Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,314 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are both 53 (no children) and live in Minneapolis and ready to move south. Greenville looks like a good fit for us! We have never visited there (and probably won't have time to do so), but would like to move there by the end of this summer.

That said, any recommendations as to what part of town to look for homes? Like the looks of North Main Street, but don't want to live that close to downtown. Have heard good things about the Five Forks & Simpsonville areas, but we were thinking maybe more on the north side of town, about a 10-15 minute drive. What is Berea like? Also, we'd like a little more property (1-2 acres) than a typical suburban subdivision.

And anyone know about reputable senior/assisted living communities in the area? My husband is a facilities director at a large church, but is more interested in doing something similar in the assisted living area. Or other facility/community...just not a church.

Thanks!
Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
Agreed- not Berea. There's Travelers Rest, and the northern parts of Greer and Taylors where you'll find more land with decent access to Greenville. We're further out, near Tigerville, but it is only 15 miles from our door to downtown Greenville, and takes 25-30 minutes.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:57 PM

143 posts, read 206,722 times
I would strongly suggest renting until you figure out where your husband will work. We are also from Minneapolis Area (Burnsville)- the traffic here is not grid locked by bridges like in Minneapolis, but it can get heavy during rainy weather, school hour drop offs, construction, rush hour.

We live in the Five Forks area and we've been here since 2011, and have about a 20 minute drive to work, traffic permitting (it can take as long as 40 minutes on bad days).

Depending on where your husband lands, there are also larger parcels out in Woodruff or Gray Court.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Everyone is spot on, check out Travelers Rest, Taylors, Greer, Tigerville. Welcome to Greenville! You won't be disappointed. I agree, rent first, even if it's for a couple months.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,314 times
Thanks for the info everyone! All of the areas look nice - Anderson looks like a great town in itself, as does Greer. But for some reason, I've leaning towards Travelers Rest. Like that it is on the north side of town and closer to Asheville. I know, we need to get down there for a visit...but based on the pictures and comments, I'm already sold. We just need to sell our house here and find jobs.

And don't think renting is an option as we have three cats.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
If you have any Anderson questions, let me know!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:30 AM

557 posts, read 864,211 times
Yes, welcome to Greenville and the upstate of South Carolina.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,250 times
Several of my recent clients have ended up looking more towards the Travelers Rest area; the Swamp Rabbit Trail and proximity to the mountains is a big draw, as is the Farmers Market, which keeps growing. And if you are into hamburgers, I can tell you the best place to go near TR .

Your husband should look into the Woodlands at Furman:http://www.thewoodlandsatfurman.org/...VnnBoCgEDw_wcB

Old 06-01-2015, 09:36 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,657 times
TR is a wonderful area. If we ever left Greer that would be my top location to move too. Now in Greer we live north of Wade Hampton Blvd. It's country. Great mountain view and gorgeous. Oh, did I say we're 25 minutes from downtown and the mountains? Aw yeah.

I feel like the northern part of Greer is still a hidden gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area