U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:42 PM

102 posts, read 381,905 times

Advertisements

Hey Moton,

Thanks for the break!

Do you live there and can you tell me anything agout the job market there?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM

835 posts, read 1,971,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Let someone break into all of these negative post that makes us look like backwards hicks already. To answer the original posters question. A look at the rise in population usually gives you an idea of how accepting a place is, and Greenville's is indeed on the rise. You just got info from a few of the most negative posters on here. Its hard to get correct info from a message board because you don't know who might respond. Greenville is a very international city and we have lots of different people here.
The poster also said she wanted a small town. You mentioned Greenville. Since everybody on here likes to play up that Greenville is bigger then people think, you might not want to say Greenville when someone asks for a small town.

Last edited by waccamatt; 07-28-2008 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-28-2008, 05:00 PM

20 posts, read 51,212 times
Well here's another positive post:

my wife and I were down in the Greenville area for a long weekend checking out the area and into the possibility of being one of those transplants. We talked to anyone and everyone that we could from state park officials (Ceaser head and Paris Mountain), locals in bars ("Bullpen" in Greer if you looking to get a nice drink on), to waiters in downtown Greenville, Realtors at open houses, hotel clerks, and many more people. We also toured the nearly every town surrounding the area. Besides the pasty skin and nasal accent, I am sure we exhibited plenty of other red flags to point out we are nothernerns. Never once did we notice any animosity or rudeness towards us. We were given business contacts in my profession if we do move, given offers to attend a family barbeque, given reduced rates at a hotel when our flight home was cancelled, and many other extreme acts of generousity---all of them unprompted. We have done the looking around thing in a few other towns but never, ever, ever, have we ran into such a friendly, outgoing, and accepting group of people.

Maybe we will come down again and start every conversation with "up North we do it like this..." or "its crazy how you southerners..." to truly test the kindness??

Old 07-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwi View Post
Well here's another positive post:

my wife and I were down in the Greenville area for a long weekend checking out the area and into the possibility of being one of those transplants. We talked to anyone and everyone that we could from state park officials (Ceaser head and Paris Mountain), locals in bars ("Bullpen" in Greer if you looking to get a nice drink on), to waiters in downtown Greenville, Realtors at open houses, hotel clerks, and many more people. We also toured the nearly every town surrounding the area. Besides the pasty skin and nasal accent, I am sure we exhibited plenty of other red flags to point out we are nothernerns. Never once did we notice any animosity or rudeness towards us. We were given business contacts in my profession if we do move, given offers to attend a family barbeque, given reduced rates at a hotel when our flight home was cancelled, and many other extreme acts of generousity---all of them unprompted. We have done the looking around thing in a few other towns but never, ever, ever, have we ran into such a friendly, outgoing, and accepting group of people.

Maybe we will come down again and start every conversation with "up North we do it like this..." or "its crazy how you southerners..." to truly test the kindness??
If you were nice then I'm not surprised you were treated nicely. But if you used those phrases, they probably still would've been nice but I don't think they would've liked you.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM

johnwi

What a wonderful reply!

We will do the same and travel up there. Can you recommend a good place to stay?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:26 PM

4,002 posts, read 5,568,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basa9159 View Post
Hey Moton,

Thanks for the break!

Do you live there and can you tell me anything agout the job market there?
Yes I live here. Have been in the upstate all my life. Been in Greenville area for more than 4 years. When you say "small town" what are you referring to(Greer, Simpsonville, TR, etc.)? Greenville in and of its self is not a small town. It has an urban area of over 302,000 and a metro of over 1 million, but we have a really small city limit area(26.1 square miles). Most of the population lives outside of the city limits but come in the the city limits for business, shopping, night life, etc. Its very sprawly out here. The job market is mostly engineering, technical, and nursing. There are other fields, but these are really big here.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Yes I live here. Have been in the upstate all my life. Been in Greenville area for more than 4 years. When you say "small town" what are you referring to(Greer, Simpsonville, TR, etc.)? Greenville in and of its self is not a small town. It has an urban area of over 302,000 and a metro of over 1 million, but we have a really small city limit area(26.1 square miles). Most of the population lives outside of the city limits but come in the the city limits for business, shopping, night life, etc. Its very sprawly out here. The job market is mostly engineering, technical, and nursing. There are other fields, but these are really big here.
I'm in the restaurant industry and would like to live in a "burb with a good school system to commute from. Any suggestions?

Last edited by waccamatt; 07-28-2008 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-28-2008, 06:08 PM

6,399 posts, read 12,949,647 times
Please let's play nice so I don't need to close this thread.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Sorry.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM

468 posts, read 501,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basa9159 View Post
I'm in the restaurant industry and would like to live in a "burb with a good school system to commute from. Any suggestions?

LOL Don't you love the paranoia in the room?
There are MANY restaurants in and around Greenville, both privately owned and chains.

I am new to the area, from NY. I so far love the Southern culture. I did not leave NY because I hated the Northern culture (not sure what that is). The people where I lived were great (Rochester, NY no where near NYC) For the most part people were friendly, kind and caring. I had many good friends in NY. I left because I hated the weather, I hated the taxes, and most of all because the trip we took to Greenville was fantastic. The people were extremely friendly, the city is beautiful and although the population of the metropolitan area is around 1 million, the city has a small town feel.
Yes there is a lot of sprawl in the surrounding areas ( I live in Simpsonville) But there are some very good developments going in right now, and hopefully there will be many more to follow. I hope that most of the surrounding towns will start to plan their expansion more carefully. I see some developments offering green spaces that is a step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area