Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 21,823 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

Me, my husband and our baby are following my in-laws to the Greenville area (specifically Taylors) at the end of October. We are both currently employed with GE Capital in Arizona, and hope to transfer, but if we can't transfer we will be looking for work when we get there.

My specific background is in inventory finance (commercial distribution), but I have 8 years with GE, am Green Belt Certified and have my MBA. I've been looking on Monster, but am not finding much in the finance world. Any suggestions on companies that I might look into in the Greenville area?

Can't wait to get to Greenville. We've been waiting to get out of Arizona for years - following the free daycare (aka, in-laws) is just the push we needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Free daycare isn't going to mean anything if you can't find a job. Monster IMHO doesn't have that many listings. Check out sconestop.com it is the best I have found for the area so far. If you transfer within your company make sure you get a cost of living adjustment (which will probably mean less money) or you may find yourself downsized pretty quickly.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Sorry - I should have clarified. Almost ALL Of my Husband's family is in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. The free daycare is an additional benefit, but we are truly moving to be close to family. Additionally, we will be living with the in-laws for as long as we need to get established, find jobs, a place of our own, etc.

Thank you for the great suggestion on sconestop. The position I am actually looking to transfer to pays more. I know everyone says the cost of living is so low in Greenville, but it seems to be pretty on par with Phoenix (especially with the housing market here) so I'm not too worried about payscale.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Excellent advice myrc60
This is exactly what happened to me. Transferred from a company in NYC that has offices here in SC. They allowed me to keep the same pay that I was making in NYC and then were very generous and offered me a few thousand more for accepting the position in the office here in SC.

After being here 2 years lay offs started and my salary became an expense that they could no longer afford to pay! My advice would be the same......ask for a cost of living adjustment so that you are not working here in SC with a target on your back when they start laying people off. However the other factor that many companys look at when deciding who to lay off is seniority.........when you are the last person to be hired and they begin laying off, there is an increased chance that you will be the one who is layed off because you have less seniority then the other people. Last to be hired is usually the first to be let go during lay offs.

SC is not the kind of state where you would want to find yourself laid off and that includes the city of Greenville.......there are a lot of people unemployed here and the unemployment rate in SC is one of the highest in the US. This is a blue collar driven state........here manufacturing, healthcare and retail jobs rule. I know everyone wants to stay with family........but in my opinion if you are stable on your job I would stay there and keep that job. You can always come for visits.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM

Ha - nothing stable about or jobs. I work in the RV industry

I'm actually considering trying to become certified to teach in SC --- husband has given some thought to law enforcement.

We'll have about 6 months of living expenses saved up before we leave, so we'll have some time to search once we get there.

Again - thanks for the insight. My Husband grew up in SC and moved to Phoenix during highschool when his father was transferred for work. He has always wanted to move back, and now that his parents have retired and relocated in Greenville, it is time to get the heck out of here.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 AM

To clarify further - we are not "considering" moving - we ARE moving, and soon.

It feels odd to be discouraged from moving to a city in an online forum

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
It sounds like you've got your head on your shoulders regarding this move OP. I hope 6 months will be enough time for both of you to find a job but I've known some that were laid off in the last year that were out of work longer than that. Of course it depends on what you want to do for a living too. I don't know anything about the COL in Phoenix but most places in the US have higher wages than we do here so a COA would definitely be a plus even if it means less money as you can see from NewYorkBorn's story. Living with parents is a good way to start and I hope it will suit you well as you become acclimated to our city.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Thanks myrc60 - I do appreciate your input!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
It sounds like you've got your head on your shoulders regarding this move OP. I hope 6 months will be enough time for both of you to find a job but I've known some that were laid off in the last year that were out of work longer than that. Of course it depends on what you want to do for a living too. I don't know anything about the COL in Phoenix but most places in the US have higher wages than we do here so a COA would definitely be a plus even if it means less money as you can see from NewYorkBorn's story. Living with parents is a good way to start and I hope it will suit you well as you become acclimated to our city.
I second your thought on this. When I was laid off it took me way longer then 6 months to find employment here in Greenville..........and when I did find employment the pay was not good. There are many others living here who share this story. I have friends who live in Spartanburg, they relocated to the upstate from LA.........the husband has been laid off in Spartanburg and now in spite of his great resume can not find a job in either Greenville or Spartanburg........they are now talking about moving back to LA. As you mentioned most places in the US have higher wages then we do. I am now considering sending my resume out in NYC and if I am hired I will go there for work.....my house will be locked up and used for coming to Greenville for vacation.

Love the quality of life in Greenville but do not love the pay I am receiving in Greenville!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Phalanges View Post
To clarify further - we are not "considering" moving - we ARE moving, and soon.

It feels odd to be discouraged from moving to a city in an online forum

Check out some facts online, you'll be impressed with the Greenville area. My partner and I moved here several years ago and it has been a wonderful experience.

While some simple jobs may be lower paying, if you have a career (and I see you are Green Belt certified along with an MBA), you'll do well here. The cost of living is exceptional, a real plus. Homes have also maintained there value well as Greenville never really went through the boom/bust cycle. Year after year of solid, steady, single digit growth in home values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area