Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:41 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times

Advertisements

Just curious why you chose to move to the Greenville area? What did Greenville have that got your attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 09:37 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,213 times
Nothing. I was forced to move here and have no moolah to get out. It's ok if you're older or have kids, it's a decent place to raise them. But I personally, miss the big cities.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Lot of young professionals in the area. How were you forced to move here? Just curious. Most people move here by choice.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Nothing. I was forced to move here and have no moolah to get out. It's ok if you're older or have kids, it's a decent place to raise them. But I personally, miss the big cities.
Curious what you are missing?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM

I miss more job opportunities, more things to do, more history, museums, more choices, things that stay open past 6pm during the week...just like big cities. I moved here with my parents when I was minor. They have left since then.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:49 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
Quote:
I miss more job opportunities, more things to do, more history, museums, more choices, things that stay open past 6pm during the week...just like big cities. I moved here with my parents when I was minor. They have left since then.
I moved from Chicago so understand how you can miss some of the things a big city offers. For me, however, it's a blessing to be away from all that and enjoy the beauty of Greenville and the surrounding area, the awesome downtown (shade trees on Main St.) and Falls Park, so many restaurant choices, friendly people, a better climate. Some of these are things you can enjoy, poor or not.

I'm sorry that you feel stuck here due to your financial circumstances and that no one you've attempted to contact about what's going on in and around your apt. complex seems to care. I'm sorry that you're having a hard time finding a decent-paying job.

I don't know what the leases are like here, but where I came from, most have a long list of tenant and landlord rights on the back. Read the small print and see if you can find something in there to help you.

I just would like to say that a lot has to do with attitude. There are people in worse circumstances than you who have pulled themselves out of their situations and gone on to achieve great things. I sense that you have a woe-is-me defeatist type attitude, and I don't think that will get you very far in this life. Pardon me if I'm wrong. Just a feeling I got from reading your posts.

Last edited by PhotogGal; 08-09-2008 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-09-2008, 12:10 PM

I'm far from woe is me. Not even close, never have been. Just this lease thing. Nothing seems to be working. And jobs here are few and far between for what I have my degree in and if they do have any, they want people with experience. That's what gets me. People have to have 3-sometimes 15 years experience, which makes it hard to get a job. And Greenville is more engineering focused, which also makes it hard to get anything. And I just plain don't like it here, lol. No offense to anyone who does, but I don't.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I'm far from woe is me. Not even close, never have been. Just this lease thing. Nothing seems to be working. And jobs here are few and far between for what I have my degree in and if they do have any, they want people with experience. That's what gets me. People have to have 3-sometimes 15 years experience, which makes it hard to get a job. And Greenville is more engineering focused, which also makes it hard to get anything. And I just plain don't like it here, lol. No offense to anyone who does, but I don't.
But the majority aren't experiencing what you are, so there seems to be something not right. The population isn't growing for nothing. Ask your parents to help.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Parents are not going to help. Not everyone's parents can help.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
Can we lock this thread or at least steer it back on topic? I don't see how this is a productive or relevant discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area