Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,253,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
In case you didn't read the OP said she wanted a small town, so why are you still talking about Greenville? Everyone loves to play up the mid-sized city thing.

I don't have a problem with anyone who isn't from here (one of my parents is from the North). What's wrong with keeping things the same way? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Do you really want people moving to your area and complaining about it?

I've been to big cities and while they have a lot of nice material things, they lack in other areas. No one smiles, everyone looks sad or angry and they're all in a big hurry. They are careful talking to people for fear of being robbed or hurt. I think that fear is understandable but I'd rather not have that fear. All this but at least they can say they're "progressive" because they have a bunch of different stuff. If that's progress then I don't want it.
Yes I want all of the above and the non progressive to not come. There are plenty of rural non progressive places in the state to move to. Thats where I would look if I was non progressive and didn't want change. Places like McCormick are actually losing people, but guess what! Its not changing. Perfect place for someone that doesn't want change in my opinion.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:43 PM

49 posts, read 161,366 times
Default Really nice people

My husband and I are from FL and we have visited the area twice............we loved it! We want to move, wish we could do it next week. We are like everyone else that needs to sell their home first. The people were very nice and friendly. We loved the city and have never seen such a beautiful downtown.
I loved your reply Greenville! I don't really think it matters that much where we are coming from. As long as we are friendly and nice to each other, we will all get along.
Greenville seemed to us like a city that is growing. Hopefully, we will be able to see and be part of that growth. The diversity in Greenville makes it a great place to live.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 PM

835 posts, read 2,296,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Yes I want all of the above and the non progressive to not come. There are plenty of rural non progressive places in the state to move to. Thats where I would look if I was non progressive and didn't want change. Places like McCormick are actually losing people, but guess what! Its not changing. Perfect place for someone that doesn't want change in my opinion.
Why should I move? I was here first.

I don't want unnecessary change. I'm wondering how well the small towns in our state our going to do if everyone moves to Greenville.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Well, its obvious you can't stop whats inevitable; so why do you waste air? You've obviously made the choice to be miserable with change. You may have been here first, but the ones in power don't share your vision so you're at a loss. Nothing stays the same. Ever! We are changing everyday.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Well, its obvious you can't stop whats inevitable; so why do you waste air? You've obviously made the choice to be miserable with change. You may have been here first, but the ones in power don't share your vision so you're at a loss. Nothing stays the same. Ever! We are changing everyday.
I may not be able to stop people from coming but I can stop them from coming here and complaining, etc.

It's not really a choice. Change isn't always good.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I may not be able to stop people from coming but I can stop them from coming here and complaining, etc.

It's not really a choice. Change isn't always good.
Change is always good. The only difference is whether the persons experiencing the change accept it well or not. You are an example of it! Its bad in your experience because you live in fear! You fear anything different from yourself. By the way, no one is complaining but you!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,653,561 times
Quote:
In case you didn't read the OP said she wanted a small town, so why are you still talking about Greenville? Everyone loves to play up the mid-sized city thing.

I don't have a problem with anyone who isn't from here (one of my parents is from the North). What's wrong with keeping things the same way? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Do you really want people moving to your area and complaining about it?

I've been to big cities and while they have a lot of nice material things, they lack in other areas. No one smiles, everyone looks sad or angry and they're all in a big hurry. They are careful talking to people for fear of being robbed or hurt. I think that fear is understandable but I'd rather not have that fear. All this but at least they can say they're "progressive" because they have a bunch of different stuff. If that's progress then I don't want it.
There's just one problem. It's broken.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Change is always good. The only difference is whether the persons experiencing the change accept it well or not. You are an example of it! Its bad in your experience because you live in fear! You fear anything different from yourself. By the way, no one is complaining but you!
You can't seriously say change is always good.

I fear anything different from myself? You can't be serious. I don't fear these outsiders. I fear that they're inadvertently changing the Southern character and making Greenville into some big city. I don't necessarily dislike them as people. I just spent a few weeks in a big city and made friends with people up there.

When I didn't like things up there I accepted that that's the way things were and didn't complain. It was my fault coming there if I didn't like it.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
There's just one problem. It's broken.
What's broken? I don't think anything in Greenville was broken.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,487,030 times
Let's please not attack guestposter for his views. We can disagree with him and state why we don't agree, but he is entitled to his own opinions without being personally attacked for them.

I believe that most growth is good, but I would hate to see unbridled suburban sprawl or other growth without strict guidelines for the look and feel of developments. Developers are out to make money only for the most part and many don't care if they destroy the look and feel of an area. I think that is what guestposter fears the most. Since you can't stop growth, maybe you could focus on tightening up the loose zoning laws that South Carolina is famous for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area