned? What about the Roper Mountain Science Center? Maybe having such a facility that includes South Carolina's largest planetarium is holding our students back?

Other facts about Greenville County Schools, the nation's 51st largest school district:
-61% of the district's students took the SAT, compared to 48% nationwide
-SAT scores surpass the state's avg and fall just short of the nation's
-ACT scores exceed the national average and the state's
-20% of all Advanced Placement tests in SC are taken by Greenville County students
-92.3% of graduates pursue higher education

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Greenville County has produced many outstanding students who have gone on to attend some excellent colleges and universities. I would put these students up against the best and brightest from other areas of the country.

Don't buy into the media hype about South Carolina public schools being horrible. To start with, Greenville County Schools are much better than just about all of the rest of the state. In addition, South Carolina as a whole wouldn't rank nearly as low if every state used the same measuring system for achievement. I'll stop now before drifting too far off-topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area