U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 PM

502 posts, read 817,937 times

Advertisements

That would be great if they actually do, I wonder what they are gonna do about the mold problem

Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM

20 posts, read 90,141 times
Default downtown dilema

Yes, the recent problems downtown stem from parents not knowing what their children are doing. You can create programs for them sure, but it all starts at home. These parents need to to do what they signed up for from conception...parenting. I've been there done that and still doing it today, even with my kids grown and on their own, the parenting never ends. You will always have life learned lessons to show you children. Unforturnetly some folks have kids just because they are physicaly able to conceive, not because they truly want to nourish a young life.
OK, that's my soap box, thanks for listening.

Oh yes, my family has been here now for 2 yrs. transplanted from and born and raised in the Chicago area north suburbs. And believe me there's no comparision of Greenville to Chicago. They are much different, first and foremost in size! You can't compare a city of Chicago's size to Greenville.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM

4,289 posts, read 5,959,888 times
Again though this is the Greenville forum and I don't know why people keep bringing Chicago up. Whats so special about it?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,057,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
Here we go again

Ok, if you don't like what's happening down town, then do something about it. How about starting something for these "thugs" to do, like, a midnight basketball league or youth out reach program? It's easy to sit here and point the finger at something you don't like but it's even harder to do something constructive about it, other then to yell "cops" when you're trying to walk some place (which is something that can get your hurt anywhere you go).

Downtown Greenville is no where near the South Side of Chicago (have you been, g-vegas?).

Bottom line is put up, or shut up.
Really? Are your teenagers allowed out at Midnight to roam? A basketball league at midnight?

What about a plain old curfew like the most of America has? 11 pm, unless you have a work permit? Or is that a no-no?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,407,729 times
A few comments....
I am not a local but I do travel up to Gvl weekly for entertainment and business.
Falls Park is one of my favorite treats and I truly enjoy taking my out-of-state visitors there. I'm so very sad that the water is so polluted that I don't even feel completely comfortable putting my feet in if I have a cut or blister.

But to the point of the thread, it is better to see a problem developing and to intervene before radical action is required. "Thugs" to me mean folks of any race who act in a threatening or even disrespectful manner. If the kids are blocking the path for folks, indirectly causing a threatening environment, there needs to be proactive intervention. Additionally, if any individual is littering, they should be cited. The preventative actions may be seen as petty or "harrassing" to certain groups but we, as taxpayers, should be more concerned about protecting our initial investment and the beauty of the area for the majority than being PC. Loud and offensive music, and yes, I find most rap regardless of who performs it, offensive. Let's be realistic here, folks. Not everyone parents well. Some folks don't even try to parent. If kids are down there unsupervised and exhibiting disruptive behaviors we as a society have to take over the role of disciplinarians. It sucks and it should not be that way. But let's not forget, there are LOTS of disrespectful adults who also need some external discipline enforced. Folks throwing down their disgusting cigarette butts and sticking gum everywhere seem like small infractions but why should those of us who don't litter put up with these things? I think what we need in SC and in this country is a good dose of discipline administered with a heavy hand. Let's put a stop to unacceptable behaviors that infringe on the rights of the folks paying the bills....the TAXPAYERS. If Grvl starts citing folks doing these things it seems to me that action will dissuade those types of visitors until they can follow the rules, but maybe that is too logical for folks. Let's start here and now demanding excellence in behavior and attitude. An individual's right to be ends as soon as they infringe on the rights of another and evidently there is some infringement beginning near Falls Park.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 PM

161 posts, read 363,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Really? Are your teenagers allowed out at Midnight to roam? A basketball league at midnight?

What about a plain old curfew like the most of America has? 11 pm, unless you have a work permit? Or is that a no-no?
I am not a parent. I am also not aware of a country wide curfew. If you feel like this would be a solution, then put in on a ballet.

And the reason, I think, that Chicago is getting brought up is because there are multiple members on here that are either from there or have lived there. It's what we know and there's nothing wrong with making comparisons as well as taking offense when one makes false statements, i.e., Falls Park is like the South Side, when in fact it's not. I've seen how people react on here when someone makes an untrue statement about Greenville so expect the same when the shoe's on the other foot.

And if you want to know "what's so special about it", besides the obvious, here's a link to a story about Chicago's midnight basketball program that has been very sucessful in getting troubled teens off the streets (although the program wasn't orginated there, it started in Maryland). Maybe it would work here, maybe it wouldn't. It's an idea and sometimes, that's all it takes: Chicago's Midnight Basketball League provides young - 12.02.91 - SI Vault

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM

6,493 posts, read 13,536,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

I'm not aware of a curfew for teenagers in most parts of the country. When I was in high school one of our favorite weekend activities was to attend midnight movies.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 AM

502 posts, read 817,937 times
Well I think the whole idea of what she was trying to say was parents need to be parents instead of friends. Unfortunately I think you are correct about the curfew thing, less and less parents care about what there kids do and that is the root of the problem. I agree a city program for kids would be nice, not so sure about a midnight one, but it is a good thing to look into.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 AM

4,289 posts, read 5,959,888 times
There is definetly no lack of Chicago folks moving here.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,057,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
I am not a parent. I am also not aware of a country wide curfew. If you feel like this would be a solution, then put in on a ballet.

And the reason, I think, that Chicago is getting brought up is because there are multiple members on here that are either from there or have lived there. It's what we know and there's nothing wrong with making comparisons as well as taking offense when one makes false statements, i.e., Falls Park is like the South Side, when in fact it's not. I've seen how people react on here when someone makes an untrue statement about Greenville so expect the same when the shoe's on the other foot.

And if you want to know "what's so special about it", besides the obvious, here's a link to a story about Chicago's midnight basketball program that has been very sucessful in getting troubled teens off the streets (although the program wasn't orginated there, it started in Maryland). Maybe it would work here, maybe it wouldn't. It's an idea and sometimes, that's all it takes: Chicago's Midnight Basketball League provides young - 12.02.91 - SI Vault

I didn't ask anything about Chicago. Never brought it up, could care less about the place, wouldn't live there if my life depended on it.

I just know from experience that kids do not need to be out after 11:00.
There is no reason on Earth for kids to be running around downtown after 11.

I don't live in Greenvile, but rather was considering moving there. That's why I asked if there was a curfew. Sounds like to me one is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or